Feeling stretched thin...already

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
It's only the third week of school and I'm already exhausted. Not just because of schoolwork, but I've also had campaign after campaign after campaign wanting my help. Just this morning alone I woke up to 4 different emails from 4 different people asking me to help out doing this and that. In the meantime I have various tests, papers, and school activities to keep up with. I already feel like I'm beginning to crumple under the pressure, wanting to please everyone, and I'm stressing myself sick.

Tonight is the first Young Dems meeting of the year, I think I'm going to have a chat with the other officers letting them know that I can't do all this by myself which is the way it's been so far, and they need to step up and do their part. I just can't do it all myself, no matter how much I love it all, it just gets to be too much, and it gets to a point where I need to say "No sorry I can't do it."

I'm not going to my classes today, I really need to rest, I think I'm just going to lie in bed and play U2 on iTunes. :sigh:

You can only do what you are able to do. Be choosy. Nothing wrong with that. Rest and have a cup of tea on me today :)

It's great that you are so involved and flattering that people come to you when they need some help...but there is only so much you can do! Prioritize and decide which things are most important.

Hopefully after the YD meeting tonight I can do some delegating and other people can represent my school at events. I'm not even the president but I do a heck of a lot more work than he does. :tsk:

I did watch Sesame Street this morning...that always makes me feel better when I'm under the weather :angel:

:lol::D

It was funny, because Elmo checked his e-mail, and my roomie and I were like "Wow, Sesame Street has gone high-tech!" It's only been about 15 years since I grew out of it but they didn't even have computers!

It's still an excellent show though :cute:

Resting has helped...I'm feeling better and more relaxed...I just want this week to be over then things should be better.

School is more important to extra-C activities, no matter how awesomely political they are. Pick one thing to do besides skoolz, and do it well.

Bonochick said:
It's great that you are so involved and flattering that people come to you when they need some help...but there is only so much you can do! Prioritize and decide which things are most important.

I agree. Unless you set boundaries people will always try and monopolize your time--not because they're selfish but sometimes they can forget you've got a bazillion other things you have to do. Besides, not to sound like a mom, but your studies is really the most important. Take the day off and then start delegating your time, and be sure to plan for U2DEM TIME. :wink:

I've gotten some assignments done today so a lot of pressure is off for now. I just wish I could have more free time this weekend but noooooooo it's parents weekend therefore my parents MUST be here :p

starsgoblue said:

I agree. Unless you set boundaries people will always try and monopolize your time--not because they're selfish but sometimes they can forget you've got a bazillion other things you have to do. Besides, not to sound like a mom, but your studies is really the most important. Take the day off and then start delegating your time, and be sure to plan for U2DEM TIME. :wink:

and a :hug:

elmo.gif

:hug: Just remember Laura - when you're Ms. President of the United States of America, you're going to have a lot of people fighting for your attention & help then, too. :happy: I know it's exhausting, but just look on this as good experience. :wink:

I hope you rest well & wake up re-energized & ready to get back into the swing of things tomorrow. :up:

Laura you are an incredibly intelligent, mature young woman who obviously knows herself well enough to make the very best decisions for YOU. Delegating is an art, good for you for doing this. I didn't learn the fine art of doing this until I was in my mid 30'2! And you can only do so much, we are only human. Just to recognize that you are beginning to spread a bit thin is a good thing, and to be able to pull back and de-stress is very brave in this fast paced, highly competitive world! Give yourself a great big pat on the back for doing the right thing, and especially for taking in an educational show on TV like Sesame Street instead of spacing out in front of one of those bubble headed MTV shows! You will bounce back, sounds like you already have! :wink:

Last edited:
When you're president, two things will happen.

1. All this stress will have made you stronger and you'll be able to take on new stresses. :wink:
(My advice is just to prioritize, and drop some stuff from your schedule. If you're not able to give the most important things your all, then you're not at your best anyway.)
2. As a member of the media, I'm going to do a big story on how you sought guidance from Elmo during your college years. All the stress you're dealing with now will help you be able to explain to the free world how you as president rely on the wisdom of furry monsters. :wink:

I'm going into the last year of my PhD, and I can definitely relate to feeling stretched thin. Between job applications, working on my dissertation, teaching, working for the editor of a magazine, and other responsibilities, I don't feel like I have a lot of time for myself.

Make sure you take some time for yourself every day. Don't feel guilty if you say no. It's better to do a few things really well than it is to rush through a lot of different things. This sounds silly, but always try to get your rest and eat right. Stress can weaken your immune system, but taking care of yourself will help you to fight off germs and stay healthy.

And Bert and Ernie always help. I'm more of an Animaniacs girl myself, though. :giggle:

Good luck with everything!

Thanks everyone :hug::hug::hug:

I'm still feeling weak and worn out this morning, I think I may pay a visit to the school nurse. I haven't slept well in about a week, and I'm sure as y'all know that can really break your body down.

:sigh:

I also found a renewed appreciation of Sesame Street when I was in college :lol:.

Like other people have said, you have to learn to say "no" sometimes when people ask you to take on tasks. It took me awhile to learn that lesson too, but once I did I was much happier.

Just make sure you don't burn out. Because if that happens it's a long road back. But you're smart and self aware and you already see the negatives.

Listen to your body... Do only what is absolutely necessary and/or what you really feel like doing!! I know the problem of trying to please everybody, but I'm learning more and more that this just cannot happen, because you'll get a burn-out and that is so not worth everything...

Try to think a little more about yourself :hug:

So far I've had a very serene, relaxing weekend. To top it off I just watched my school win the football game out my dorm window! :D I've needed this rest...from here on out I'll be delegating my duties to other Young Dems and doing what I can for the campaigns in moderation.

Back
Top Bottom