DON'T call me buddy, sweety, sweetheart.. unless.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
woops

that's what I love about this place.....feedback.
I can gain an insight and see different points of view, always a good thing.
I have noticed lately I am starting to call people "sweetheart" and "sweetie" and "dear" and the one that really worries me"LOVE"!!! I fear it's a creeping old age symptom.
I managed to break the "bugger me dead" habit after I had it pointed out to me:shocked: :tsk:
my new task : ban the "love"
I called my youngest son "bubby" up until he started high school. I consciously broke that habit...it can be done, eventually.

Someone here once said they liked the way Aussies call people "mate". I once said that to a girl about 3 years old. She very matter-of-factly told me "you are not my mate!"
speech habits and endearments
woops.
"got" has got to go too.

Well we have that kind of expressions here too.
I get the Slovene version of "sweety"/"honey" sometimes from older women (maybe it's because I look younger than my age) - and I don't mind. I take it as a kindness.

Mostly if people don't know me, they'll go with Slovene word for "miss" or "girl". Which is a-ok by me.
On the phone though, or via mail, I get the "maam" too! Which cracks me up as it's most often used for married or older women...

Ma'am has got to be the worst. :| I call people on it if they refer to me as ma'am. I don't care who they are I'll say "Who you callin' ma'am??!?"

But Jesse... I totally understand what you mean. You will come across many people in life who mean no harm by it, but I can see how it can be construed as disrespectful, or patronizing at times. I guess all that matters is that you know you aren't these people's sweety, or buddy you are Jesse and hell, kick their ass if they cross the line. :laugh: People seem to really adore you, so most of the time it's probably meant as a compliment. :)

:rolleyes: Being called Buddy by strangers has got to be tied with ma'am. That's a bad one.

:reject:
I call everyone sweetie, honey or buddy (buddy, mostly for little boys)

I do the Miss (first name) thing too

But I understand what you're saying Jesse. When I was little I had so many ear infections that the doctors were worried that I would lose my hearing. While undergoing the hearing testing, my parents told my teacher, and she made a big deal out of it. Put me in the front of the classroom, made sure to tell all the other kids that I had "special needs" and spoke REAL LOUD and slooooooooooowwwww to me. That's a confidence booster if ever there was one. :(

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
well i am called ma'am a lot and i refer to my female friends as Ms. Lee, Ms. Wendy, Ms. Teresa, Ms. Amy, etc. call me little Ms. Georgia Peach. haha.

hahaha..that reminds me. All my little kids at dance call me "Miss Janine" or "Miss Janine-ie." Originally it started because the dance school wanted to maintain a certain dregree of formaility between students and teachers, but even know that I don't teach, the name sticks. I'm 20, but I've been called that now since I was 12.

I like it when friends or even a random waitress (haha) calls me hun or sweetie, or whatever. But I never say stuff like that...and yeah, ma'am pisses me off. That just makes me feel like an old lady.

daisybean said:

But I understand what you're saying Jesse. When I was little I had so many ear infections that the doctors were worried that I would lose my hearing. While undergoing the hearing testing, my parents told my teacher, and she made a big deal out of it. Put me in the front of the classroom, made sure to tell all the other kids that I had "special needs" and spoke REAL LOUD and slooooooooooowwwww to me. That's a confidence booster if ever there was one. :(

OMG, I had lots of ear infections too when i was little too. and my 4th grade teacher was a bitch too, did stuff like your teacher did too.

:madspit: Mrs. Maier of Adelaide Elementary in Washington

maier.jpg

the bitch is still there :mad:

:madspit:

looks like we were in same boat.

The other day I was walking by some older teenagers (17 yrs or so) and they started calling me 'lady'... now I am onlyl 25, and I know that I look young for my age. It made me feel like I was an old woman now.

I do not like it when dirty construction workers call me sweety, or sweetheart as I walk by. It creeps me out.

lmao....Jesse, is that really your primary school teacher? She looks like she'd eat kids!

:lmao:

I dont care what people call me. We use terms of endearment regularly here and I guess its just the norm.

Angela Harlem said:
lmao....Jesse, is that really your primary school teacher? She looks like she'd eat kids!

:lmao:

I dont care what people call me. We use terms of endearment regularly here and I guess its just the norm.

yup, she was my 4th grade primary school teacher :slant: :mad:

i always wanted to replace her pic on the schools website with same pic but with devil horns added on. :macdevil:
yup, she'd eat kids, alright.

seems like every oz person i know from here is a teacher, u, cass, and manda; r all ozz women teachers? lol, jk :reject:

Back
Top Bottom