how do you know when you're in love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
for me it's usually when that person is the first person i think of when i wake up, and the last person i think of before i go to sleep.

that's as un-icky as i can be :wink:

When you cant wait to see the person. Trust them completely. Doing things to make them happy makes you happy. You care about what is going on with them, and they do the same about you.

I think a combo of those is a good indicator. But not necessarily all inclusive obviously.

when the initial butterflies/infatuation/hormonal intoxication phase calms down and you still geniuinely enjoy being around the person, you may just be on to something real.

that's as non-cynical as i can muster. :wink:

well ... i'm very emotional right now, but in such a non-specific way that i can't put word or logic to feeling.

it's freaking me out!

;)

simply, i've never felt this way about anyone, but it's hardly pure, simple emotions that i'm feeling. it's very complex, but they come from deep in my gut, places i didn't know existed.

Irvine511 said:
they come from deep in my gut, places i didn't know existed.

I felt that way once....it turned out to be an intestinal bug. :yuck:

Sorry. I just couldn't resist. :) I'll go away now..... :reject:

Love is God's way of tricking people into reproducing.

Yea I'm cynical... so what! :madspit:

But seriously, good for you, and everyone in love.
It's a rough rode ahead, because love is sometimes tough. But Hey it's worth it.

Irvine511 said:
well ... i'm very emotional right now, but in such a non-specific way that i can't put word or logic to feeling.

it's freaking me out!

;)

simply, i've never felt this way about anyone, but it's hardly pure, simple emotions that i'm feeling. it's very complex, but they come from deep in my gut, places i didn't know existed.

That's exactly how it was for me.

It's a very confused feeling, at first. You don't even know if it's love, you just know that you feel something. I told him I loved him and he said "Do you even know what that means?" At the time I didn't, really. I just knew I couldn't describe the way I felt because I'd never quite felt it before and I couldn't put a label on it, so I said it was love because that's what I thought it was. I was right, but I only know that because of where I am now (that was a year ago).

It's when you keep thinking of that person. It's when every little thing reminds you of him. It's when you want him to be happy no matter what that means for you. It's when making him smile makes your day.

That's what it meant for me, anyway. Still does, unfortunatley. It's simultaneously one of the most joyous and painful things I've ever felt.

I wish you the best of luck.

As for love vs. lust, that's easy. If you think about having sex with the person a lot but not much else, it's lust. Love is different. Love is "yeah, I really want to have sex with him, but if we were in a relationship and we didn't that'd be okay, because that's not the most important thing, just being with him is important." Love often involves lust, but it's a level far, far above that. Lust is, in the end, purely physical, though when you have a crush on someone it can fool you. But trust me, when you're really in love, you'll know it. Because in the end, lust is selfish. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's desire. When you're in love there is certainly a want (the strongest want you've ever felt...), but what you really want more than anything is for that person to be happy. Not you. Him.

That's my personal belief, anyway. Don't know if it's worth much of anything.

KhanadaRhodes said:
for me it's usually when that person is the first person i think of when i wake up, and the last person i think of before i go to sleep.

that's as un-icky as i can be :wink:

Does that mean I'm in love with Bono/U2? :hmm: Time to call my friend who is a psychologist :hmm:

And I'm very happy for you Irvine :hug:

BTW - just as I started reading this thread, the radio was playing.. Pride, In The Name of LOVE - is that a sign? :hmm:

off to bed :shifty:

I think it's what someone else said too. When you first start going out with someone of course you're really excited and all. When these things settle down you start to realize that you love being with this person and you completely trust them it's love. It becomes almost a lifestyle.

U2democrat said:
My question is how do you know love from lust?

they both got 4 letters.. but they´re entirely different words

(quote by Prince on Computer Blue - long version)

i'm trying to be zen about it, but i HATE not having total mastery of my thoughts and emotions and feeling vulnerable.

:angry:

:wink:

Irvine511 said:
i'm trying to be zen about it, but i HATE not having total mastery of my thoughts and emotions and feeling vulnerable.

:angry:

:wink:

it's difficult but it's part of the process i suppose. just go with the flow and try not to drive yourself too crazy in the meantime. :wink:

You know you're in love when thinking of yourself without the other person makes you sick to your stomach.

Sounds like someone had a really good holiday season. :wink:

Irvine :heart:

I think a lot of the things mentioned so far can also hold true for infatuation. Whether or not a more enduring love develops out of that, I think, is a matter of time, and shared experiences.

nbcrusader said:
Love goes beyond the emotion to the conscious choice to put their needs ahead of your own.

:up:

This is the closest I've seen yet to what I wanted to say. Love isn't a feeling (well, yes, of course it's a feeling, but human feelings are ephemeral and go in and out with the tide). It's a choice. It's ACTION.

Back
Top Bottom