Confidence, getting the balls up, biting the bullet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
How do you go about taking a plunge? Facing a fear, not so much a phobia or anything, but something that causes your insides to bundle up with nerves and actually getting to the point where you suck it up and do it anyway? Nervous fear can be crippling and in many cases is probably rather unhealthy. Like for instance being afraid of public speaking and finding you have to speak infront of a large audience. It is a fear that we shouldn't let rule our lives I dont think, which is a lovely brave sentiment but sometimes deemed impossible to overcome.
Anyone ever faced something like this? I'm not actually speaking in public, it was just an example lol, but I'm curious as to some possible ways of overcoming it.

I just go for something even if I am afraid of it :shrug: Carpe Diem.

:drool:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
frankly... ya just do it, and then worry about the consequences later

Heh....Im gonna remind you of this on Nov 28th:wink:

my only rule is no tequila... i used to dable in the fine mexican enjoyment often enough... then came my brother-in-law's bachelor party, where that was the shot of choice for the night... that was... eh... early spring 2000 i do believe. i think i've had tequila once in the three 1/2 years since. :shrug:

bring it on

my only rule is no tequila... i used to dable in the fine mexican enjoyment often enough... then came my brother-in-law's bachelor party, where that was the shot of choice for the night... that was... eh... early spring 2000 i do believe. i think i've had tequila once in the three 1/2 years since. :shrug:

bring it on

Deal...Southern Comfort or Jack Daniels?

(sorry....I think I hijacked this thread...carry on...)

i'm setting myself up for trouble here...

would the moron who scheduled a 2-a-day practice for the morning of the 29th please stand up...

(stands up)

that's right

Well...you're just gonna haveta cancel that, arent ya??

Being a people pleaser for most of my life, and for other personal reasons, I've always had fear of confrontations w/ people, of telling them exactly what I think of them. Also of confronting them about their behavior, etc. I guess it's easier to just ignore things, or to become a more solitary, introspective person. Rise above it all, or something like that.

I know I had a fear of flying, until while in my early 20's I went on my first flight, 6 + hours overseas. Taking trips by myself to places I've never been before is a little boost too.

I don't know why I'm answering this thread, because in many ways fear does rule my life :|

Whatever the situation, all you can do is your best, and maybe pray

I'm a massive worrier, over-analyzer, and blow things out of proportion...er. :reject: I usually have a fit, cry, get frustrated, threaten to give up, etc., then do whatever it is I said I wouldn't do. :reject: Usually, this happens when I'm all stroppy around someone I know and they try to talk me down and I get surlier and more stubborn and they finally say "Fine, don't do it then" and then I get all sad for making them angry and guilt myself into doing it. Reverse psychology (even self-inflicted) works wonders on me. :reject:

Try thinking about a brave act that you really admire, and use that image to give you courage. I'm sure that the person who inspired you would be glad to have been a help.

I tend to REALLY psych myself out about things I don't want to do or I know are going to be really difficult. One thing that sometimes helps me, though, is to rationally think through why I'm afraid or nervous. And I think of the worst thing that could happen if I screw it up. And even with stuff that seems hugely important at the time (like speaking in front of a crowd, which I HATE), I realize that nothing truly awful will happen even if it goes as poorly as it possibly could. Usually it boils down to "well...then I'd be embarrassed" which ultimately isn't that huge of a deal. In general, all that I'd sacrifice is a little dignity and, on a more basic level, even if I totally and utterly fuck up whatever I'm doing, I'd still have friends and family who care about me. This never totally relieves my anxiety. Most of the time my brain keeps on being anxious in spite of this, but it can help relax me enough so I can actually do what I need to do.

Wow, you guys have helped a lot lol. I've now got a plan which will be a bit of all the things you guys do. I cant get rid of the fear, but staying focused will surely help.
Ugh, if all else fails I will do an ostrich and stick my head in the sand and plead ignorance til its over lol.
Thanks guys :)

It's funny you post this today, becuase last night I had a major meltdown about the course of my life triggered by an intense discussion with my parents, which was triggered because my grad courses were going to be about $1400 more than I anticipated. :ohmy: And I mean, like, we talked about everything (money, the job i have now and dislike, prospects, my horrible apartment, my boyfriend, how he lives 3000 miles away, and every possible unknown and then some). Needless to say I hung up a freaking wreck. (haha when I first wrote this sentance I wrote "i hung a freaking wreck" :lol: )

AND after talking with a very dear and trusted friend of mine, and calling my boyfriend in the middle of the night (heh :slant: ) and sleeping on it all, I've calmed down a lot and am reminded myself of something I always knew but sometimes forget: You can't control everything!! Things WILL work out, and if you strive for goodness, goodness WILL prevail. I really believe that. So, my long-winded advice can be whittled down to: try not to worry too much. Maybe that's just advice to myself...

:)

Back
Top Bottom