I am afraid of my oven...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2loopy

War Child
My oven is not electric....it's a gas range with scary pilot lights and stuff.

I just moved into my new apartment this past weekend so I went to use the oven/broiler part for the first time. I've already used the range...it worked fine. So I preheat the oven to 400 and it's working fine but all of a sudden I start smelling something burning. It smelled like plastic was burning or something. So I thought, maybe it's cuz I'm using it for the first time....whatever. (It's a brand new oven, never been used)

So after ten minutes of this smell the smoke alarm in the hall starts going off!!!
:eek: My fiance comes running out of the other room to turn the smoke alarm off.....but there's no smoke...anywhere!!! We were looking everywhere, behind the stove, on the sides, even in other rooms, the halls, the closets, to see if something was burning.

I turned the oven off, and we opened all the windows.

I'm afraid that it's like a gas/carbon monoxide thing or something. There was absolutely NO SMOKE anywhere, just the yucky burning plastic smell.

This morning I stuck my head in the oven (no I'm not suicidal) to see if everything seemed to be ok or if there was anything in there that's not supposed to be....and everything seemed to be fine.

And I wanted to bake a bunch of apple pies and now I can't.
:(

u2loopy said:
(It's a brand new oven, never been used)

I've had this happen. Usually the manufacturer leaves a plastic coating on something.

And, any oven will give a bad smell the first time used.

Hope this works out.

I hope it works out. I am afraid of fire to begin with and I came home once and smelled gas because the pilot lights had gone out.

*Kicks gas oven*
:reject:

For some reason, because when I was younger we hardly ever used our oven, now I'm freaked out by using it. :rolleyes:

*got a pizza stuck to the side of the oven last night* :reject:

Last edited:
my mom came and just as the door was closing she pulled me out. she wasn't too happy with me.

Back
Top Bottom