friends in car accident..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtooellen

New Yorker
those that are of the praying kind, please pass on your prayers to my friends.

two of my friends were involved in a car crash very recently. my friend was driving with his license banned and my other friend was in the passenger seat without a seatbelt on. their friend was sleeping (laying down) in the backseat. the car he was driving was a car that wasn't insured, and was bought 'under-the-table'.

he fell asleep at the wheel after pulling an allnighter with his friends and the car went off the road and rolled over into a ditch.

my friend in the passenger seat had over a hundred stitches while my friend driving had to have surgery on his head for fracturing and suffered internal bleeding. as for their friend.. he is in critical condition. they are all hospitalized at the moment and things aren't going well for them..

as careless as they were, I pray that they will be better.

--

my 'zoo confessional' part about this accident is that, I've been hearing many things from my friends that their parents have been trying to blame each other for the accident.
whoever is blamed, will be paying the medical bills, will be taking responsibility of the entire accident itself, etc.

the driver's parents have been blaming the accident on the passengers parents, who is blaming my other friend who sold the car to my friends under the table and the one who was sleeping in the backseat.

I think this situation showed me well that sometimes parents are so caught up in the possession of money and materialistic losses that they forget that their children are the victims in the situation. they are even willing to destroy friendships to avoid paying..

:sigh:
please, pray for them or even pass on positive thoughts to them if you can...

youtooellen said:

I think this situation showed me well that sometimes parents are so caught up in the possession of money and materialistic losses that they forget that their children are the victims in the situation. they are even willing to destroy friendships to avoid paying..

Sorry to hear of this :(

I think as for the negligence, etc the parents are thinking of their own children. They're each worried they won't be able to cover the medical expenses and/or any damages owed b/c of their child's negligence. These situations suck big time and there really isn't an easy, everyone-pull-together-for-everyone answer.

It's been a while since I studied this type of law, but to over-simplify it, you can't claim someone else owes you damages for negligence if you were also negligent or breaking a law. So anyone suffering injuries that could have been prevented by the use of a seatbelt shouldn't have a strong case against the driver.

Most of this is all about money. Not in the sense that the parents want to get rich off of this (punitive damages awarded) - that won't happen here - but the medical bills will a be lot and in the end it really becomes one insurance company against another. It's hard to not take it personally though.

:hug:

Re: Re: friends in car accident..

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
It's been a while since I studied this type of law, but to over-simplify it, you can't claim someone else owes you damages for negligence if you were also negligent or breaking a law. So anyone suffering injuries that could have been prevented by the use of a seatbelt shouldn't have a strong case against the driver.

that's what I thought too :|
unfortunately the complication in the whole situation was that my friend was driving with a banned license while on probation, the passenger wasn't wearing a seatbelt because the seatbelt was already broken in the car, which is why the passengers family is blaming my other friend for the car

so all the families and parents are going into this whole craze on who did what and who didnt do what.

my friend who was driving wants to take full blame because he knows what he did wrong and he's willing to accept all the consequences, but his parents refuse to let him speak up and are saying that the passenger was the driver instead..
(the car flipped over in the accident, they were found unconscious in the accident and thrown out of their seats.... ) :slant:

Depends on what state you're in....many states will let you claim even if you've been negligent too; they just put a % contribution on it and reduce the award by that much.

Mostly though......:hug:

Very sad, not only the injuries but the parents.. its such a shame.

Prayers to you and your friends :hug:

:hug: first of all, I hope they're all alright. thinking of you...

and unfortunately what you said about their parents doesn't surprise me. This August we had a case at my school where a girl accidentally ran over her best friend and killed him. The guy had jokingly jumped onto her car (which wasn't smart obviously), but the thing was, the girl freaked out and put the car into gear after he jumped on the car (not smart either) and then ran him over. And now the girl is not only being sued by his family but charged with manslaughter. It's sort of like...it was her best friend, why make the whole thing even more painful? :huh:

anyway enough of my morbid story, I really hope all your friends are okay. :hug:

at this point, it doesn't really matter the circumstances. right now, it's important to pray for them. worry about the other stuff later. a very dear friend of mine died in a car accident a month ago- november 2nd-the day before his 37th birthday. i really miss him. i hope your friends pull through. having them here is what matters.

Back
Top Bottom