Does this make me a lesser fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4EVRU2

Acrobat
Before the Christmas break, I was becoming re-obsessed with U2 and coming to this site made it worse 'cos of all the personal band/Bono-meeting experiences I read and with the upcoming tour and all, but now, I'm back in school (I did not have access to a computer over the break but I wasn't worried) and I feel like not having this obsessive-band-worship going on is okay and if I can't buy all the latest U2 books, or special edition discs or DVDs then so what? I'm thirty-one and a mom, and now a student and my priorities are different, but does this mean I'm not as big a fan if I can't point to all the U2-related merchandise, or speak of my brushes with the boys as proof? Don't get me wrong, I still love them and will continue to forever (I hope) and I would die happily if I were to meet Bono, but I can't afford to buy all the U2 stuff out there and I sometimes feel I've given up some of that former hero-worship thing and I kind of want it back.

I buy very little U2 things apart from cd's. Any books I have are 2nd hand and my U2 vinyl was given to me by my uncle.

I don't feel any less of a fan because I don't spend hundreds of pounds on U2 things. I couldn't buy a U2 ipod without feeling guilty about it. I just don't have that much money to throw about.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I have all the Albums (and a few on vinyl from my Dad's old collection), and a few odd magazines/books that I get as gifts...

But I love U2 just as much as any fan who obsesses over the aquisition of all the merchandise. I don't think it's a bad thing to want all the U2 'stuff', but it doesn't make anyone a bigger fan by any means...

I don't really collect merchandise, if money was no object I would but of course it is. I'd love to be one of these people that bids 000's at auctions to get a piece of Bono's artworks, or whatever!

But no, not having a big merchandise collection doesn't in any way make you a lesser fan.

Nope, you no lesser a fan. There is no hierarchy of fans. You either are or you arent.

I would love to have all the bells and whistles too but its not gonna happen. Im just happy with my one copy of the album and if the band tour my home city then hopefully I will be able to afford to attend a concert :up:

Last edited:
What I am about to say has probably reached cliche status but it is still true. The views of what makes a true fan (or a bigger fan) are very subjective. For that reason they shouldn't really matter. If you consider yourself a huge fan, well then congratulations, you are! Being a fan does not mean that you should be like or outdo another fan. If you follow the band from city to city during the tour it should only because you want to. If you collect every single album and single out there it should only be because you truely love and want every single item. Although sites like Interference are a great source of friendship and information they're also a great source of bad influence. Sometimes we get caught up in our own greed (to put it bluntly). What truely matters is what moves you. What matters is the music. You don't need physical trophies to prove what sort of fan you are. You know who you are. You are your children's mama who so happens to enjoy U2. :hug: Cheers.

Being a fan doesn't mean you have to BUY all the things about U2, IMO.
I think it means you hve to enjoy their music and love what they do!

Thanks for the input-- I guess i do suffer from the green-eyed monster when it comes to hearing about this person's collection or that person's meeting the band, and I just get "obsessed" thinking about these things sometimes!:(

Oh, my goodness, there are a gazillion U2 things that I haven't bought. I can't afford the ipod, and I'm a computer klutz anyway. There are U2 books I don't have. I have entirely too many books anyway. :wink: It doesn't reflect on how good a fan you are or whatever.

Enjoying the music is all that matters. Remember also, on the internet it is easy to... (how can I put this without offending anyone?)... embellish things.

lady luck said:
Being a fan doesn't mean you have to BUY all the things about U2, IMO.
I think it means you hve to enjoy their music and love what they do!

:up: I agree with lady luck. I've always hated the idea of one's U2 fanaticism being measured by how much a person can spend on iPods, books, deluxe edition CD's and DVD's, concert tickets, or plane tickets for that matter. If this were the case, it would mean that the so-called "biggest" fans would just be the people with the most disposable income. :down:

Do you get goosebumps when you hear the intro to "Streets"? Do you crank up the volume when you hear a U2 song on the radio? Do you sing U2 songs loudly and out of tune in the car? In the shower? On the street? :huh: (Maybe that's just me! :wink: )
Then you're a fan, plain and simple!

Hero-worship is overrated. There will always be some completist out there who will want to make you feel "this" big because he has every single thing that U2 ever put out, including a copy of the U2-3 EP autographed by the band when he saw them back in '78, or whatever. :rolleyes:
Just think about your beautiful children and remind yourself that investing in them is worth a lot more than investing in a rock band. It's nothing that you need to justify - I think Bono and the boys would want it that way.

Cleasai said:
What I am about to say has probably reached cliche status but it is still true. The views of what makes a true fan (or a bigger fan) are very subjective. For that reason they shouldn't really matter. If you consider yourself a huge fan, well then congratulations, you are! Being a fan does not mean that you should be like or outdo another fan. If you follow the band from city to city during the tour it should only because you want to. If you collect every single album and single out there it should only be because you truely love and want every single item. Although sites like Interference are a great source of friendship and information they're also a great source of bad influence. Sometimes we get caught up in our own greed (to put it bluntly). What truely matters is what moves you. What matters is the music. You don't need physical trophies to prove what sort of fan you are. You know who you are. You are your children's mama who so happens to enjoy U2. :hug: Cheers.

Yea, what he said....
also, outta sight... outta mind, you know.
Kinda reminds me of someone............
Jase drifts off into lala land

u2granny said:
Enjoying the music is all that matters. Remember also, on the internet it is easy to... (how can I put this without offending anyone?)... embellish things.
true, true. i could say i've got the complete U2 as well as the U2 ipod. even if i post a picture of it, i may not have the ipod. even if i took a picture of me holding it up in front of me, maybe it's photoshopped in?

I think that it's how strongly you love&feel about U2 in your heart that makes you a big fan. I totally agree that spending tons of cash doesn't make you a bigger fan - yes it's if you are really into your music. That is truly what matters. That's what it's about.
I buy as much as i can afford but i know i can call myself a big fan 'cos i've always been faithful to U2&never tire of listening to them. U2 will always be loved by the fans YAY!

Yep totallyall about the music. I wouldn't spend loads on U2 stuff (unless I was rich!) I do own a lot of books but the only one that I bought new was the Best of Propaganda one (and I nearly didnt pay 15quid for that)

A lot of my U2 stuff has been collected over the years and people have bought 2nd hand books, videos, magazines etc. I think its more fun that way also, cos when you find something for a bargin it makes you feel good! :up:

beli said:
Nope, you no lesser a fan. There is no hierarchy of fans. You either are or you arent.

yeah that. :up:

We're all fans here, (well I wonder about a couple of folks :der: ) our love of the music is what matters. blahblahblah who's a "real fan" etc etc :blahblah: :crazy:

As far as having a big collection or whatever I guess I have a pretty big bootleg collection. I didn't pay for any of it and I try to make an effort every day to be sharing that with other fans. I wouldn't even care about having this stuff if I couldn't share it.

Ah the obsessions. I know this area well. :ohmy: I'm a U2 fan but not obsessed. I have their CD's and that's it. My Ipod is a mini and no more.

I had an obsession for a TV show that involved collecting DVD's, bootleg tapes, visiting sets, going to charity gigs and following the stars. Looking back it was fun but a *huge* expense. I also discovered that there was a hierarchy and it was about more than just loving the programme. Who you met and how, gained you a certain fame in the fandom. :slant:

So I've done the obsessed bit. This place seems a bit more restrained and liking the music is all that matters. The rest is just a bonus. :happy:

Last edited:
Thanks for the input... appreciate it. Part of why I asked was 'cos Oprah was using this "Are you the biggest, most extreme fan ever?" for a topic for a future show and it asked for videotape or pictures, a.k.a evidence of your fandom? (sp?) and I thought if only I could get a chance to meet U2 through Oprah, blah, blah, but proving I'm a big fan? could be tricky. so I basically gave up that idea...
sort of.:hmm:

yep i'd have to agree that as long as you love and enjoy their music - that's all you really need, right?

i don't have everything either. however i love them so much - too much i think sometimes. they are incredible. they've moved me in ways no other band has before... i could go on, but i won't, hee.

No, I don't think so at all. I don't own much in the line of rare stuff (a few singles and a couple of bootlegs) and that doesn't make me any less of a fan.

Back
Top Bottom