drinking whiskey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MirrorballLemon said:

but you have to worry about being at a party where there are underagers...then you're guilty by association and you'll be sitting in court all over again. I've seen it happen.

if it's not my pary, i dont know how i could be guilty, it's not my responability to check for IDs of the guests.

but i guess you're right, i wouldn't put it past those borough police. :yuck:

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:

if it's not my pary, i dont know how i could be guilty, it's not my responability to check for IDs of the guests.

but i guess you're right, i wouldn't put it past those borough police. :yuck:

If you buy the alcohol and someone underage is caught with it then you are responsible. Really, if you help someone underage access alcohol they can get you on it.

Everything action has risks. You just have to be willing to pay the price for your actions. :shrug:

WildHoneyAlways said:

If you buy the alcohol and someone underage is caught with it then you are responsible. Really, if you help someone underage access alcohol they can get you on it.

Everything action has risks. You just have to be willing to pay the price for your actions. :shrug:

yeah i know about the providing alcohol part, but mirrorball was saying you can get in trouble for just BEING at a party where there are underage drinkers, even if you didnt buy anything, just being in the presence of underage drinkers.

yeah, it's a big risk buying booze for underagers. at IUP it's $1000 fine and they kick you out of school for a year. :yikes:

of course they'll have a hard time proving you baught anything, unless the underagers tell on you.

im gonna have to be careful about this next semester cause i got a house with 4 other guys, 3 of whom will be underage until sometime in 2007. and i know we are gonna party a lot. :wink:

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:

im gonna have to be careful about this next semester cause i got a house with 4 other guys, 3 of whom will be underage until sometime in 2007. and i know we are gonna party a lot. :wink:

Yeah, for your friends' sakes you should be careful. I don't think anything can happen to you, unless you're buying stuff for them at their request, but if you're drinking and cops come over, they will definitely get in trouble for being there, even if they aren't drinking. That's how my brother got in trouble (or so he says). He was with friends and he said he wasn't drinking but his friends, who are 21, were drinking. He had to go to court, pay fees and fines, lost his license, go to jr. AA classes, etc.

VertigoGal said:
dunno if you noticed, but most people seemed to react negatively to the fact that you get angry/agressive and think it's funny, moreso than your being a bit under 21.

:banghead:

what i find funny is the fact that beer makes me happy and whiskey makes me more prone to get angry. funny how certain things make people react differently, even though they are both alcohol.

thats what i meant.

but i guess people took it as, "i get pissed when i drink whiskey, and thats funny", which wasnt what i meant.

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Yeah, for your friends' sakes you should be careful. I don't think anything can happen to you, unless you're buying stuff for them at their request, but if you're drinking and cops come over, they will definitely get in trouble for being there, even if they aren't drinking. That's how my brother got in trouble (or so he says). He was with friends and he said he wasn't drinking but his friends, who are 21, were drinking. He had to go to court, pay fees and fines, lost his license, go to jr. AA classes, etc.

if they gave him a breathalizer test and it came up 0.0, i dont see how they could get him for underage drinking.

thats pretty chickenshit then, if he blew a 0.0 and still got cited. that's something they'd do at IUP.

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:

if they gave him a breathalizer test and it came up 0.0, i dont see how they could get him for underage drinking.

thats pretty chickenshit then, if he blew a 0.0 and still got cited. that's something they'd do at IUP.

I'm not sure if he was breathalized or not. He was underage, at a party with alchohol. Not allowed.

JMScoopy said:

My sister was given a drinking ticket w/o being breathalized. She demanded one and they still didn't give her one. She talked to campus legal services and they said there was nothing they could do. :shrug:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I'm not sure if he was breathalized or not. He was underage, at a party with alchohol. Not allowed.

so if im at a wedding or a graduation party or something were people of age are drinking, i could get cited even if im not drinking?

if not, why not? i dont see the difference between being at a college party and a wedding where there is alcohol.

Party Boy said:

Thats a lot of shots!

:yes:

depends on the time frame you do them in as well. doing any more than 15 in one night is setting yourself up for some major problems, i've found that out the hard way. thats why im more careful with the hard stuff, when i rarely drink it.

beer, however, i'm a tank when it comes to drinking beer. :wink:

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:

so if im at a wedding or a graduation party or something were people of age are drinking, i could get cited even if im not drinking?

if not, why not? i dont see the difference between being at a college party and a wedding where there is alcohol.

As far as weddings go, I know that 2 of my friends that have had wedding receptions in the past two years had to sign a contract saying that they would not provide alcohol to their underage guests. The contracts noted that the guest could be cited and the person providing would be arrested.

There is also a huge difference between a college party and a wedding reception. :lol:

JMScoopy said:

I dunno either. :shrug:

I don't have much experience b/c I rarely drink since it's so expensive and my fiance can't drink because of medication he's on.

All I know is that in some cases, you can get busted.

What's ironic is that my housemate is underage and her boyfriend is 21, but he lives in apartments on-campus so he can't have alcohol there. So he buys the drinks and she keeps them all here. We don't have parties though and they're pretty high-class drinkers (they have wines they bought in Italy, stuff like that) so it's never been an issue.

JMScoopy said:

:yes:

depends on the time frame you do them in as well. doing any more than 15 in one night is setting yourself up for some major problems, i've found that out the hard way. thats why im more careful with the hard stuff, when i rarely drink it.

Sometimes I would love to be able to drag college kids like this into the lab and have them perform an alcohol experiement with cultured liver cells and then have them watch them under the microscope.

Invincible, we are not.

A family get together, if your parents give you the alcohol, it's legal. I belive that's correct. Am I right?

However, even if you are in the place where illegal alcohol consumption is taking place, and you didn't drink, you were there and that's enough to get you cited. I know b/c it happened to my friends while we played basketball in high school so they got a citation or whatever and suspended from like 4 games. Even though they didn't drink.

I guess face it, they're out to get us...
:shifty:

Forgive my ignorance but what is a "citation"? The police actually arrest 18, 19 and 20 year old adults for just drinking? Do you have to be doing something daft or causing a disturbance (which I can understand) or is the very fact that you have drunk alcohol? Do they have nothing better to do??:huh:

Tilli said:
Forgive my ignorance but what is a "citation"? The police actually arrest 18, 19 and 20 year old adults for just drinking? Do you have to be doing something daft or causing a disturbance (which I can understand) or is the very fact that you have drunk alcohol? Do they have nothing better to do??:huh:

I don't think it's the same as an arrest. When you're arrested, you're taken into custody and processed. I'm sure you can get arrested for multiple violations. It's more like a speeding ticket. Typically, you are doing something that creates a disturbance, otherwise how would they catch you? My housemate is underage and drinks something every other day and she's never been caught, but we don't get drunk and loud and obnoxious. When you get cited, it's for drinking underage. The police of course have much better things to do, but when people call them and complain about neighbors/kids being totally rude and obnoxious, the police are obligated to follow up.

Tilli said:

you dont get "arrested" in the classical sense of the word. a citation is basically like a traffic ticket. what happened to me is they stopped us, took are information down, then left. i recieved the citation in the mail and had to go up to the courthouse to take care of it. you can plead either guilty, which i did, or not guilty, which the other people i was with did.

penalty for 1st offense:
$300 fine
90 day license suspension
possible 90 days in jail
$119 court cost - (for the whole 5 minutes i was there :mad:)

if you are doing something stupid, they'll probably cite you for UAD and public drunkeness. what happened when i got caught was we were walking out of a party that supposidly got a complaint, and the police were waiting outside to bust the 1st people who came out, me.

to answer your question, no indiana borough police really have nothing better to do than screw over college students. my one buddy who takes karate with me, who is 40 years old, says he doesnt even drive through indiana. he calls it "gestapo land." :lol:

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:

you dont get "arrested" in the classical sense of the word. a citation is basically like a traffic ticket. what happened to me is they stopped us, took are information down, then left. i recieved the citation in the mail and had to go up to the courthouse to take care of it. you can plead either guilty, which i did, or not guilty, which the other people i was with did.

penalty for 1st offense:
$300 fine
90 day license suspension
possible 90 days in jail
$119 court cost - (for the whole 5 minutes i was there :mad:)

if you are doing something stupid, they'll probably cite you for UAD and public drunkeness. what happened when i got caught was we were walking out of a party that supposidly got a complaint, and the police were waiting outside to bust the 1st people who came out, me.

to answer your question, no indiana borough police really have nothing better to do than screw over college students. my one buddy who takes karate with me, who is 40 years old, says he doesnt even drive through indiana. he calls it "gestapo land." :lol:

You honestly believe the police are out to get college students because they "have nothing better to do"? You have the same attitude as my son does which is ludicrous and immature. College students or others who choose public drunkenness, driving under the influence or simply becoming intoxicated for the pure fun or thrill of it are the ones who could really find something much more meaningful and healthy to do! The police have their hands full dealing with the likes of those to keep the innocent folks safe. It's not the other way around. When you choose to drink or choose to be publicly intoxicated, you take the chance of being fined or arrested, or worse. If you don't want these things to happen to you then the solution is simple really. Drink responsibly. Stupid sloppy drunks are idiots.

Carek1230 said:

You honestly believe the police are out to get college students because they "have nothing better to do"?

Yeah, trust me, I my uncles are officers and the LAST thing they like doing is wasting time breaking up kids' parties. But like I said before, when others call to complain, cops are obligated to follow through. That's probably why they don't usually let you off with a warning. You're wasting their time being stupid!

if you arent from indiana, pa, how do you know what the cops here are like?

how come they sit up by the bars on weekends and wait for people to come out and stumble walking or something so they can cite them?

and, as tiny dancer said, they cited 70 people last weekend for UAD. 70!!!!!!!! sure they have better things to do. :rolleyes:

believe me, indiana consists of walmart, a small mall, and the campus, THATS IT. the college students make up around 1/2 the population. so yeah, the borough police really dont have anything better to do than give college students shit. the state police are 5 minutes down the road, so they would handle anything major that would go down.

i never said i had a problem with people doing stupid shit and getting caught. shit, i'd point and laugh at them. christ, i've done some pretty stupid shit drinking and looking back, im lucky i didnt get caught, (well lucky i only got caught once, even though i wasnt doing anything stupid that time) and id DESERVE it if i did. what i have a problem with is when these police go out of their way to fuck people over who werent really doing anything, like waiting outside a party for someone to walk out so they can cite them, or sitting by bars waiting to catch people. also, they go out of their way to stop you driving for any little thing and give out chickenshit tickets such as "left wheel to curb." i mean come on! how was i supposed to know i couldnt park that way? thats what i have a problem with.

Last edited:
My dad has struggled with alcoholism for a long time. When he is drinking, sometimes he'll be drinking morning, noon, and night. It seems JMS may drink too much when he does drink, but that doesn't make him an alcoholic.

Personally, I'm not a big drinker. If I do drink, it's a few wine coolers at most or a beer or two. I used to drink heavily when UI did go out and drink, but I don't because I just don't like it. And since I found out I'm a diabetic, I have to be careful about drinking.

But to each their own. :shrug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom