Drunk Drivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Coming home from Fox & Hounds tonight, I was almost hit by a drunk driver. I feel so lucky to be here in my own home, alive and well, my car intact, one piece. Daisy's coming home tomorrow after being gone for nearly six weeks. Hell, I'm so shaken.

Anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car and drives after drinking alcohol should be shot.

I know its been a while since I've actively posted, but I felt like I had to get this out.

PLEASE...PLEASE, PLEASE!!! DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!

:up: agreed! whenever someone drunk drives, they should lose their car, license and should NEVER be able to regain their license!

Glad to hear you're safe!

Coming home from Fox & Hounds tonight, I was almost hit by a drunk driver. I feel so lucky to be here in my own home, alive and well, my car intact, one piece. Daisy's coming home tomorrow after being gone for nearly six weeks. Hell, I'm so shaken.

Anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car and drives after drinking alcohol should be shot.

PLEASE...PLEASE, PLEASE!!! DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!

So glad you are ok!

It is not just driving after drinking but also after taking pills................. DON"T DO IT!

Past History of Drunk Driving by Vicky Hollowell and Jay Sorgi

Online court records indicate that two days before the crash, Benson pleaded guilty to his third drunk driving offense, had his license revoked, and was set to begin serving a 75-day jail sentence in early May.

"Makes me wonder how many chances you give somebody," said Steve Bukosky, Jennifer's father in-law.

Benson, a former doctor, also has a history of arrests for drug abuse, and he had to give up his medical license because of suspicion that he wrote himself fake prescriptions.

^The above is part of a tragic accident that happened here earlier this year.
Here is a link to the story:
JS Online: Physician held in fatal crash
It is heartbreaking.

There has been a lot of drunk driving going on here..............the sheriff has dubbed a area on our freeway system "Death Valley" because of all the accidents/arrests from drunk driving. Things need to change here in a hurry.

It is really no better than attempted murder.

But the alcohol lobby is too powerful for meaningful laws to ever be enacted that would protect us from people who have no regard for themselves or others on the road.

I'm glad that you escaped unharmed, at least that is a huge relief.

Im happy that you are safe and sound :hug: A drunk driver damn nearly killed my oldest sister when I was younger. It was only by sheer luck that she survived the impact. Have zero tolerance for anyone who drinks and drives! Use your head and don't do it!

It's an awful lack of judgement that many drunk people think they are still able to drive. Where I live, it's happening on a regular basis, and scary enough, these are mostly young people, almost kids.

Come on, guys, it's not a shame to let your car stand where it is and take a cab ride home when you've had one too many.

I'm glad you're okay, cell.

Well, the problem is sometimes one does not know until one is already driving because certain drinks hit you late! That is why I try not to have more than a couple of drinks if I know I'm driving. It takes at least 4 or so to get me buzzed usually.

Well, the problem is sometimes one does not know until one is already driving because certain drinks hit you late! That is why I try not to have more than a couple of drinks if I know I'm driving. It takes at least 4 or so to get me buzzed usually.

Right, but like you said, you can count and if you can't count or can't remember, then chances are you shouldn't be driving :wink:

I like to keep it real simple: If I've had anything to drink, I won't drive. Or, whoever is the designated driver simply does not drink.

I see driving under the influence as black and white. No excuses, none.

It's an awful lack of judgement that many drunk people think they are still able to drive. Where I live, it's happening on a regular basis, and scary enough, these are mostly young people, almost kids.

The people I know of who think nothing of drinking and driving here are actually older. We heard a while ago that a family member's husband drinks a bottle of wine and a few beers every day and then drives his children around when he's clearly too pissed to be doing so. I pray he is lucky enough not to be in an accident or that someone reports him/he gets caught really soon.

Whether you feel drunk isn't the issue. Whether it takes more than four drinks to make you feel sloshed isn't the issue. Whether the drink hits you late isn't the issue. If you're over the limit you're breaking the law and you're putting yourself and others in danger, regardless of how sober and with it you may feel. There are no excuses for getting into a car if you've been drinking. Even one unit can impair your driving and two can put you over the limit. I don't see why someone would even chance it. I'm with Liesje and La Harlem on this one. You either drink or drive.

Driving a mechanically propelled vehicle is essentially, of its very nature, a potentially dangerous activity.

A bad or fatigued sober driver is a worse risk that an alert good driver who is slightly over the limit.

Tiredness/fatigue and driving while talking on a mobile phone are potentially more dangerous than driving after one or two beers, but we don't get on our hobby horses about those.

For the record, I don't drive, drunk or sober.

I find it alarming the way people will justify a few drinks and driving, seemingly ignoring the changes it has on your reaction times and so on. It's not really about being drunk, buzzed or nothing of the sort because you have "only had 2 and are therefore not affected". You're well and truly affected after 2 drinks. And yeah, it's just like fatigue and mobile phones affect our reaction times and concentration. The car radio is also another unspoken of risk. However, this is about the danger of drinking and driving. If anyone honestly thinks they are just fine and within their rights to drink after just a couple, then more fool them and I sincerely hope they don't discover the errors of this thinking the hard way.

And for what it's worth, no ones' liberties with having a few and driving can trump my liberties. Don't risk mine or anyone's life for the sake of a couple of drinks, for fucks sake. It's hardly a worthy match up in terms of worthiness or righteousness. Life? Or beer?

And yeah, it's just like fatigue and mobile phones affect our reaction times and concentration. The car radio is also another unspoken of risk. However, this is about the danger of drinking and driving.

And for what it's worth, no ones' liberties with having a few and driving can trump my liberties. Don't risk mine or anyone's life for the sake of a couple of drinks, for fucks sake. It's hardly a worthy match up in terms of worthiness or righteousness. Life? Or beer?

:up:

Using a mobile phone and driving is definitely dangerous and against the law. Drivers are advised not to drive if they feel tired. I've seen plenty of folk get on their high horse about people driving and yapping on a mobile (and speeding, smoking, having music blaring and only concentrating on singing at the top of their lungs...).

It shouldn't matter what is more lethal, they're all unnecessarily putting lives at risk.

/off topic

A bad or fatigued sober driver is a worse risk that an alert good driver who is slightly over the limit.

Tiredness/fatigue and driving while talking on a mobile phone are potentially more dangerous than driving after one or two beers, but we don't get on our hobby horses about those.

Then I'll expand what I said before. I see driving in general as black and white, either you should or you should not. I do not eat while I drive, I do not talk on my phone while I drive, I will not drive if I've even had one drink within the last hour and a half, and if I feel too tired or fatigued I will not drive. If Phil calls me and I can tell he is driving I will say I don't want to talk to him while he's driving or cut it short. I totally agree with your first statement. I often have to drive my dogs to the training club several times a week and it's a long drive. There have been times I've called in "sick" simply because I'm too tired and don't feel safe driving in the dark on winding roads through the woods all by myself. Likewise if Phil and I are going somewhere and I notice he is tired I'll ask him to stop for a while or I will take over.

In any case, I believe in common sense. If there's a chance you shouldn't be driving, then you shouldn't be driving.

Cell phone use while driving is increasingly becoming illegal, so I'm not sure that's a good comparison anyway. Plus it's a more recent phenomenon so obviously there isn't the same kind of history as with drunk driving.

As for tiredness, poor driving, etc, what difference does that make? Even if every driver on the road was tired, we should still target all drunk drivers regardless. A lack of equivalent outrage has nothing to do with the fact we simply do not prosecute drunk drivers the way we should.

No Zootlesque, that's not a problem..that's an excuse.

Last year, the CA Highway Patrol was deluged with tons of what they originally suspected were drunken crank calls in response to their overhead, electronic signs that read "DRUNK DRIVERS CALL 911".....

They've since changed their approach "Call 911 to Report Drunk Drivers".

Look! I agree with you all that having too much to drink and getting behind the wheel is horrible, foolish and could be deadly. But the issue is not as black and white as some of you would like it to be. Not everyone has a roommate or girlfriend/boyfriend whatever to drive them home. Some people just have to sober up before driving back... or just know their limits! If I kept drinking and driving completely mutually exclusive, I would never be able to drink, ever! I drive everywhere. I drive to meet up with friends, at their homes or at a bar or whatever. It's very rare that I carpool with somebody to go to a bar. In that case, I could easily just not drive. But most of the time I have to drive back home after hanging with friends and having a couple of beers or whatever. Doesn't mean I drive drunk! I don't let it go to that point if I know I'm gonna be driving. If I completely avoided alcohol like you people are suggesting, then my options are (a.) Stay home and don't have a social life.. and worse still, drink by yourself. or (b.) Go out all you want but never touch alcohol again. It is just not reasonable. Bottomline: Know your limits!

You know Zoots, you can have a good time without drinking :eyebrow:

[/PSA]

Oh I agree. But all I'm saying is it is not possible (at least for me) to completely avoid drinking every single time I drive. I drive all the fucking time! So all I'm saying is as long as you're sober before driving, I don't see a problem.

When you don't feel even the slightest buzz? If you've been drinking for a while, you should be able to know your limits as to how many is one too many before you can handle a vehicle.

But all I'm saying is it is not possible (at least for me) to completely avoid drinking every single time I drive.

I actually agree with what you said earlier about knowing your limits - I for one know I can have one beer or one small drink and drive myself home an hour or so later.

But the statement I quoted is ridiculous. It is entirely possible to avoid drinking. You just, um, don't drink.

Back
Top Bottom