For anyone who's quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
My boyfriend wants to quit smoking. I'm starting to do some research into the nicotine patch to maybe help him stop. Has anyone used them to quit or know of someone who has done so successfully? All advice, suggestions and direction to more information for quitting very, very much appreciated! If you know of a better way than the patch that we can get OTC, that would be great too!

We've had this subject kicked around in the past and you'll get a lot of positive responses; one piece of advice is that he really WANTS to quit, WILL POWER....that, along with any other device, will help him out...

me, 17+ years cold turkey, except for the one hit I took off DMP's last night just to get a rile out of BAW....I know, me bad...:shame: on Mr. B.

yes, Caron used the patch and the gum. she has been smoke free for two years now. :up:

also had a friend that went cold turkey using those plastic coffee stirrers. everytime she wanted a cigarette, she would chew on one of those. she has been smoke free for over 20 years!

Gabriel Garcia Márquez was an avid smoker until one day he had a conversation with a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist said that smoking was the most difficult addiction to quit.

Márquez was interested in the reason why it was so difficult to kick it and so he asked the psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist's response was: "For you to stop smoking in your mind would be like killing a loved one."

After that realization he quit smoking.

My aunt did hypnosis and it worked for her :ohmy: I'm still shocked she's been a non smoker for like 10 years now, and she lives with a smoker so she's around it and still manages.

There's a place in town here that does laser accupuncture: $100, one time, one session, and they basically say 'if it doesn't work, we'll give you your money back and give you a second treatment for free'. I know 3 or 4 people who have gone, and quit successfully without any temptation to relapse. Mind you, $100 is a lot of money... but, a mere trifle in comparison to cigarette expenditures in your monthly budget, so... *shrug*

Not a smoker myself, though. It seems to me that its just as much about breaking the old habits (cigarette in the morning, cigarette with coffee after breakfast, cigarette on break, etc) as it is breaking the physical addiction. But again, I can't say for sure. Just that this particular therapy seems to be effective given my 2nd hand experience.

definitely routine based, i reckon. i quit cold turkey on june 17 last year and havent had one since. i didnt get cravings but every time i thought i'd like one, i had to decide 'no' each time for a while. i didn't use patches but cold turkey is becoming strangely popular and successful.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
There's a place in town here that does laser accupuncture: $100, one time, one session, and they basically say 'if it doesn't work, we'll give you your money back and give you a second treatment for free'.

even if it did work couldnt ya tell them it didnt and get your money back and an extra laser treatment to boot?

My sister has just recently quit after smoking for about 15 years. She didn't use the nicotine patches as she has an allergic reaction to them but she used the artifical cigarette things (not sure what the brand name is!). She has so far managed 6 weeks without a cigarette.

Mr. BAW said:
We've had this subject kicked around in the past and you'll get a lot of positive responses; one piece of advice is that he really WANTS to quit, WILL POWER....that, along with any other device, will help him out...

me, 17+ years cold turkey, except for the one hit I took off DMP's last night just to get a rile out of BAW....I know, me bad...:shame: on Mr. B.

I agree. You can use all the "gimmicks" in the free world, but unless you really have the desire, it won't happen.

My mom is 14 years "clean", cold turkey as well, Rick. :up: I know that bought us a hell of a lot more years together, and the woman hasn't had one craving in all that time!

the fact that i hardly go out and drink anymore is what helped me quit smoking. to counter the weight gain, i just replaced the cigarette with excercise.

remember, it's mostly mental.

I agree w/ mikal, help him find something else to fill the void of smoking, distract him, take his mind off it...however you want to put it. But I don't smoke so I don't really know, it just seems to make the most sense, plus he can find something else that's good for him and focus on that instead.

I do drink WAY too much soda and when I think about why I do it, it's mainly when I'm bored and am just doing homework or watching TV. It's just something to keep me busy. Now I keep a water bottle where I watch TV and do homework so I drink that instead without even thinking about it.

It sounds dumb, but the best advice I got on quitting smoking is "Just don't smoke." When you want to go, don't. I quit for 5 months a few years ago, and that was the mantra I used. It worked for awhile. THen I got drunk and said Screw You Mantra. GFY. Now I want to quit again. :(

Back
Top Bottom