How do you know if you are making the right choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ava Adore

The Fly
Well, without getting into too much detail... I am really confused. About a year and a half ago I made this decision to go away for a year once I completed my program at the University. I was really excited about the thought of living in Europe for a year, working in my profession. Now that school has ended I am starting to have some doubts.
I hate that I am doubting my decision but I think I am truly scared. I am 27 and have made a nice life for myself here so far, but I haven't really found a 'career' until now. I am excited about pursuing this career and really don't want to put my life off any longer. Now... I don't think per se that going to Europe for a year is necessarily putting my life on hold but it will be a step back. It's not a 'given' that I will find work in my profession while over there. So I think this is my dilemma. I don't want to go over there and end up in some crap job just to make ends meet, because that's all I could get, but at the same time, it could work out and I don't want to miss out on that chance. Up until these last few weeks I was so certain that this is what I wanted to do, but now I am not so sure.
It may also have something to do with the fact that I haven't been able to talk to my dad about it yet. I don't feel comfortable bringing up the subject because I know he'll think it's not a great idea and I'll get the 'when are you going to get on with your life, you can't play around forever' speech. A part of me disagrees with that, but a part of me feels he is right.

Maybe I am too old to just up and leave. I know no matter what I choose, I'll leave my town this fall because I need a change but maybe I should stay in my own country. Go back east, give Toronto a whirl... or pop over to Vancouver. Bright lights big city....

This is so hard.... I don't want to give up the dream, but I don't know if I can do this. Am I just scared? Surely it's more than just fear of the unknown. I am usually the kind of person that chooses to do something and follows through. It's so out of character for me to be having 'second thoughts'.

Any advice will be completely appreciated.

------------------
...there's so much doubt in every heart,
for all our faults we carry on

I would say follow your dream. Worst case scenario: things don't work out exactly as you had hoped, but you still learn new things, see new places, cultures, languages, etc. That is NEVER a loss. And then you come back and even if you're set back professionally, what's ONE year? Is it worth it to always wonder what might have been and to look back and have regrets? I don't think so. Go for it. Yeah, big changes like this are scary (I know, I've been through some recently and will have a few more soon), but they help you grow. You will find depths of strength and courage that you didn't know you had. The way I see it....ACT as though you were filled with confidence and courage, and before you know it, you will be. It take practice.
smile.gif
Best of luck!

-sula

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
...ACT as though you were filled with confidence and courage, and before you know it, you will be

You are so very true sula. I keep forgetting that if it doesn't work out, I can come home... so worst case scenario isn't even a year. I need to get it out in the open with my dad and then I am hoping all these fears and anxieties will go away. It's like I am trying to talk myself out of going, which is silly. It still doesn't make the move any easier though, lol. Thing is, if it does work out, this could be so good for me personally and professionally. It would in the end really help me when I come back home and compete for a job here. It's that whole 'afraid to fail thing' I guess...

------------------
...there's so much doubt in every heart,
for all our faults we carry on

"When will the public cease to insult the teacher's calling with empty flattery? When will men who would never for a moment encourage their own sons to enter the work of the public schools cease to tell us that education is the greatest and noblest of all human callings?"

-William C. Bagley, Craftmanship in Teaching

Back
Top Bottom