I adore my best guy friend but I really shouldn't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LikeNoOneBefore

Refugee
Okay so if you recall a little while ago, I talked about my best guy friend who has been confused about his sexuality for a while. Well, a few days ago was his birthday, and we spent the whole day before together. At the end of the day, we were upstairs in his room, laying on his bed with the lights off and talking (yes only talking I'm serious haha). He had his arms around me the entire time and he was playing with my hair, which is out of character even for him. He's usually really affectionate with me, but this was just out of the ordinary. He kept taking my hands and kissing them or putting them up to his lips and I seriously thought that this was it for a second. That he was going to kiss me or ask me out or I don't know. Anyway, ironically enough, he was talking about all the random love interests that were confusing him. I, being the passive and nice person I am, listened. And also, he did something a little more not-just-friends-like. He accidentally (yes, accident) touched my chest and was like "Oh wait that's not your stomach!" And I moved his hand and was like, "No THIS is my stomach." And he said, "Uhh could you show me again because there isn't that much of a difference. I can't tell" which is a joke between us because I'm not exactly the curviest girl in school. :lmao: ...but the fact that he actually SAID "could you show me again" made me do the :eyebrow: face. Later on, I kind of laughed and said, "I need a man." And he said, "You'll get one soon." And then I thought he said, "Maybe tonight." I thought I heard him wrong so I was like "What?" and he switched subjects. I COULD have heard that last part wrong, but I really don't know. (And don't think that he's just wanting me romantically or something because I'm his friend and single. We're way close. He wouldn't do that to me.)

So the next day was actually his birthday. He called me out of the blue and asked me to go to the mall so I came along. Later though, I find out that I've been invited to go out to dinner with his parents and ten year old brother (who wasn't supposed to come along but did). This was odd because I've never gone out to eat with JUST him and his parents before. So I thought of it as some meet the parents sort of thing and I was thinking "Err okay?"

Before we left though, his brother was putting up a huge fight and putting a lot of stress on the family, and for a brief few minutes, it was only going to be him, me and his mom. Of course, he was hurt that his dad and brother weren't going to be there and he was probably pretty embarassed that all of this was happening so he stormed out of the house into the garage. I followed him out, and I grabbed him by the shoulder, turned him around and hugged him. He buried his face in my shoulder and just held me as tight as he could which is also not a common thing for him to do. I think he started tearing up a bit (probably not only from how embarassed he was but also because I gave him like THE MOST AMAZING birthday gift ever earlier that day hahaha) which also surprised me. So we both didn't say anything, and the moment the door to the garage opened, he jumped away from me.

Now after all this happened, I'm thinking "Wow this just might be it. We might be together finally!" And then, little do I know that a few hours later, he would say yes to this guy who asked him out. ...the same guy he was saying he didn't really like but who liked him. Oh. My. Gosh. So I find out the NEXT DAY after school, AFTER all my friends have found out! I, his best friend, was not notified, although he said he called me. (My cell was on all night. He didn't.) So this is how it played out when I found out:

Him: *walking with his new boyfriend, unknown to me*
Me: *runs to catch up*
Him: ...yeah everybody knows already!
Me: Knows about what?
Them: *awkward silence, shifty eyes*
Him: Hahaha funny that SHE doesn't know!
Me: Know what? I didn't hear the whole thing! What? Do I know this already?
Him: Probably.
Me: Well, then tell me!

(A few minutes later)

Me: *links arms with him and walks away* Okay so what don't I know? What happened?
Him: Uhh me and Eric are dating.
Me: Oh. *unlinks arm, walks away quickly so he doesn't see me crying*

I was basically a wreck after school. I kind of walked around half-dead and didn't talk to anyone. He knew I was upset because after he got out of rehearsal and saw me gathering my things (I was not in rehearsal with him. I was some where else.) he came over, hugged me and was like "Tracy what's wroooong? I loooove you!"

So yeah...I didn't tell him. But he apparently talked to other people about it because three of my friends know that I was upset but don't know why. (There are probably more that know I was upset.) I hardly talked to anyone else after school that day. I went home, didn't call him and didn't IM him.

And now, I think he's okay but he thinks I'm mad, I think. (That was a lot of thinks.) I don't know if I should talk to him about it or what. I'm really torn on this whole issue. His parents are basically ignoring him now that they found out about his boyfriend. His boyfriend, who used to be really friendly to me, won't even say hi to me or smile or anything. In addition, my friend's already avoiding the guy because he skipped rehearsals for TWO DAYS with no explanation. His boyfriend's visibly mad about it.

Part of me thinks they'll be over soon, but even so, I don't want this awkwardness in between us. He already knows how I feel so I really don't know what to say. This is all so complicated and ANY advice at all would be appreciated.

(If you read that whole thing, you deserve a gold star...or a cookie or something...:lol: )

Last edited:
Yeah welcome to my world! Haha well, that's where it gets complicated. I'll give you the Reader's Digest version of his sexuality for the past few months.

September: Bi
October: Gay unless you're this one chick
November: Gay
First half of December: Gay but OMG I have a girlfriend now LOL!!!!11
Other half of December: No one's really sure
First half of January: Bi and liking a girl or two and a guy or two
Currently: Bi/Gay? with a boyfriend

That's how it goes. Yep.

My other best friend (a perfectly straight guy haha) told me that I should talk to him before we get in a huge fight about all this, but I don't know when, how or what to say. :huh:

I don't mind so much that he's bi. But I still have a bunch of people saying to me "Bi doesn't exist" so I'm like "Oh great, that means he's gay, right?" Of course, there's the fact that he's still in high school and not quite sure what he wants out of life, so I'm doing my best to be patient with him. I just kind of wish that it didn't involve me being hurt or him acting awkward around me.

I just can't keep up with him. One minute he's hugging me and kissing me on the cheek, the next he's planning on dating this girl, and the next he's making out with a guy. I have no idea what to say to him or how to take all of this. I have gay friends so it's not like this is weird for me, but I've never had to deal with that in this way.

:lol: Beav

And well, we never actually "kissed", but we've gotten pretty close to it. He's kissed me on the neck, cheek and hands before but never like seriously. My mom's theory on all of this is that he might like me and is afraid to date me so he's buying himself time by dating this guy. I really don't know.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I got invited to go with him to Chicago for a day. Just me. No one else. And we're going to go to a Broadway show and everything. This is soooo odd.

I think that he might be afraid of older girls, since I'm about 18 months older than him. (Haha shut up. :lol: ) And since he got cheated on for nine months, sometimes even IN FRONT OF HIM, a few years ago, I can see why he'd be confused.

I'm doing all I can to be the best friend I can be and to be patient, but I am soooo confused, torn and worn out.

Nope. Already saw it. I saw it with the cast of my winter play last year and he went with some kids from his school last year too. We both loved it! We're going to go see The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. I wanted to go see Dirty Rotten Scoundral or A Light In The Piazza, but they come out in summer and we're going in spring.

LikeNoOneBefore said:

My mom's theory on all of this is that he might like me and is afraid to date me so he's buying himself time by dating this guy. I really don't know.

Uh...I've done some pretty dumb things around girls I liked, but I never WENT GAY. I mean, that was not even an option.

Stutter? Trip? Say something really dumb? Steal shit? Been mean to a friend? Gotten walked over? Spent money I didn't have? Acted cool and ended up looking like a complete ass? I have done all those things multiple times. But GO GAY, nope. I mean, I would REALLY have to like a girl to be willing to date another man. "I love you so much I turned gay." You crazy kids these days.

ETA - I saw the Putnam Spelling Bee. It was really funny. The dude from the Class was in it. You'll have a good time.

Once again Beav, I laugh at the truth in your statement. :lol:

tps, I'm really not sure. Usually he gets really excited if someone likes him, but with me, he hasn't. So I don't know, he could be talking about me to all his friends or something and I just don't know. Or he could just not like me. :shrug: :rant:

You're friend is gay! What he did was bad because he fucked with your head and your heart. If you get intimate with him at any point in time in the future, it will turn out badly. You should stay away from your friend so that you and he can re-evaluate your friendship. Stay away from your friend because what he did was bad. Not because he's gay. You were right when you said you need a man. A real man would have told you what he was up to. Not allowed you to hear it from others. You certainly deserve better.

Hiya :wave:

This guy isn't screwing you around, he loves you. You are his best friend, he feels comfortable with you, thats why he kisses, hugs you does a bit of flirting. Its what gay guys do with their close best friends. He isn't attracted to you in a sexul way, but still enjoys mucking around, and showing his affection for you. Unfortunately, I do think he is gay because he is comfortable enough to have a boyfriend, so he is obviously coming to terms with his sexuality. I had a gay best friend in high school, we would dance together, he would touch my boobs, stroke my hair, we'd sleep in the same bed cuddling all night whispering secrets, he'd kiss me on the lips etc, but it was never sexual - just the sort of touchy feely relationship that exists between gay men and their girl friends.

Now this is just my opinion, i could be horribly wrong, but don't waste your tears on him, just love being his best friend, and find a hot hetro guy for yourself! :hug:

Thanks Amy! :hug:

Well, see that's where it gets complicated again. He's been avoiding this guy like the plague, and (I'm at school right now. It's after school so it's okay haha) about a half hour ago, his boyfriend came up to him and was like "We need to talk." And so they went into the practice room right next to the one I was playing piano in, but I didn't stop to listen to what they were talking about. Yesterday, his boyfriend was ticked that he didn't spend time with him or anything. My friend seems really uncomfortable with all this. It's odd.

And about it being normal for a close gay friend to be like this...
I've have a lot of gay friends. I was particularly close to a few before I even met him. Two of them were my best friends, and they never treated me like that at all. Or anyone else for that matter. So that's why I'm really confused. He doesn't even act like they do. He seems like he tries to hard to be gay sometimes. Like he always asks me if he has a gay voice and stuff like that and I just go "Errm not really?" He just does stuff and goes "I am SO gay..." And wow none of my other gay friends ever do that. I really don't know...bah.

LikeNoOneBefore said:
Yeah but I'm not attracted to them. My other best friend is a straight guy, but we'd never date.

Well, never say never! Stranger things have happened. I know someone who was in a platonic relationship with a girl for 10 years. They were each others best friends.

Then, out of the blue something clicked and next thing you know they're engaged.

BonoManiac said:

Well, never say never! Stranger things have happened. I know someone who was in a platonic relationship with a girl for 10 years. They were each others best friends.

Then, out of the blue something clicked and next thing you know they're engaged.

Haha well that friends's dating this other girl so even that doesn't work out. But yeah, he and I just want to be friends anyway so I don't mind it.

Oh, and as a sidenote, if things couldn't get weirder and more complicated, my ex boyfriend is talking me for the first time in about nine months. :ohmy:

Thanks everyone for all your help so far! :hug:

He dumped me with no real reason. We tried to get back to a friendship a few times, but it never worked. Now that I've completely moved on, we can try again. I'm REALLY happy about that. I've told him about my guy friend and he gave me a few words of advice, and then he said that he never wanted to see me go through another hurt like he put me through ever again (I took the break-up baaaad) so it meant a lot that he said that.

Of course, my guy friend is SOOO mad that I'm talking to him. He seems really jealous of my ex. I don't know. It's weird.

You mean my guy friend? He's dating a GUY! Hahaha and yeah sometimes I think he's just doing it to make me jealous. He seems really jealous that I'm talking to my ex.

Back
Top Bottom