Feel like an idiot? Join the club...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Friday was one of those days where everything went wrong, but it was all my fault and now I'm stuck kicking myself in the ass.

First, I overdrew my checking account by $1.35. I had a few bucks in (things have been tight since I missed a month of work for the Africa class), then these two ATM use fees from almost a month ago (like, the day U2 Chicago tix went on sale) showed up. I guess I never balanced them in b/c I assumed they were deducted at the same time I used the ATM to make the withdrawal. So anyway, I overdrew, which could end up in a $25 penalty, all for $1.35. Then, I went in to work b/c a new computer virus came out this week and half our staff was out with a real virus so the entire campus is pissed that we're so behind. I worked all day and missed a dentist appointment. I called to apologize and reschedule and the dentist even yelled at me for "wasting his time". Then I got my paycheck which was supposed to be a great thing, but it wasn't even enough to pay my rent share, let alone utilities, school books, and FOOD. Today my dad did my taxes and yelled at me b/c apparently my school put my local address (where I live instead of my parent's house which is for now my home/permanent address) on my W2 instead of their address. According to my dad this is a terrible pain in the ass and he says I must've given them the wrong address (nevermind I didn't LIVE here when I filled out tax forms 2 years ago).

Anyway, the point of the story is, this whole weekend I've just felt like a total moron for making such rediculous mistakes. Do you ever just feel awful/stupid like nothing you do is right, even if it's insignificant things that don't really matter in the long run?

I guess the silver lining is that I'm getting more back for taxes than I thought and the overdraw charge hasn't shown up on my account yet so I'll keep my fingers crossed...

if it's a miniscule amount like that, hopefully the bank will cover you. i'm assuming you're good for that $1.35. :wink:

we all have days like that, unfortunately.

:hug:

I can be a little ignorant at times when it comes to math, I don't know about you guys. I've gone over my account 3 TIMES. And proud of it, and proud of being proud of it, because it's better than kicking myself in the head for it.

I believe I've been charged about $300 total for going over. I'd be glad to join your club, but I might brag about it. :)

Any bank with any credibility will refund that overdraft fee, as long as you don't have a long history of overdrafts and overdraft refunds.

Melon

Yeah, even if I have to pay the penalty, it's no biggie, I just feel like a moron for a) having less than $1.50 in my account to begin with and b) overdrawing by only 1.35. It looks as if the bank didn't catch it, even though once my bf overdrew by 47 cents and got charged. :rolleyes:

I know how sickening that is :banghead: I had 4 overdrafts, each for very small amounts at $30 each, yet the bank let the one big thing through. I believe they did it that way to get more fees from me. It sucks they charge the people who can afford it least. We all make mistakes. :(

Yes, i know what you mean! I wouldn't feel so bad if i were you 'cos i normally feel the worlds' BIGGEST idiot!
I seem to be forever mucking things up! I also think it's a total outrage when banks put these charges on poor people, it's so unfair&disgusting, eh?

My sympathies to you, but i'll bet i've done a LOT more daft things!! I just never seem to have all that much luck!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Nah, they can charge whatever they want. I'm not mad at the bank, I'm mad at myself for that and lots of other things.

that's a bummer
I have stopped getting worked up over ridiculous mistakes myself though

You should see if your bank has overdraft protection and/or a line of credit option. That way if you ever do get in the negative again you'll be covered. Both should be free with your account and if not then you should should switch banks because it should be part of your account!

The bank decided not to charge me b/c the reason I overdrew was for using an ATM and being charged extra. :hyper:

In the mean time, I sold my scanner, discman, and water fountain to cover the charge, so now I have some extra cash to print more pictures of my trip.

Back
Top Bottom