Cursing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll say B, but it's very rare (maybe one word every four months) and never directed at anyone. I didn't swear at all until I was 18.

I don't think "bloody" counts, though.

Maybe you should talk to this mate of us, named StormierZiggy. I'm sure he doesn't understand why people hate that word as well since he used in about each of his posts.

Um yah, calling people that around here will get you banned pretty fast.

C.
I say 'shit' very often, but I mostly swear in Dutch. That involves a lot of bodyparts (kut, that's the c word) and diseases (tyfus, tering, kolere/ klere, kanker). I never swear with the word 'kanker' (cancer), though, that's too rude!

We also have a 'dutchification' for the f word, so we say 'fok' and 'fokking'. The rest sounds something like this: Godverdomme tyfus tering kut hoerenzooi!

By the way, who wants a Dutch course in swearing? :hyper:

Or... could I get banned for that? :reject:

I have never used such language.

I...*cough*...believe you! :wink:

This is the most civilised, classy discussion I've ever heard to discuss swearing :lol:

Maybe you should talk to this mate of us, named StormierZiggy. I'm sure he doesn't understand why people hate that word as well since he used in about each of his posts.

I tried to get onto him, but just got his voicemail. He said something he was busy sleeping with lasses.

Well I never heard an American use disease other then "you're like the fucking plague" or "I hope you get fucking aids you asshole":huh: I heard that in school once something along those lines

I'm a mix of a C and a D depends on my mood, I have a sailors mouth as my Dad says but it's mostly that my mouth has a mind of it's own I can't control it at times.

The older I get the worst it gets I use to be one of those people that would get highly offended by cuss words cause I was highly realgouis but that has sure changed a lot the past couple of years:reject:

I'm about a B. I've never really been fond of curse words, which is rather unusual for a teenager like me. The only times when I curse is when I am extremely aggravated and/or very annoyed, but later i'd feel pretty guilty about it. It might be because my parents don't really curse much at all, they've admitted it anyway and luckily I do not know any curse words in my native language. Often I use words such as 'damn, crap, bloody' but I don't classify them as real curse words, I occasionally use 'shit' but that's usually when i'm trying to express a feeling.

I've never used the c-word or m-fer and have never dared to write/type the f-word. :reject:

I also strongly despise excessive and pointless swearing, but I have learnt to get used to it at school. But I still despise it nonetheless. :down:

Definitely C. I curse quite a bit, but I do filter it, and usually have a decent enough handle on when to do so.

To me cunt is not really a curse word, just something really classless to say. I'd rather hear some creative cursing!

Yes, this. I'm not sure I've ever used that word in my life, certainly not in public.

I'm curious too! I can't imagine an American saying: "You fuckers can all get the typhus!" :hyper:
It's funny how often ideas about which curses are the "worst" seem all out of proportion to their literal meanings. We don't use disease curses here, but we do have for example (and maybe you do too) the fairly common retort "Go to hell," which most Americans would consider mild enough to be more an insult than 'real' cursing. But if you take it literally, the sentiment behind it is actually pretty horrendous..."Not only do I hope you die right now, I also wish you eternal torment in the afterlife."

I'd be a C by the OP's description--I rarely curse directly at people, but cursing about situations, that I do fairly often in front of people I know.

When I was in second grade I got into an 'incident' at recess where I grabbed a rock, walked up to a much older bully who was doing 'Indian rope burn' on one of my friends to make her fall from the tree she was climbing in, and started clobbering him over the head with the rock. He turned around and wailed, "Ow, what are you doing you little brat!" or something like that, and I yelled back "Go fuck yourself!" Of course, when one of the teachers walked over, he then made a show of being all boo-hoo blubbery and tried to act like he hadn't been doing anything wrong. :rolleyes: We both wound up in detention for the rest of the day--me because "you used a bad word," and they even called my mother to protest my language. When my father heard about it, he marched over to the principal's office and said, Let me get this straight--you're not worried if one child beats another child over the head with a rock, but you DO care if they use one curse word in a situation where almost any adult would curse too? The principal was pretty taken aback by that lol.

Last edited:
It's funny how often ideas about which curses are the "worst" seem all out of proportion to their literal meanings. We don't use disease curses here, but we do have for example (and maybe you do too) the fairly common retort "Go to hell," which most Americans would consider mild enough to be more an insult than 'real' cursing. But if you take it literally, the sentiment behind it is actually pretty horrendous..."Not only do I hope you die right now, I also wish you eternal torment in the afterlife."

:lol: Hmm... In light of this I guess I'll have to make sure to use "Go to Hell" more often. :wink: :D

When I was in second grade I got into an 'incident' at recess where I grabbed a rock, walked up to a much older bully who was doing 'Indian rope burn' on one of my friends to make her fall from the tree she was climbing in, and started clobbering him over the head with the rock. He turned around and wailed, "Ow, what are you doing you little brat!" or something like that, and I yelled back "Go fuck yourself!" Of course, when one of the teachers walked over, he then made a show of being all boo-hoo blubbery and tried to act like he hadn't been doing anything wrong. :rolleyes: We both wound up in detention for the rest of the day--me because "you used a bad word," and they even called my mother to protest my language. When my father heard about it, he marched over to the principal's office and said, Let me get this straight--you're not worried if one child beats another child over the head with a rock, but you DO care if they use one curse word in a situation where almost any adult would curse too? The principal was pretty taken aback by that lol.

You little heller! :up:

When your dad said that, were you thinking "shut up, dad! I don't need to get into any more trouble!"? I probably would have been... :reject: It is pretty amazing you got in trouble for cursing, but not bashing the other kid with a rock. Just shows the awesome power of fuck! :D

I think some curses are a cultural thing. In Holland, wishing someone a disease is the worst thing you can do, especially when cancer is used in a curse.
In countries like Spain for expample, if a curse starts with 'your mother..' that's the worst you can say. Most Dutch people don't curse with 'your mother', except people who are originally from the Antilles, Surinam, Turkey and Morocco.

Principals!:tsk: It's crazy how they measure with two standards. I was in a Christian high school and if one of the teachers would catch you using the c word, they just told you that you had a bad mouth. But if you used the 'damnit' word with 'God-' put in front of it, you could get detention.

When your dad said that, were you thinking "shut up, dad! I don't need to get into any more trouble!"? I probably would have been... :reject:
More like "Pffffftt...figures :rolleyes: ," because it was just the kind of thing my father would do. I don't think I got into any more trouble at school on account of it, but my father did march me over to the kid's house afterwards to apologize. His parents were total rednecks (which also figures) who just sat there glowering at us in the usual sullen way, with a hint of contemptuous smirk at the absurdity of our behavior (after we left my father said, "Did you see how his parents don't even care? That's why that boy is a bully"). My father couldn't very well have agreed with the principal on the swearing thing anyway, since he swore profusely himself whenever he lost his temper at something, which was a fairly common occurrence, so I'd learned most all the curse words I knew from him. :lol:

So you don't just yell out a disease, it's used like "I hope you get ---- and die!" sort of thing? I guess I just can't picture someone saying "Oh cancer!" when spilling coffee on the way to a job interview like I'd say "Oh fuck!"

have any of you heard kids, and I mean like UNDER TEN YEARS OLD, use heavy swear words? like fuk, etc...:ohmy:

Ive heard under that age use the classless 'C' word! :down:
I suppose, it could be the parents they have, what they are growing up with but honestly, it seems completely wrong to hear!

have any of you heard kids, and I mean like UNDER TEN YEARS OLD, use heavy swear words? like fuk, etc...:ohmy:

Ive heard under that age use the classless 'C' word! :down:
I suppose, it could be the parents they have, what they are growing up with but honestly, it seems completely wrong to hear!

They must have learned that from the parents! I swear a lot, but not with kids around. When I hear kids using the heavy swearwords, I'm always shocked!:ohmy:

Parents or anyone else. Kids pick up especially such words very quickly. They just need it to hear it anywhere, then some kid uses it and it spreads.

Back
Top Bottom