Dentist, root canals, payments, oh my...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
So I have to get two root canals. I'm still basically an old poor college student with really bad insurance and barely enough money. I know this is pretty subjective and based on whatever your local dentist feels like doing, but I need to set up some kind of payment plan. I have two temp fillings right now and what I want to do is put a chunk of money down now and then make small payments to add to that til my appt comes. Hopefully I can wait til the end of the semester to build up funds and then get one of the root canals done and then repeat that process. I'm pretty sure my insurance won't cover any of this anyway, so I'm on my own to figure out how to pay the 4K worth of dental crap on my own. Does my plan sound reasonable to you? Any suggestions? I :sad: when they gave me the estimate and money always stresses me out, so any help would be appreciated. I'd give you my address for donations too. ;)

Define the problem: calrityat3am needs to get two root canals, but doesn't know how to pay for them.

Is it actionable? Yes

What is the next action?

1. clarityat3am needs to call his insurance company to determine how much, if any they will pay for the procedure, and if he does not know how much it costs yet, he needs to determine that. Using these numbers, clarityat3am needs to figure out how much it will cost him out of pocket.

2. clarityat3am needs to acquire the money to pay this difference. This is a seperate project, that we can plan later after clarityat3am does step 1.

Wow. That's all...technical like. :crack:

I'm just trying to plan for what will probably turn out to be my biggest expense this year. So...yeah...

Oh, and I'm a "she". :flirt:

Oh whoops, about the gender thing...:eek:

Yeah, it's technical, but I found it helps when you really need to figure out how to do stuff. By writing it down and making it look technical, it becomes less scary. Basically, I think if/when you call your insurance company, and have a solid figure as to what you need to pay, you will feel more in control.

Money and having big expenses to pay off isn't fun. Especially when it's something like a root canal...:eek::hug:

Ive never had one of those. If I were in your shoes I would actually be quaking in my boots about going to the dentist where they have all those long needles than the money :lol:
Im the biggest wuss about dentists. Ive gone in for 2 cavities so far and it was horrible. PLus the fillings fell out and I havent gone back :reject:
Bastard dentist :grumpy:

Im sorry that you have to pay an arm and a leg to have something done to you on the scale of chinese torture methods :(

My fillings fell out too. Those are the teeth I'm having the root canals on. GO TO THE DENTIST ASAP. Seriously.

now I have a dentist plan so I sort of have to go :madspit:
I know....I should listen since it will only get worse. Thankfully Im across the country from the dentist that tortured me to begin with. I think Im going to ask to be knocked out :hmm:

clarityat3am said:
My fillings fell out too. Those are the teeth I'm having the root canals on. GO TO THE DENTIST ASAP. Seriously.

Make sure you are POSITIVE a root canal is the only option.

I had/have a similar situation - my molars are really deep, so prone to cavities. When I was young, I had them all sealed, but those seals only last 10 years at best. We've never had ANY dental insurance coverage and a few years after my molars were sealed, I stopped going to the dentist, even for cleanings, because my brother broke his arm and my sister needed her appendix out, so we cut dental care to cut costs. During that time, all my sealants wore off and since I drink a lot of soda I got a bunch of cavities. My pediatric dentist insisted I needed a bunch of root canals. I was 17 then so my mom switched me to her adult dentist and he said that root canals were a rip off and not necessary yet. Instead, he's filled them in and even gives me discounts when he can. Granted, there's still a chance I might have an abcess later on in life, but later on in life I won't already be $50,000 in the hole with zero coverage! It's hard to tell whether you're getting ripped off or not, but some dentists will pitch what they say is the "best" option because it requires the most amount of work for them. My pediatric dentist also insisted I neede braces for my bottom front teeth, which are crooked, but the other dentist said no way b/c you can't even see these teeth and there's no long term problems since all my teeth are in a fit in my mouth. My dentist now is really good about doing the most effective work at the lowest cost. I even convinced him to pull a wisdom tooth, which is a procedure that is less expensive and more simple than a routine filling, that otherwise would've cost thousands of dollars to the oral surgeon.

That's my thread! :happy: Ah, crap, what am I saying? I'm still too petrified to go back. And too poor. Or just refusing to give them the next payment on their BMW. Actually, truth is, I'm planning on going to England in October and that sounds like a much better way to part with cash than giving it to some grubby creepy dentist.

Bloody teeth. They shit me.
:grumpy:

I think it's time you take a trip to Mexico. Dental work is really cheap, and if you wanted my parents could recommened you a really good dentist, cheap, and honest. Good luck

I went to the dentist the other day, cost nearly an arm and a leg just for a checkup. He said I have to get my wisdom teeth removed :mad: .

My molars have really deep grooves and sometimes get really sensitive, I'm awlays wary when I go to the dentist that he's gonna tell me I need fillings or something in them :yikes:.

Im sorry Clarity I can completely understand about the financial situation you are in :hug: Have to go for a routine cleaning but need to find a new dentist. Was going to one who was somewhat reasonable but she closed shop. Didn't take payment plans though so couldn't get fillings done :madspit: Terrified of what I will be told when I go for my cleaning. It's downright outrageous with what some of these dentists charge! I would make sure too that root canals are your only option. Could always be something else cheaper that could be performed and be just as effective.

I think I may go to another dentist for another opinion, but that would mean taking out these temp fillings and I'm sure they'd charge me a million dollars for that too. Teeth issues make me :grumpy: I'm going to cancel the other appt they set up for me to. They wanted to do a "fine scaling" or whatever to clean my teeth some more. Granted, they spent forver cleaning them, but I don't want to rack up more expense and I think what they did is sufficient for the time being.

Ahhh gotta love it when they tell you to come back for more of a cleaning! I got ripped with that one the dentist didn't finish the cleaning made me come back in another 3 months. Charged me the full price for another cleaning too! Mind you she spent maybe 15 minutes total for that visit?

Good luck I hope you are able to get your situtation all taken care of. Maybe someday dentists will realize that not everyone is made of money or has great dental insurance.

Alot of times you can go to denistry schools and they give awesome care for a fraction of the price. I used to go to the Harvard Dentist school and it was awesome. The instructor is always right there.

My husband went to the dentist yesterday and has 3 cavities and possibly needs a root canal. The tooth is chipped and causes him alot of pain, so the dentist is going to try to replace the chip and see if that helps. If it does, he won't need a root canal, yet. Maybe you could ask about something like that. I don't know anything about root canals because I've never had one. I went to the dentist last Friday and he said I probably will never get any cavities!!!

I was given a lot of fluoride as a kid. It acutally turned my front teeth yellow, but I had them redone. I brush two to three times a day and try to floss everyday. That's about it.

clarity, i feel your pain.

while i've not yet needed any root canals, my teeth are (were) in shit condition!

I just spent S$450 to have 10 fillings the other day!! Yes, you read correctly, 10 :censored: fillings in one visit!

Don't ask me how the :censored: I managed to get 10 cavities--i brush 2x a day, gargle with fluoride mouthwash, avoid most sugary food & drink and floss (occassionaly). the one thing i failed to do was to have a check-up & cleaning performed over a 3-year span (i was pregnant and lazy).

On top of this, my dentist informed me that I need to have one of my wisdom teeth removed, as it's impacted and beginning to decay. :censored:, :censored:, :censored:

I brush 2-3 times a day,floss daily,use Listerine,cut out sugary foods and drinks. Plus I chew Trident gum when Im not able to brush my teeth right away after eating. However,I made the fatal mistake of being addicted to that damn Mt Dew when I was younger. Man the stupid things we do when we are young,lol. Have vowed that once my fillings are done than Im not going back down that road again!

Wish me luck Im calling around next week to different dentists to see if I can find a reasonable one!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom