Fuck... not to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElectricalStorm

War Child
Fuck... I just got home and I really need to get this off my mind...

I was on my bike riding home (alone) from a party somewhere. Suddenly there was this man on a bike after me and he pushed me and I fell. At first I thought he was just a drunkard that thought it we be fun to push strangers on the ground, but then I saw him get off his bike and come to me.
I got up and tried to run, but he got to me and pushed me so I fell again and he started kicking me, hard. Somehow, I got up and I ran and screamed, and I was certain he would rape and murder me (he was even wearing gloves and had his face hidden under the hood of his jacket, and it's a summer night). I have never been more afraid in my life.
I don't know why, but I suddenly saw him turning around and getting his bike and he just went away. I took my bike and got home as fast as I could.

I'm still in shock and shaking. I'm of course glad nothing real happened, but it really, really could have been else.

Things like rape and murder are not things that happen in my life, I always thought. I don't know how I'll ever be able to go home alone from a party again.

Fuck, in what world are we living?

I'm so sorry that happened to you, it really is terrible that someone can't feel safe just riding a bike home on a nice evening. I'm so glad nothing "real" (as you put it) happened, you were quite blessed in that regard.

Thank you, it really means a lot.

I'm so sorry that happened to you, it really is terrible that someone can't feel safe just riding a bike home on a nice evening. I'm so glad nothing "real" (as you put it) happened, you were quite blessed in that regard.

I rode that road so many times, it's so familiar and I never thought something would happen to me.
When he came after me, I really thought I was going to die.

Rape and murder were always things you heard about on the news. It suddenly became so much more real...

That is just awful!! :yikes: I do hope you reported it to the police!

Not yet... I just wake up after getting a few hours of (hard) sleep, last night I was too much of a mess anyway.

The thing is, I didn't see anything of his face, so there really is nothing they can do. But I think I'll report it, so they at least know that there is some crazy person out there.
I now see that I got a few bruises from where he kicked me, but I know I'm sort of lucky it's just bruises and nothing more.
I'm really afraid that next time he sees some girl alone, he will rape her. The fact that he was wearing gloves and a hooded jacket in the summer is really some indication he went out just to hurt someone, right?

:yikes: Holy shit! Glad you got out safe! Even though you didn't see his face you can still report it so the cops will know that it's happening.

Yeah, my mum phoned the police today to explain the situation and they also told her I should come monday morning to report it, so I'll do that.

Thank you, all of you. It really calmed me down yesterday to have a place I could type it down. I was still in tears, complete shock actually when I started writing and when I ended, I was really calm. Still in shock, but sort of a controllable shock. Hard to explain, actually.

Yeah, my mum phoned the police today to explain the situation and they also told her I should come monday morning to report it, so I'll do that.

Thank you, all of you. It really calmed me down yesterday to have a place I could type it down. I was still in tears, complete shock actually when I started writing and when I ended, I was really calm. Still in shock, but sort of a controllable shock. Hard to explain, actually.

Something similar happend to me a couple of years ago. I was attacked, but I fought him off. Take care of yourself and talk to someone about it. I was exactly the same way after. Mostly in shock, quite teary, and very jumpy for the next few weeks. I slowly calmed down, but to this day, I can have flashbacks in the right circumstances. Just because he didn't end up carrying out whatever he was going to do, doesn't make it much less traumatic.

Be safe. :hug:

It really is upsetting how often this happens.:sad: Take care of yourself ES.:hug:

Hugs to you too Kaf.:hug:

That is so scary! I'm glad that it wasn't any worse. All of us girls have to be prepared to defend ourselves. It's unfortunate that the world has to be that way.

:hug:

You should get some pepper spray or something...

I'm quite sure that's illegal in Belgium. Not that's that much use anyway when you get kicked on the groud, or when his eyes and face are completely hidden.

Something similar happend to me a couple of years ago. I was attacked, but I fought him off. Take care of yourself and talk to someone about it. I was exactly the same way after. Mostly in shock, quite teary, and very jumpy for the next few weeks. I slowly calmed down, but to this day, I can have flashbacks in the right circumstances. Just because he didn't end up carrying out whatever he was going to do, doesn't make it much less traumatic.

Be safe. :hug:

Hugs to you too :hug:

I know what you mean. Still a bit shaky and jumpy.
Normally I always fall asleep very easily, but I've been awake for hours last night, with eyes open since every time I closed my eyes, I saw him coming at me again. I managed to get asleep while looking at the stream from last nights show, that way my thoughts could concentrate on something else when closing my eyes. It really helps.
It's not really what he did, the kicking, it's more that he did it. I keep remembering the moment I realized he wasn't a drunkard, but he really wanted to hurt me. And then the moment he came after me again, realizing I was helpless.
I'm going to a friend tonight, maybe it'll be easier to sleep when I'm not alone in my room.

Oh God, what an appalling story! You were very, very lucky it ended up that way. I can't even think of what could have happened :panic: The police must do something to catch him - I understand it'll be difficult since you didn't see his face - or at least send patrols to that area to make it safer.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that event won't affect your life.
Take care of yourself :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

PS: Keep us updated if he is cought.

Glad you're Ok. Unfortunately, in the future, you should probably bike with a buddy. Why chance it? Hopefully, it will never happen again.

solution:

2850129ULP.jpg

^ that bothers me so much I hardly know where to begin; if you're being flippant it shows pretty poor taste, and if you are serious . . . wow.

ElectricalStorm, I hope you're working your way through what was a horrible horrible situation . . . take care :hug:

Serious or not, I'd tend to agree with that solution. I'd kill anyone who attacked me again.. in a heartbeat. There are some sick, disturbed individuals who will think nothing of doing all kinds of unspeakable things to another human being to satisfy their own twisted urges. If it comes down to them or me, they're going down.

Gut reaction. Sorry if it offends.

From you it doesn't offend me, since you've been through this and it's emotional. Emotions simply aren't rational.
From him? Yeah, it does offend me because he's a known pro guns advocate. :| He's done many posts like this. I think it's fucking sick you are so convinced you need a gun in life to protect you. That people can just think of killing someone so easy just like that.

Okay, I've not had the awful experience of being attacked so perhaps I come off as being a little naive, but that post really shocked me . . . it still makes me uncomfortable, even though I do understand the desire to protect at all costs . . . maybe what makes me uncomfortable is knowing that, despite my pacifist leanings, if someone tried to attack me or my kids and there was a gun around I would use it? it makes me sad too that it would even be necessary.

and Kaffy, no offense taken at all :)

good thoughts for a healthy recovery, to all :hug:

I understand the discomfort with guns. I'm very uncomfortable with them. Didn't grow up around them or in a culture that uses them.

For me, it's not about guns per se. It's about protecting myself or the people I love by any means necessary. Guns, baseball bat, bare hands. As I said, if it came down to it, no one would have a hope in hell of making me a victim. It's awful to think of the idea that it would even be necessary, but it's reality. I've now experienced that reality first hand, unfortunately. We can discuss and debate such a scenario, but when you're in it, there is no rational or reasoning. You spend your whole life wondering what you might be thinking in a moment like that, but when you're there, you realize there is no thinking. Only reacting. Pure survival instinct, which many will never experience.

You hear horror stories in the news. This stuff is real. I had the police ask me if I had any identifying marks, scars, tattoos on my body. At first I didn't understand. Now I realize they wanted to know in case anything happened again and there was a body needing to be identified. Nothing wakes you up to the reality of what some human animals are capable of as a moment like that. Absolutely chilling.

I don't mean to be morbid and spread paranoia, but as a friend who'd been through something similar pointed out to me, there's a level of paranoia that will keep you alive. Hold onto it and be safe.

Sorry, off on a rant/ramble.

I know that, and I probably will do the same. I pity the idiot trying to go after me though, since I wouldn't need a gun or whatever weapon. Ofcourse it's about survival and instinct and everything, but there's a difference in knocking out your assaulter to make sure you're safe, and to draw a gun and shoot his head off. While assaulters are scum and should get their punishment, I think murder goes too far. WAY too far.

I'm not sure it's all paranoia btw. I'm far more aware of my surroundings than most people, I notice that every day. Whenever I tell them about something detailed catching my eyes it's always "oh, hadn't even noticed that". Especially when people these days are so focussed on their phone rather than their surroundings. It's so easy for an assaulter to get close without people noticing. The thought is pretty disturbing. I guess because I'm trained I'm more alert. Being easily distracted and having excellent hearing helps too.

Ofcourse it's about survival and instinct and everything, but there's a difference in knocking out your assaulter to make sure you're safe, and to draw a gun and shoot his head off. While assaulters are scum and should get their punishment, I think murder goes too far. WAY too far.

I'm going to have to disagree. If they'll do it to me, they'll do it to someone else. Good riddance, imho.

I wouldn't leave him unharmed, no. But dead? That goes too far in my books. If he's in the hospital at least he can get taken into custody and get his punishment.

Back
Top Bottom