How to make friends and influence people? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > Zoo Confessionals
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:17 PM
I agree with Sicy. I "lurked" on a daily basis for probably 8 months before becomming a member here. I also spent time in this other chat site whose members were also members here. I remember when I finally gave in - I was home sick for two weeks with all sorts of fun viral infections and was literally bored to tears so I finally signed up and started posting. But by then I'd already had the chance to feel things out so I knew the personalities of a lot of members, what each forum was for, and how the rules worked.

Sometimes things can get heated, in any forum really, not just FYM, but you gotta remember it's just a message board and the nature of the place is that everyone has the same amount of space to vent their views. I've had instances where I've read posts here and thought "did you grow up on Mars?" but then I meet the person later on and they are a really neat person. I've also had times where I read posts and think the poster is like my longlost twin, but then I meet the person "in real life" and find out I was WAY off.

My pieces of advice: don't judge a book by it's cover, keep an open mind, and remember why you're here (re: this is a U2 fan forum, not a soapbox or free advertising space, etc).

Old 06-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I agree with Sicy. I "lurked" on a daily basis for probably 8 months before becomming a member here. I also spent time in this other chat site whose members were also members here. I remember when I finally gave in - I was home sick for two weeks with all sorts of fun viral infections and was literally bored to tears so I finally signed up and started posting. But by then I'd already had the chance to feel things out so I knew the personalities of a lot of members, what each forum was for, and how the rules worked.

Sometimes things can get heated, in any forum really, not just FYM, but you gotta remember it's just a message board and the nature of the place is that everyone has the same amount of space to vent their views. I've had instances where I've read posts here and thought "did you grow up on Mars?" but then I meet the person later on and they are a really neat person. I've also had times where I read posts and think the poster is like my longlost twin, but then I meet the person "in real life" and find out I was WAY off.

My pieces of advice: don't judge a book by it's cover, keep an open mind, and remember why you're here (re: this is a U2 fan forum, not a soapbox or free advertising space, etc).
I agree with many of the points you raise. Keyboard warriors is a phrase we use on a sport site for people who are bullish and intimidating when posting but when you meet them they are quite the opposite.

It may be simply that I dont fit in on this site because of my eagerness to question and debate all sorts of matters. Time will tell.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #18
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by U2SavesTheWorld
is your screen name about cologne?
no it was a school nickname.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by CKONE

It may be simply that I dont fit in on this site because of my eagerness to question and debate all sorts of matters. Time will tell.
Well, you'd fit in FYM as long as you can back up your debate/claims and don't say anything that's obviously intended to offend others.

As for the mod situation, if I were you, I'd just take some time to cool off. I don't think you're a terrible person, even for posting that link, but a rule is a rule right? The mods don't own this site, Elvis does, and until he changes the rules the mods are obligated (and much appreciated) to keep things running smoothly. With members that have been here for 6+ years and tens of thousands of members, they've got to be doing something right, don't you think?

I think some people get irked because we see this sort of thing every few months, it's not unique, and all it does is stirr shit - new member comes in, new member gets off on the wrong foot, mud starts slinging, etc, etc. The rules are the way they are because that's how it works in order to avoid chaos and maintain a place for healthy discussion, not because the mods are power-tripping dictators.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to criticize you or anything because you seem nice enough to me, just giving some pointers based on reading this site on a daily basis for the past several years.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:17 PM
Wait, you aren't supposed to say things that offend others in FYM?
and here I thought that was the whole point

on your post. Those were basically my thoughts, only way better thought out
Old 06-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
Wait, you aren't supposed to say things that offend others in FYM?
and here I thought that was the whole point

heh....yeah, that's relative, is it not?

Old 06-07-2006, 04:27 AM   #22
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Well, you'd fit in FYM as long as you can back up your debate/claims and don't say anything that's obviously intended to offend others.

As for the mod situation, if I were you, I'd just take some time to cool off. I don't think you're a terrible person, even for posting that link, but a rule is a rule right? The mods don't own this site, Elvis does, and until he changes the rules the mods are obligated (and much appreciated) to keep things running smoothly. With members that have been here for 6+ years and tens of thousands of members, they've got to be doing something right, don't you think?

I think some people get irked because we see this sort of thing every few months, it's not unique, and all it does is stirr shit - new member comes in, new member gets off on the wrong foot, mud starts slinging, etc, etc. The rules are the way they are because that's how it works in order to avoid chaos and maintain a place for healthy discussion, not because the mods are power-tripping dictators.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to criticize you or anything because you seem nice enough to me, just giving some pointers based on reading this site on a daily basis for the past several years.
Its refreshing for someone to be happy to put a point across and I appreciate it. The situation with the mods is now forgotten as far as i am concerned. I had some discussion with them and I now entirely understand the way the board is run by them. Whether I agree or not is irrelevent as you say the boards have been here for a long time and one oik from England UNINTENTIONALLY rocking the boat wont make a jot of difference.

I will often challenge people in a debate type way rather than a confrontational way as I enjoy discussion and debate and how boring would it be if we all agreed or didnt at least look at things from other perspectives?

Rules........lets face it they are there to be broken.....just kidding

I read them, i questioned whether I broke them? I doubt I will avoid conflict with the rules ever again however I will be making a concerted effort to ensure I don't.

Anyway, lets see how things pan out. At least if i haven't posted for more than 2 weeks you will know I have received a virtual kick out of the door.

Cheers all the best.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CKONE

At least if i haven't posted for more than 2 weeks you will know I have received a virtual kick out of the door.

No no, if you get the boot you will be showcased in an Inside Broadcast thread for all to see and snicker at. It's a delightful thread.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:47 AM   #24
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

No no, if you get the boot you will be showcased in an Inside Broadcast thread for all to see and snicker at. It's a delightful thread.

I hope to avoid such a public kicking!