First Aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
Just wondering, who all here has done a course on it, and if so, have you, in real life, used it at all?

saved a person choking?
maybe helped at an accident scene?

bandaged deep wounds, blood all over the place?

or even, as awkward as it is to mention, CPR?

etc.

and if you DID do any of above or something else, were you completely calm or did you panic a little?

I done one back in 2004, after three years of not needing to use it, I never did renew it. actually now I wouldnt be confident, even if you can only do your best.

so, anyone? :)

(if mods arent happy with this, please remove! :wink::wink:)

I didn't have the chance to do any of those emergency things (thank goodness) but I was forced to represent several departments on the floor I worked at my last job on the Safety Committee and had to take 3 First Aid and CPR courses against my will. It was interesting in that I got a certificate and retain the basics of some life saving techniques but I don't know what I'd do if I was actually in the position where I had to USE any of the skills! I think I'd freak out a little bit. I think it takes a really strong person to remain calm and act quickly in an emergency situation.

I would recommend everyone to take a First Aid course though. One never knows when the skills and information you absorb at such classes might one day come in handy. :up:

I've done a few of them over time and only had to use them on rare occasions. Once was to help a young lad with autism who had a grand mal seizure on me in a swimming pool. I'm not sure how the hell I got him out, but I did, and he was in the recovery position before I even registered what was happening I think. I've never had to do CPR and hope to never experience someone in need of such. It's a priceless knowledge. Do it, mads!
:up:

Haven't had the chance (thank God) but I take CPR every summer and first aid every other. CPR techniques have changed a lot and still change every year. I'm planning on getting a pocket CPR (about $200) when I have the money and was just telling Phil I'd get my own AED if I had the money for that. AED training is important too; most times CPR cannot save a person but an AED might.

I'm always around men that are at high risk for heart attacks (my dad, my grandpa, my boss, and my dog trainer) so I have this fear that one will have a heart attack. Makes me nervous being anywhere without an AED on site.

My mom had to do the Heimlich on my dad once, he was choking on a bite of venison steak and could not talk or breathe.

Done 2 courses, never had to use it tho. Hope I never do.

But I'd like to emphasise, that if someones heart and breathing stops, its better to try and do CPR than nothing at all, you cant make the situation any worse. :)

Yeah, you might break a rib but who wouldn't rather have a busted rib and be alive? Last training I did my palms were sore and bruised and I wasn't even compressing hard enough. Most women need to really throw their body weight into it even just to do it right, many are not capable of doing it too hard.

Also you are protected by Good Samaritan laws. The only thing you really can't do is turn the AED off once you turn it on.

I took a First Aid 'basics' course twice (once to renew the previous one). That was years ago though, and thankfully I haven't needed to use it. I've actually been told by medics in my family not to use it, because the person suffering or their family could sue you if you did any further damage or if they died while you tried to save them. :(

Just thought I'd say here that I signed up for a course today... my mum's with the Ambos so she sort of pushed me into it. I hope I never have to use it obviously, but it's something I've been meaning to learn for a long time. Sort of helps when my mum knows the teachers, too.

I work in health care so I'll spare the gory details, but I happen to enjoy them. :)

I've done CPR twice on codes in the ER but it was never successful.

Back
Top Bottom