heroin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexHamilton

The Fly
It's been a theme in some of U2's best songs, and I'm intrigued by some of the things Bono has said. The way he describes the terrible sleep from the nod, or the feeling of being wrapped in wool -- these are things that only a user would know.

Anyway, it's not my goal to speculate about Bono. I'm just curious if anyone is willing to share their experience with the drug, whether personal or through friends/family.

Anyway, it's not my goal to speculate about Bono. I'm just curious if anyone is willing to share their experience with the drug, whether personal or through friends/family.

My parents were both addicted for 20+ years. My childhood and teenage years were pure hell and I hate it when someone like Bono writes about it as if he has experienced it first hand. True, he may have watched some friends suffer through addiction, but I lived it and it's not the same thing at all.

I'm more than willing to share my experience with the drug, but I prefer doing it privately so feel free to PM me.

Bono was very obviously on some kind of drugs during ZOO-TV. Shone through especially during the McPhisto performances. Could well be heroin.

I have had friends addicted to gear, some are still addicted to it and overtime I've seen them less because of it, and it gets to the point that you forget what they were like when they were clean... I'm amazed that any of them have been able to quit.

I've never done it and I don't ever want to do it, it's just a selfish, evil drug and I sympathise with anyone who has to go through the pain of it, user, family or otherwise.

Bono was very obviously on some kind of drugs during ZOO-TV. Shone through especially during the McPhisto performances. Could well be heroin.

This isn't EYKIW.

My parents were both addicted for 20+ years. My childhood and teenage years were pure hell and I hate it when someone like Bono writes about it as if he has experienced it first hand. True, he may have watched some friends suffer through addiction, but I lived it and it's not the same thing at all.

I'm more than willing to share my experience with the drug, but I prefer doing it privately so feel free to PM me.

I'm sorry to hear about your childhood, but a person (artist) should still be able to be emphatic and write about these things. Art would be nothing without empathy. If everyone would just write about what they experienced themselves, good art wouldn't exist. And I'm sure Bono knows what he's talking and writing about, from one point or the other, and I'm not going to speculate about this issue. We've had enough U2 and drugs topics recently.

That said, I also grew up with an addicted family member, I don't feel bad if someone like Bono writes about it, in fact I'm glad there are people who are sympathizing and not demonizing it or being moral about it.

I have had friends addicted to gear, some are still addicted to it and overtime I've seen them less because of it, and it gets to the point that you forget what they were like when they were clean... I'm amazed that any of them have been able to quit.

I've never done it and I don't ever want to do it, it's just a selfish, evil drug and I sympathise with anyone who has to go through the pain of it, user, family or otherwise.

This isn't EYKIW.

Sorry, mum.

-- these are things that only a user would know.
Really? I know these things, it must mean I'm a user...:doh:

Bono was very obviously on some kind of drugs during ZOO-TV.

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but this is a crap thread. You are not confessing anything. You state your opinion like it's fact and then say you aren't here to speculate... uh, that's what you just did. And then you ask others to share something as personal as this? :down:

You dont seem especially sure of the effects of heroine if you think it *could* be. As far as Im a aware, heroine is a fairly incapacitating drug, so he wouldnt so much be jumping around the stage as he would be slouched on the floor.

And for someone who isn't too up on heroine, I fail to see how you "obviously" know hes on some sort of drug.

Really? I know these things, it must mean I'm a user..

I'm sorry, but this is a crap thread. You are not confessing anything. You state your opinion like it's fact and then say you aren't here to speculate... uh, that's what you just did. And then you ask others to share something as personal as this? :down:

I don't understand the hostility over a simple thread on the internet, and agree with Sicy that it would've been easier just to move on. But since you did feel the need to respond, I'll address your concerns.

My initial point was that the way Bono describes heroin goes beyond something he learned from an internet search. There's an emotional facet to the lyrics that makes me feel like he experienced it himself. I said that I didn't want it to be about Bono, rather I wanted to hear from others who had been touchd by the drug to see if their response to the music was similar to mine.

I posted it in this forum because I didn't know exactly where to put it. This seemed like the most appropriate place. I didn't confess anything because I didn't want to write a long, detailed message if there wasn't going to be any response. I was trying to gauge interest in the topic. But if that's a requirement, then I confess that I'm a former user and I lost 9 friends to the drug before the age of 22.

Also, I don't think I did anything wrong in asking people to share their experiences, as they're free to say no, or simply move on to another thread.

My apologies for the "hostility", it's just I thought threads like this have normally been closed in the past.

I'm not a big fan of people speculating about other personal lives.

Sorry about your loss, but I'm glad you found a way to leave the drug before it consumed you.

My apologies for the "hostility", it's just I thought threads like this have normally been closed in the past.

I'm not a big fan of people speculating about other personal lives.

Sorry about your loss, but I'm glad you found a way to leave the drug before it consumed you.

No prob, I'm new here so I don't really know what's off limits. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

And MooMoo, I'll respond to your question when I have a bit more time.

Back
Top Bottom