How long can past events 'rule' the way you live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
Warning--I'm actually being serious for once and this might be a doozy.

I am not looking for pity here, just some insight on what I've been going through. I don't normally air my laundry in public like this, but it does help to get things out occassionally.

From the age of 7 to 18, I lived with a man who verbally abused me almost daily. It was my mother's boyfriend. During the day he could be a nice guy, we'd hang out and watch sports, or he would always be complimenting me on my writing. But at night when he was drunk (which was pretty much every night) he would rip me to pieces. Both of us being stubborn people who believe that we are always right and love to argue, we fought constantly. And at night he would make me feel like a piece of shit, and make me feel useless. In fact, in one of the last arguments I heard between my mom and him, he was screaming at my mom about me saying right out that I was worthless.

I've dealt with this in a number of ways. In fact when looking at my school photos, you can see the effects of this. I go from being a skinny kid in 2nd grade, to a fat one by 4th. I wasn't huge, but still I was made fun of by everyone, especially during junior high. Those were possibly the hardest years of my life, where at times I thought of ending my own life. But I didn't in the basis that I didn't want to hurt my family.

Finally I came to grips with my eating when I was 15 and lost the weight. But I still struggle with emotional eating on a daily basis. If I'm upset, depressed, angry, you name it, I still seek comfort in food.

I feel as a result of this I am always on the defensive with people. I keep my guard up, and this has been hard for me when dealing with romantic relationships. I tend to run or avoid someone when I know they like me, just to avoid being potentially hurt by them later.

I'm also a pessimist--I don't think I was always this way when I younger. I would like to think that I wasn't always so bitter. I have low self-esteem and tend not to think highly of myself, although I know I should. There's just this nagging voice in my head that never goes away, that tells me that I will never amount to much.

I did see a therapist about all this last spring, and although she helped me a bit, it seems that I will never escape from all this.
I feel that I've become a stronger person from all this, but still, the negatives of the situation obviously outweigh everything else.

As I said in the subject line, how long can one base their life around such happenings?
When does it just become a lame excuse for me to use, when I should just get some balls and
overcome all these feelings of self-doubt?

Again, sorry for this being lengthy and I appreciate an insight anyone can give me.

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 04-08-2002).]

ladylemon, i just finished reading your post, and i have to say i went thru the same thing too, but maybe slighty different circumstances. my father ignored me, made me feel unimportant because of my hearing loss. i end up wanting to please everyone for fear of not being accepted by my peers or family. when i was five or younger, most doctors thought that i was 'retarded.' i was also made fun of by kids in school in junior high, because my speech wasn't so good, i was a "nerd," or i just wasn't cool enough. it was the worst time of my life. and i too, have thought of suicide. i guess i didnt have the guts do to it then. i also turned to food for comfort. stressed, or whatever. it wasn't a good thing. the memories are a hard thing to get past. i dont know if i can offer any insight on this, but know that you are not alone. i think it takes alot of time for healing, getting past it...i know i'm still hurting from my childhood, but im taking it one day at a time. i think time is the best thing. im sorry if this hasn't helped, but i just wanted to say your not alone. i wish you the best.

im sorry i forgot to post my email in case you ever want to vent, or just to say hi
smile.gif

lilsparky69@hotmail.com

------------------
you've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice..

[This message has been edited by nellie (edited 04-08-2002).]

well ladylemon, i don't know. i've got the same thing going on with my own father (minus the drinking, he's just an asshole all the time). being verbally abused is, in my opinion, much worse than physical abuse. there's nothing worse than second guessing every little thing you do, wondering if maybe this time he will notice and be proud of you. but no, nothing is good enough, so you keep trying harder and harder, never reaching the goal you set out for. i gave up. it was not easy to do, but i did it and it made me feel a lot better. i rarely aknowledge him, and i like it that way, but that doesn't erase the scars left on me.

i too am defensive. i don't like getting too close to people anticipating that they're going to betray me in some way in the end. it's a terrible thought pattern, and i'm slowly coming out of it. but i still fear the betrayal i know all too well.

there's so much more to say.....if you want to, email me at lillyu2@hotmail.com we can carry each other a bit.

Well I don't know if I can offer and help or advice with this. My father was a physically abusive alcoholic when I was younger so I can relate to allot of what you are saying. All I can say is that you sound like you at least know what your problem is. That in and of itself is allot. I can't say that I know you will ever get over it. I have not full gotten over my feelings about what happened to me and it still effects my relationships and the way I deal with people. You sound like you want to get passed this though and that is good to. Just try not to let the way that ass hole treated you affect you. Don't let him have that power over you.

Thank you for your responses Nellie, Lilly, and ghetofabu...it's good to have people with similar experiences to lean on for support.
Thanks also for the email addys--I'll drop you both a line sometime.

smile.gif

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

Unfortunately, I'm still dealing with the ramifications of having been abused my own ex-stepfather, but the best advice I can give you is to keep moving forward in as many aspects of your life as possible. Don't quit anything; set goals for every part of your life and work to meet them. You can give your life your own meaning and sense of purpose, and that is what has kept me and countless others from ending it all. You have a purpose and you can define it.

If you're going to school, get that degree. If you're working, move toward that promotion. Whatever. Just KEEP MOVING.

::hugs::

You'll be grand.
smile.gif

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Honour the past for what it has taught you and just live your life one day at a time for now. Just keep moving, like paxe said. Take care.

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

Originally posted by paxetaurora:

If you're going to school, get that degree. If you're working, move toward that promotion. Whatever. Just KEEP MOVING.

::hugs::

You'll be grand.
smile.gif

Thank you. Sometimes I think I just need a good kick in the pants!

wink.gif

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
HEY!
wha about me!?

DB9

Don't be upset Diamond, you're my bud.
smile.gif
Had a good class today though btw, hehe.

And of course, I can never forget April, cos we talk almost everyday!

biggrin.gif

But seriously, it's been 4 years since I've had to live with this jerk, and some days are good, some days are hard. Like I still dream about him, and I hate that because I never want to see his face again, and I'd rather dream about something more pleasant! Like last week I dreamt that he and my mom were back together, and all I could think was--mom, how could you do this to me again?

My mom and I are very close now, and I know she feels horrible about what happened--she just seemed to be brainwashed by this psycho for 11 years! I posted this a while back in Dream Out Loud...it's not this greatest poem, but it's about this jerk and also the relationship I have with my mom:

Forgiveness

Why did you pick me?
I was still a child
That was a hard time for me
And you made it hell

Twelve years you spoiled for me
What did I do to deserve that?
Sure, its turned me into a stronger person
But one who yearns for continual acceptance

I was puzzled when you were nice to me
But that was far and in between
Instead you got drunk every night
And emotionally ripped me to bits

She wondered why I was so unhappy
Why don?t you smile more?
Well why should I?
There?s nothing to smile about

She wished I could just be happy for her
If I can?t be happy for me
How can I be happy for you?
Why can?t you realize what he?s doing?

I?ll never forget the day of senior prom
I told him to go fuck himself
She made me apologize
I did, but I didn?t mean it

Their argument woke me up
?She?s worthless. A piece of shit!?
I made a final confrontation
A night I?ll never forget

Those days are long gone now
But the words are still inside my head
I know I?m a good person; one with ?potential?
But people have to remind me of that

Now she realizes what she?s done
She cries and offers apologies
At first I couldn?t accept them
But now I know she means it.

I forgive you, mom.

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

Back