good love doesnt last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all_i_want

Refugee
all good love has to end. there comes a time when you know its over, and for the sake of all youve lived together, its time to say goodbye. beating a dead horse doesnt help.

i am talking about passionate, intense love and after a certain period, that dies out, all thats left is a shadow of what those two people used to have.

and then they face the cold hard truth. they dont have the love they once had for each other. they shouldve left the ship when they could. now all thats left is bitterness.

so if you wont leave me baby, ill find someone who will.

everything* comes to an end

however relationships between two healthy, mature peolpe
with realistic expectations can endure

My parents were married for 42 years and were very much in love until the day my father died. :(

I have given up on love myself though. :madspit: I honestly don't think I'm ever going to get over my ex. :sigh:

Last edited:
I have only truly loved one other person. It was the most passionate love affair I have ever had. It only lasted a summer but I still think about him and I still love him.
So I guess what I am saying is even though the relationship ends, if it is true love, it is everlasting.:heart:

what im saying is, it is everlasting only if it ends and doesnt become a shade of what it used to be

all_i_want said:
i am talking about passionate, intense love and after a certain period, that dies out, all thats left is a shadow of what those two people used to have.

I feel you.

Unfortunately I think this is often the case in most relationships. :slant:

deep said:
everything* comes to an end

however relationships between two healthy, mature peolpe
with realistic expectations can endure

Our parents were married 56 years "and still going" until cancer took mom's life...

Everything Deep wrote is true. :up:

I promise you that BAW and I will last until then........:heart:

My parents have been married for almost 27 yrs and my godparents(aunt and uncle) have been married over 30 yrs.

I am hope to have that sort of longetivity with someone.

It really is very hard to find true love. That's why I've stopped looking and couldn't be bothered with it. It gets to the point where you are just getting your heart broken constantly.... :sigh:

all_i_want said:

Are you talking about "love" or "lust"? I could swear that you're talking about the latter. No relationship will ever remain exactly the same as it started, but if you both "change" together, it should last.

A relationship should very much be more than just intense physical attraction. If you've got nothing in common outside of lust for each other, then it is no wonder the relationship will flounder.

Anyway, it's something to think about.

Melon

Last edited:
....... if to people really want the same thing, then it can be. You just have to be honest, and willing to work for it.

It all comes down on how much you really desire something, or really, how capable you are, competent, at being in love. Both you and your partner.

not "compatible", but actually capable, competence. Somepeople can't deal with long term commitments, and therefore can't find "lasting love"..

But I really do belive that you can be with someone for ever, if you choose so. And though I've never expereicned this personally, I've heard it said that the best, lasting love changes over time and adapts, like an actual living thing. It doesn't remain stationary, it grows.

I think love is like a child, or a pet, or a being itself, because it takes commitment, nurturing, dedication, willpower, care, and even elbowgrease.

It's the most difficult, and most rewarding thing, in some peoples minds.

But it just doens't "happen".
Nothing ever just "happens"...

I think you are talking about to people who weren't really made for each other. Once the novelty of the love wears off, all the bad things about each other begin to float up.

You just have to be honest and if you're not made for each other just move on.

...gotta let it burn.

it's awfully easy to be cynical about love
I do think with the right person it is possible to love for a lifetime
but we are too easily convinced that someone is right
well, we want to believe it anyway

genuine love is built on trust and really, lust. trust comes with honesty, openness and courage. two people do not have an appreciation of what they have, they are too busy living it. love is lived as that beautiful thing is gonna last forever. but if beauty and love was forever, what kind of a value would it have? real love, it ends, and thats what makes it so valuable and so beautiful.
one day you wake up and you realize its over.. its all out of your hands. you pick up the pieces and move on. you can only appreciate something that has been long gone. who knows how you can find lust? its a gift, just happens.

on the other hand, there is 'conventional love'. they are built on need, appreciation and dependency. they are pragmatic. conventional lovers look as if they were made for each other. if you saw them you'd think, well someone's found their princess, they look amazing together. but what lies beneath is fear of abandonment, dependency, need to be with SOMEONE, anyone... you try and conform with the social norms, getting married, having kids, having the 'beautiful, intimate' family life, having a good career... and you try to talk yourself into it.. you try to reaffirm your beliefs, you keep telling yourself 'we're so good together, he/she is my true love, i am completely in love, i love him/her' but underneath, you KNOW its all a lie. something you created to beautify a deal that is only and only based on mutual NEED. need for company, need for sex, need for financial security, need for social status, need to satisfy your family, need to pass yourself as a 'happy' person.

if youre not aware of all that, well, ignorance is bliss. but there's always this feeling inside, whispering to you, mocking you.. 'you and all you have is a joke'

:|

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom