First time ever I could not eat while watching a movie // the ultimate motivation ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
No, I''m one of the few people who has never seen Kill Bill, until tonight.

We were eating, and it was revolting.
I've seen a lot of things, and few things bother me anymore... but that was sickening. Not the obvious, though.

The blood gushing out was kind of pathetic, like... obviously over the top, and slightly comical. QT is a strange guy like that, apparently... But it wasn't even the gore.

It was mostly how that woman was treated... at her wedding.
I won't say much more about it, because I don't need to.
But also, the story of that Japanese girl, Lucy Lui played her.
I guess I've mentioned it before, but I really do have a problem with women being treated that way. I don't know, I guess it's a personality trait or something....

Interestingly enough, I was watching it inside a martial arts school, and it made me think about things... I've always had martial arts in my life, because my dad teaches it. But until most recently, I never got into it that much. But now I realize what an oppertunity I have, and shouldn't let it go to waste.

As sappy as this may sound...
I've never really worried about getting into a fight myself. I've never been afraid or compelled to become a martial artist or anything at all. But a lot of other things have happened lately in my life. I've seen a lot of things in these past few months. Secular to that, though, is my own desire to learn my fathers skills, just because he's my dad and it is a good father-son thing.
However.... the one additional factor that I believe has really made me think about taking studying more seriously was...

What if something happened to someone I cared about?
What would I be able to do?
Would I be able to defend them?

Within the last few weeks, unfortunately, there have been situations around me that could have potentially gotten physical. A lot of naivetes (word?) have been broken, mostly for someone else, the person involved, but for me, too. I realize I've lived a very sheltered life so far, and that the world is not always a safe place.

Perhaps the same reason that I was reserved from studying seriously martial arts will be the same reason that I take it up more strongly.

I don't like fighting.

But.... there is one thing that I dislike even more, and on different levels, I know it what it is like. I hate not being able to do something when someone I care about is in a bad situation. However, I am fortunate enough to not have had situations where those have been physical in nature. Unfortunately, though... I don't know how much longer I can be lucky.

I never felt like I had a reason to take up martial arts. Even though my dad is a teacher. Even though they say "oh, once you get in a fight, you'll want to learn". Even though I've been in a few scuffels, and even though I've been able to stop people dead in their tracks with my words, being a good diplomat... I think I will be not so fortunate in the future.

So now, at least, I have my reasons. NOt just for self defense. But for defending those people I cannot bear to see in harms way.

:|

the question is did you watch the edited version we got here in the states or did you see the full-on version other countries got? to keep the film rating he got, he had to make some fight scenes black and white and play with the lighting because there was too much blood. tmyk :wink:

I've had the misfortune of coming across some, uh...not-so-lovely images right as I was eating. Some have even made me gag.

I worry sometimes about the sanity of some of the directors of movies/shows in which the aforementioned disturbing images appear :uhoh:...

Haven't seen "Kill Bill", though. And For Honor, I don't think there's any harm in wanting to take a self-defense class or something along that line. Not only for your safety, but for the safety of your loved ones.

Course, even if you don't take one, should a situation arise where someone may need help, I'd imagine your instincts would let you know whether or not getting physical would be an appropriate move to make, and as for worrying about whether or not you'd do an adequate job protecting them, hey, I've heard stories of people suddenly gaining a whole lot of strength and abilities to do things they normally couldn't do in a situation where they needed to save someone's life-it's the whole adrenaline thing, I think is what I've heard.

I'm totally with you in the sense that I don't like fighting, either-I wish we lived in a world where we didn't have to worry about that sort of thing. But as of right now, sadly, we don't, and if, say, someone broke into my home and was trying to hurt me or someone I loved, you'd better believe I'd do everything in my power to protect myself/said loved one.

Angela

Great film. I never once thought it was gross.

Of course, I took a forensic science class in undergrad, which makes even the scenes on "CSI" seem tame.

Melon

..... Well that's great. But it isn't so much about kill bill, or the gore, yeah?

I thought it was a fine movie, considering what kind of movie it was.

It was sort of just a ..... "the straw that broke tha camel's" back. I regard to a lot of things that have been going through my mind.

I can see myself, if I become sort of messed up later in life, talking to a psychologest as one of these people who takes responsibility for too many things. It is unhealthy to be that way. And it is a false nobility as well. It's just odd because I notice so much...

anyway...

I don't know. I am not so sure how I will deal with people in my life. I seem to be having less and less tolerance for certain kinds of actions.... certain modes of operating... certain behavior types.

I just hope that my... decreasing tolerance isn't something that changes me into a bitter, reclusive person. But perhaps since I have seen it coming, I can work against it...

hmm.......

melon said:
Great film. I never once thought it was gross.
:love:

i must admit though, in volume two (ATTN: spoilers - highlight to read) when the bride steps on elle's eye, i though "eww!" but still, i wasn't horrified or repulsed by anything in either of the two volumes.

I cant handle his films at all. The only film I have ever walked out in disgust is Pulp Fiction.

I saw another one, lots of short stories and they cut some guys finger off. :puke:

Im not watching anymore of his movies.

As for not eating at the movies, I never eat at the movies. If I eat then I need a drink of water, and then I need the bathroom. Its the domino effect. :wink:

It's hard to take it seriously sometimes, but I think that is the point.

I mean..... I don't know, do some people find blood gushing like a firehose funny or something? I chuckled at first, like when ORen or whoever decapitated that guy.... but....

I don't know, anything done to that much of an extreme sort of looses value

(wow, I rememebered something from economics -

The Law Of Diminishing Returns)

Like, after a certain, peak number of seconds of blood gushing, it looses it's effect, and starts to deteriorate.

Just like eating too many cookies.
After youu splurge too much......

The cookies start to not taste so good no more .......

beli said:

As for not eating at the movies, I never eat at the movies. If I eat then I need a drink of water, and then I need the bathroom. Its the domino effect. :wink:

I subscribe to this philosophy too, and get offended with someone if they drink and have to pee half way thru.
I punish them by not letting them know what happened while they were out. :D

I can't stand QT but I do LOVE the Kill Bill movies.
And Khanada (highlight to read)
that was my favorite part, just seeing it in a theater and you just K N O W she's gonna do something gross and everyone started squirming and yelling "no! no! don't...she's not......ARRRRGGG!!! OH NO SHE DIDN'T!" it was so funny

i've never seen any of the kill bill movies.

and pulp fiction is one of my favorite movies. sorry you didnt like it beli.

Sparkysgrrrl said:
I can't stand QT but I do LOVE the Kill Bill movies.
And Khanada (highlight to read)
same here.

oh, and (highlight to read) oh yeah it was definitely hilarious, i loved that scene. especially when you can hear elle screaming "where are you come back here you bitch!!" omigor i just cracked up.

Never seen Kill Bill, but my bro was watching Pulp Fiction while I was doing laundry at my parent's house yesterday and last night I dreamt I was gang raped, no joke, it was terrible, I'm afraid to close my eyes tonight....

Wow....

That's unfortunate, LivLuv.

I have always had issues with things like that.
But that is a long, long story.

I wonder sometimes if I would be too protective....

I can understand why people wouldn't like this film. I just viewed it as cartoonish the whole time. I know a lot of people who won't watch it for the same reasons you stated. Violence only bothers me in war movies because that is real. Maybe that's the wrong view, but that's how I've always been.

For Honor said:
Wow....

That's unfortunate, LivLuv.

I have always had issues with things like that.
But that is a long, long story.

I wonder sometimes if I would be too protective....

Yeah, it was hands down the WORST dream ever. Everything was too real and the dream went on and on b/c they let me go and then I went home and was so confused and didn't know what to do.....I spent yesterday sick to my stomach just dealing with the dream, I can't imagine what it's like in real life.

Anyway, enough of that....

I've been having a lot of dreams lately - like a lot. I never have dreams, but I've had them almost all week now.

The last two nights, actually, I have had two distinct dreams each night. I would wake up, and the fall back to sleep..

I wonder why I am dreaming so much. It must be the change of times that is going on around me, perhaps. But they aren't scary draems, just... "what am I supposed to learn from this" dreams. It's like hearing a song, and understanding some of the words, but not knowing what the song is about, or the intention, purpose, or twist....

Maybe it's because there are other places where I would want to be...

PS - I hope everyone can have some plesant dreams....

Last edited:
the rockin edge said:
haven't seen kill bill and I dont plan to

I haven't either and most likely won't. Still Quentin's movies are odd and confusing but somewhat intriguing....I just don't care for constant fighting, blood and gore. I don't find that entertaining in any way.

He did an amazing job with HERO - QT did.

As far as Kill Bills.......
It;s funny, because I saw the 2nd one today, and thought about this thread.

I fail to see the humor in some of it, but I can "understand" why it might be funny. The master, with his long beard, that was funny. But anyone who likes to laugh at some of those more brutal scenes, well........ to each is own

but that's not my bag.

Watched Pulp Fiction the other day, and... similar thing.

I guess I don't get the humor

Sam Jackson was hilarious, that's why I got the movie.
BUt the drugs and such... I wonder why things that gratuitous are taken so well.

PF was much better than Kill Bills, in my opinion.

And I still can't belive QT worked on HERO......
He has a eye for talent, yeah.... but...... ugh.....

Back
Top Bottom