even more things i hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks ladies :hug:

i don't mean to be such a debbie downer, i just feel like my life is so fucked atm.

Hey, don't worry about it. :hug:

I haven't had the best time today myself, and the worst thing is that everything's in my imagination and so there's nothing I can do to escape my mind except severe substance abuse, which I can't be bothered doing.

I haven't had the best time today myself, and the worst thing is that everything's in my imagination and so there's nothing I can do to escape my mind except severe substance abuse, which I can't be bothered doing.

oooh, been there. that's not fun. alcohol was a useful substance to abuse, but i couldn't be bothered with that for long either.

oooh, been there. that's not fun. alcohol was a useful substance to abuse, but i couldn't be bothered with that for long either.

I'm on my second beer, so I'm not really getting Behan'd (mainly because I'm poor, Centrelink forgot to pay me twice in a row - they may be trying to give me a sign). Anyway, I got something just now that's made me feel a whole lot better, so I'll tiptoe out of this thread for a moment. :)

When plans change MULTIPLE times within minutes. I found out our plans to go to the Christmas train were nixed, so I called up a friend and asked if she wanted to see a movie with me this afternoon. Minutes later I get an email saying that the Christmas train plans are back on again. W.T.F. Now I don't know which I'd rather do, and either way I risk disappointing someone. Make a plan, and stick to it, people!

...when i can't find what i'm looking for at the mall :down:

-dan

[warning: rant]

i hate this professor.

"Do not use the passive voice. Avoid the verb "to be.""

Because of these two rules I am incapable of writing my paper. Instead of just writing, I stare at a sentence for twenty minutes trying to figure out how to rephrase it.

how am I supposed to completely avoid the verb "to be" ... it exists for a reason, i agree that it shouldn't be used excessively, but sometimes there's no other way to say something, especially if you have a predicate nominal sentence. How do you equate two things without using "to be"?

also, I hate this animosity towards the passive voice (Microsoft Word even tries to correct me...). The passive voice exists for a reason. Sometimes, it makes more sense to emphasize the object. Also, I hate using the impersonal "One must realize..." as opposed to "It must be realized" (for example). Yeah, I know my way is more wordy, but for some reason it really bothers me to say "one," because who the fuck is that?

As a student of Latin and Ancient Greek, both of which use the passive voice ALL THE FREAKING TIME, I don't understand why a Classics professor would be so against it.

Also, in reading scholarly articles, I have noticed that not only do authors use "to be" and the passive voice, but they even use the first person (which we are also told not to use). So I feel like he's being excessively picky for no good reason. If his goal is to prepare us to write in the field of Classics, I don't see the point in forbidding us from doing what all the actual scholars do.

grr.

[/rant]

yeah, it's rough. my english teacher in the 10th grade did the same thing. the whole year, no one could use the passive voice. it's tough writing a research paper where no sentence can be passive.

My roommate in Montana had to take a writing class. In one essay he used this for of "One...". His teacher told him not to use that as it was too academic a language. In a university that takes pride in its succesful journalism school. :huh:

Does he maybe just want you to try to first look for alternative ways for "to be" and only use it if not avoidable? At least he made a difference between that and the passive.
Why the passive has fallen so out of fashion I don't know, but a lot of German students would be very happy about that. ;)

Also, I hate using the impersonal "One must realize..." as opposed to "It must be realized" (for example). Yeah, I know my way is more wordy, but for some reason it really bothers me to say "one," because who the fuck is that?

What would the rest of your "It must be realized" sentence be? I mean I read what you have and I think, it must be realized by ???? Whatever group or person fills the question marked space is also "one", so use that instead of "One". If, for example, whatever it is must be realized by readers, then readers must realize also works. It sounds better too.

that sounds overboard.

i know we were never allowed to use first-person/direct to be.

so you could never say I or you. which is a good thing.

well english was my best subject, and i learnt early on not to use I or you, and (english/text response/literature) essays just sound and read so much better when first person isn't used, because then you aren't shoving an opinion down an assesor's throat so much as presenting a point of view in a more credible way.

headaches
oedema
hip dysplasia
relentless fatigue
that I let my grandmother down and she is absolutely ok with it because she's probably the definition of perfect and I am more the definition of idiot.
:(

Cold sores.

Although Blistex makes it feel a lot better, it isn't doing a thing to make it physically go away. I'm tried of piling makeup on top of it every morning trying to hide it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom