Ever overcome a phobia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you overcome one? If so, how?

Spiders :sick: I don't mind looking at them...as long as they're not on me. It comes and goes. Sometimes, I'd go to bed and feel them on me and i'd freak out. But really, there weren't any...It went away, but now it's kinda back. My apartment is full of white ones. Really gross. But now that I'm moving back at my parents, I'll be alright...

The worst one...I haven't overcome yet. But I have to live with it everyday, is getting locked in a bathroom. Every since I was little. I never lock my door, I'll ask my mum, sister or a friend to guard the door...unless I'm home or somewhere I go often, it's not as bad. I don't freak out as much.

When I think of it...it's serisouly silly! Lock me in a bedroom or a closet and I'll be fine...but that damn bathroom :crazy:

I have an irrational fear of water and never learned to swim. I don't know if at this point I never learned to swim because I was afraid of water or if I am afraid of water because I never learned to swim. It's always embarrassed me but I live in the desert so I don't have to deal with it. But we do have flash floods here and I always think it's so stupid that if I were swept away in a car I'd have no chance even if I was able to get out of the car. A couple of years ago a friend of mine who is 70 years old slipped while hiking and fell into Lake Champlain and I thought, wow, that could happen to me and if it did, again, I wouldn't have a chance unless someone saved me. I didn't even know he could swim, but then I realized most people can swim even if I've never known them to go to the beach or ever even speak of swimming.

Anyway, I am looking into taking private swimming lessons next summer. I found a place that comes highly recommended. The thought of it is more exciting than scary so I think I am actually ready to overcome this. I'm going to spend the next 6 months imagining it and getting comfortable with the idea, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for it.

So, I'll let you know. :uhoh:

I have been terrified of spiders since before I could even talk. My grandma told me that once she was watching me when I was a toddler and I was acting paralyzed, like I was having a conscious seizure or something. She even called my grandpa at work. I was sitting in the kid chair not moving or trying to talk. Well it was b/c there was a large crack in the drywall on the ceiling and I thought it was a giant spider. When I was about 3 I would have night terrors where I was covered in them and I couldn't move or I'd disturb them. Now when I see them, even if it's a small one, I'm too scared to even kill it, someone else has to do it. The only way I can kill them is to spray them or pour goo on them, I can stand to squish them with a book or anything. I HATE HATE HATE them! Spiders are evil and manipulative, if you think about it their entire existance is trapping things and inflicting pain. The hate seems to be mutual b/c I can't tell you how many times I've found them on me, or lifted the covers and found a huge one on my pillow, or felt one crawling on my legs under the sheets (a black hairy one!).

If you find the answer, let me know. Currently when I see one it's like a shot of adrenaline.
i really feel your pain! i've got something similar...a recurring nightmare i've had for as long as i can remember, at least since i was five or so. i'm laying in my crib, and there's a spider on the ceiling. creepy but whatever. then there's another one. and more and more and then they're all over the ceiling. then they start falling on the ground, on me, everywhere. i start to cry and my mom comes in, sees what's going on, screams, and leaves. i reeeeeeeally hate spiders.

I used to be scared to death of snakes. Like seriously, truthfully frightened. Hated the damn things. But one day, when I was living at my old place about a year and a half ago, I met these two random dudes who lived in the apartment right below me. They brought over some beer and we were out shootin the shit on my balcony all afternoon when one of 'em leaves for a minute. He comes back into my apartment with a BIG fuckin green snake and walks onto the balcony and hands the thing right to me. I'm drunk and I don't think twice and next thing I know I'm holding this thing in my right hand. A snake. I guess the dudes owned it and kept it in their apartment. Anyway, it's slithering around and looking at me and I'm practically in shock. If the bastard had told me he was bringing a snake into my apartment I would have kicked his ass on general principle and I sure as hell wouldn't have let him hand the thing over to me. After about 10 seconds I handed it back to the guy and cracked open another beer.

I never saw those guys again and I'm still scared to death of snakes.

This may be the greatest thing written since Dubliners. I love it.

I have an irrational fear of water and never learned to swim. I don't know if at this point I never learned to swim because I was afraid of water or if I am afraid of water because I never learned to swim. It's always embarrassed me but I live in the desert so I don't have to deal with it. But we do have flash floods here and I always think it's so stupid that if I were swept away in a car I'd have no chance even if I was able to get out of the car. A couple of years ago a friend of mine who is 70 years old slipped while hiking and fell into Lake Champlain and I thought, wow, that could happen to me and if it did, again, I wouldn't have a chance unless someone saved me. I didn't even know he could swim, but then I realized most people can swim even if I've never known them to go to the beach or ever even speak of swimming.

Anyway, I am looking into taking private swimming lessons next summer. I found a place that comes highly recommended. The thought of it is more exciting than scary so I think I am actually ready to overcome this. I'm going to spend the next 6 months imagining it and getting comfortable with the idea, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for it.

So, I'll let you know. :uhoh:

That's excellent, joyful! I hope you can find the peace that water can bring. It's lovely floating, and just swimming in water. I find even being near it very peaceful. Good luck with the lessons! I hope you reply when you've had some to update us.
:)

I sometimes get a panic feeling underwater, but it's ever since I switched from glasses to contacts and can't open my eyes under water. I used to be such a water rat and would swim from one end of the pool to the other without surfacing. Now I will go in, swim, float, whatever...but I don't like to be under the water for more than a few seconds or I feel like I'm being suffocated and have to burst to the top.

The man is here spraying. He said the backyard is a spider graveyard at the moment. There's dead spiders everywhere. He said we 'have an awful lot of them..' Yes. I was aware. Thank you, my new hero.

:hug:

Yeah?? :lol: How so?

It is very hard to explain, I think it is more the sensation of putting it in your mouth and running your teeth on the stick. It sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.

So I just aviod looking at them or touching them at all times.

It is very hard to explain, I think it is more the sensation of putting it in your mouth and running your teeth on the stick. It sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.

So I just aviod looking at them or touching them at all times.

I don't have the fear, but I sort of understand what you mean. Like when the doctor would put one on your tongue, and you sort of feel like you'd choke? Not to say too much about it, 'course.

Speaking of doctors, I was super anxious about going to the doctor today, but I guess that's because of Circumstances. :depressed:

Oh, completely understand that. In the same boat. I cannot STAND it when I get to end of an icy pole and it's just the stick and touches my teeth and urgh... I get the same feeling, same shiver. I hate it. It's the same with cotton balls. I refuse to touch them.

I can't do the whole stick on the back of the tongue thing. I can't flatten my tongue so the doctor can never see.

Ever since I was about 9, I have been afraid, or fearful of, silhouettes in a doorway while I am in bed or sleeping.
I know this is old stuff, but opening doors while I am in bed freezes me.
I feel paralyzed and start to panic.
My heart races and I wake up straight away.
I know it's because the numerous times many of my mothers friends came into my room to molest me.
Hearing the doorknob turn, the slow opening of the door and the momentary hesitation of the shadow in the doorway.
I would slit my eyes open, just barely so they wouldn't know I was awake, but enough to see who it would be that night.
To this day, I ask Ron to either come to bed at the same time, or go to bed before me.
Just ask him, I still scream and/or jump when he opens the door if I have gone to bed before him.
Alas, I do believe this is a fear that will go to me to my grave.

Also, I had a serious fear of knives/scissors from the age of 14 until I was 33-34.
When I was 14, a man broke into my grand parents home to find my sister.
She was not home, and I ran into him in the hallway coming out of my room.
There was a shelf that had a few cans that had crayons and pencils and scissors in them,
and he grabbed a very long pair of shears, put his arm around my neck and placed the tips of the scissors to my throat, demanding I tell him where my sister was.
He pushed me back into my room,and slammed the door...which (possibly) saved my life, because it woke my grandfather.
But in the 3-4 mins it took him to come out of his room (yelling all the way), the man was able to pull his pants down and mine, and attempted to rape me.
When my grandfather came to my door, the man told me to say everything was ok..but instead I screamed at my grandfather to please go away...
the scissors were pressed hard against my neck.
The door was locked, but the guy pulled himself together, and jumped out the window.

I never ever told my grandfather what really happened, he would have lost it on my sister and me, and blamed us.
So ever since, I never picked them up, or used a knife.
When there were knives to wash at home or work, I never did it.
I just couldn't until I was in my early 30's .
Then one day when I was 33-ish, I cooked my first husband a steak, and couldn't provide him a knife, I was so scared of picking one up.
But something came over me, and I litterally forced myself to hold the huge steak knife.
I held the black plastic handle in my hand, and cried.
It was so,so difficult, but i knew this object could no longer have power over me.
The relief and strength I felt was amazing.

I know this all sounds silly, sorry.
I wish you all well in any help you need to overcome.

:hug:'s to you all.

It doesn't sound silly at all, what a terrible terrible thing to go through :hug: You seem pulled together now, and have some lovely children and partner, so there are some great positives.

Well i booked my flights, i;m just going to grin and bear it and when i get off the plane, be the happiest i ever ever ever will be! :D

Now that snow is here, I thought of an other one...snow plows! I've always been affraid of them, affraid they'd nip the corner of the truck. This is my first year driving in the snow. I just got back from a ride in town, having fun spinning around the corners...fun was over when I met the plow. Got home and I was white as a sheet...:crack:

Right now, I'm feeling pretty confident that I've nipped my fear of flying in the bud :hyper: I've actually never, ever had a problem before, in all my years of travelling, until very recently, in the past year or so. I don't really know what happened :huh: .... on a flight up to Cairns, Queensland, about a 18 months ago, it suddenly occured to me that .... O M G !! I'm 50 thousand feet up in the air in a plastic and metal tube .. get me out of here :lol: Since then, I've had a terrible time with flying and especially since the beginning of the year, have avoided it altogether.

Anyway, I decided I was sick of this behaviour .. and being fearfulof anything really. I booked a two week trip up to Sydney/Brisbane, and then eventually flying home from Byron Bay. The first flight (to Sydney) I had sweaty palms and sat there with gritted teeth. Second flight, it was marginally better ... and then, finally, the flight home was basically a piece of cake. I think that was mainly because I totally exhausted myself before leaving, so I promptly fell asleep as soon as I boarded :D I seriously didn't even notice the initial impact of taking off (which I find to be the scariest part of all) I was so zonked out!

I think my coping strategies are to keep your eyes closed as much as possible :lol: and just pretend, hey, I'm just on a bus/train! And I just try to completely quiet my mind as much as possible. I know it's hard, but if I'm not thinking about where I am, or what is happening, I'm much, much less likely to start panicking.

I'm really proud of myself! The fact that I got through this through sheer determination has been a huge confidence boost :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom