Does racism still exist?....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MissVelvetDress_75 said:

anyway, i have been called a 'spic' on the streets and have been denied service at a resturant because of what i look like. i have dated guys who were too scared to take me home and introduce me to their parents because they were ashamed of my culture. i know this is why i have a problem with dating. i have only dated one latin and the rest have been white and out of all the ones i dated only one took me home to meet his family and friends and that was the latin guy. oh well maybe one day i will meet a guy who will not have issues with my culture and not be too ashamed to introduce me to his family.

:down: That's stupid. :mad: You're too good for them anyway. :hug:

I'm confused .. :scratch:

It sounded like deep was being sarcastic to his friend and actually ridiculing him for making that statement.. am I missing something? Maybe I'm not reading it right...

Sicy thanks,

I guess you can not hear the tone of my voice.

I really made him feel like an ass.

Once he heard me he did not defend what he said.
He realized how stupid it was.

I tell the story in front of him now to embarrass him.
He is still paying for it.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Deep,
i don't appreciate that story.

I am sorry it bothered you.
What happened to your grand parents is despicable. This thread has been frustrating to me. I have strong feelings about racism. Many white people minimize it or dismiss it. The lake of empathy really upsets me.

I have experienced racism in some form, although I won't classify it as such. I'm Japanese, I was born in Japan to Japanese parents, but I have lived in Singapore 13 out of my 15 years. Singapore is a very predominantly Chinese country. Until people see my name, most of them think I'm Chinese. Growing up here, I speak like a local. The thing is, back in World War II, the Japanese occupied Singapore and committed many horrible atrocities. I have to take quite a bit of stick, especially during World War II lessons. People call me names and stuff, and I find it insulting because Singapore has always been my home, and it is not my fault people born fifty years before me did wrong (albeit terrible wrong). Even my little brother ran into some trouble in his school after some students insulted our dad's name. I don't know whether it counts as racism, but it's pretty hurting all the same.

Generalisations on the whole, I count as racism. Its ignorant and wrong. Lumping any group just annoys the hell out of me.

I should take Miss velvet's lead and just stay outta this thread.
:-s

Ok since this thread seems to be upsetting people we'll just move onto something else.

Brooke maybe you should start your own marriage/pregnancy thread? :sexywink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom