Help me to feel better about myself: stupid shit you've done at work!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I have this part time job at a service station. Whenever the $50 and $100 notes start to pile up you've got to do a safe drop, ie, bundle money together and drop it in the safe.

It's a very easy job, so easy that you can slip into absent-mindedness and complacency.

Last night I safedropped $750... but instead of putting it in the safe, I put it in the bin. I seriously did not even notice doing it.

I got a phone call this morning from the bosses saying there was $750 missing, so I raced down there and they could not find the money.

The assistant kid went looking through the bins and walked in saying, "is this what you're looking for?", $750 in hand.

The bosses laughed it off, I still have a job, the embarrassment is punishment enough. How fucking dumb is that?

So please feel more than welcome to tell of a time when you did something much stupider than this.

the bin is near the safe though, and i had a feeling that i had put in the bin. i had a quick look in the dumpster and the kid had a longer look and found it.

Forgetting to do a "bcc" on something that really needed to be a "bcc." I only did that once. Never made that mistake again.

:giggle: Oh well at least they still found it! This shit can happen, you know. It's not the end of the world. :hug:

I once threw a pack of deep frozen spinach to a coworker who asked for one. He missed. It hit his head. He was out. Was a load of fun explaining to my boss I nearly murdered one of his employees with spinach. :wink: Popeye ain't got nothin' on me!

^ :lmao: GG :love:

cobl . . . I once paid an employee $10, 347.38 instead of $1,347.38 :yikes: . . . after I found my stomach and my heart started beating again I called said employee and yes, they did give the money back . . . even I can be super charming when I want :flirt: . . . THEN I told the boss ~ she was fine but she checked my figures pretty closely for a while after that :uhoh: :giggle:

I've fed-ex'd time sensitive paperwork to the wrong company.. on more than one occasion. :crack:

Back in the days when smoking was still allowed in offices, I once discarded the contents of an ashtray into a waste paper basket not noticing that the cig I just smoked was not fully extinguished. I rang one of the secretaries upstairs in a mad panic and she came down and helped me extinguish the minor conflagration.

While working for a local news station, I had to find video of the king of Saudi Arabia, named Abdullah, who just became king. Now, there are two King Abdullahs - one in Saudi Arabia, the other in Jordan. You can pretty much guess where I screwed up during a live TV broadcast.

My parents were watching that broadcast, and when I got home they asked who made that mistake. I was like, "oh, no one!"

I didn't do this mess up, but its too funny not to mention: while doing a report on the Taj Mahal, a co-worker chose video of the one in Atlantic City - instead of the one in India! And that also aired on live TV!

I was supposed to make a marble cake with the white part having a lot eggs in it and somehow ended up with a chocolate scrambled egg cake.

At another job, a customer had a $10 purchase and paid with a $100 bill; I gave him too much change and he ended up getting it for free. I think he knew it, too, because he got out of there as fast as he could.

At my current job, we kept running short on change, so I took a $50 bill and walked to the bank to stock up on rolls of coins. I didn't think that was stupid, but it made the boss really mad, so it must have been. But with her, one really can't tell. :shrug:

Fuck, you're lucky Danny! It's easy to lose a job for losing a fraction of that amount.

Closing the cash register while my finger was still in it might be the dumbest thing I've done at work, as far as slapstick clumsiness goes. Didn't help that I had a customer there with me and had to give money back while hiding my bleeding hand behind my back in a merciless agony. I did get a very professional looking bandaid, though.
emot-c00l.gif

When I was working as a housekeeper for serviced apartments, I left my keys inside the apartment I've just cleaned, and found myself locked out in the inner courtyard. Since everyone else has left, I decided to climb through the window, which was opened just wide enough, and get the keys back. After I almost scraped the skin off my thighs squeezing through, I landed on the kitchen floor... and realised that I climbed through the wrong window into the wrong apartment. Thankfully no one was home!

I accidentally backed into a co-worker's car in the parking lot. :doh: He was actually real understanding and cool about it. I guess it helps that there wasn't a whole lot of damage.

I'm a student. But I think this qualifies.

I have Indian citizenship and I've decided to go to India and appear in the engineering entrance tests. I choose to start the application process with the most prolific one (IIT-JEE).

So I checked it's site three weeks ago and it said that the last date of submission was 20th dec. Hence I spent some time looking around for more details of the institutes and courses. Then on 14th I decided that it's time to apply.

1st mistake- The last date of application was actually 15th not 20th. We were supposed to apply online before 5pm on 15th the and hardcopy must reach before 5pm on 20th.

2nd mistake- Payment of the fee could only be made from a few selected banks through online banking. I was sure i had an account from which I could pay but I forgot the fact that I didn't apply for transaction rights on online banking.

3rd mistake- I fixed my account on 15th and was pretty sure that i would be able to make the payment before 5pm. I started at 3pm and then realized that they don't accept real time settlements. Only option was an electronic fund transfer. It takes three hours for transferring funds to a central Indian bank and the time taken to credit the beneficiary depends on the time taken by the beneficiary bank to process the payment (maybe weeks). Nonetheless I made the payment.

4th mistake- i waited till 18th for confirmation of payment but didn't get it. So i had to send the printout just with the UTR no. without any real proof of payment.

I started tracking the post. It landed in India on the 20th, then disappeared. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom