Cats - Move if Needed, I'm unsure where to post it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amigone said:
Dont' you think I've tried to think of every viable option? We are moving to a place where we're already a cat over the limit, we're lucky that the dog is a working dog or my partner wouldn't be able to keep him, and it's carpeted.

If he didn't mess, and wasnt' skinny as a rail, and missing jumps/walking into walls, was completely healthy, we probalby wouldn't be able to keep him anyways.

As it stands, I have to try to do what is best for myself, and for the kitty. I have to get out of this illegal suite before I end up on the streets. I am moving to a trailer park where I will rent a mobile home.

If kitty is sent to the shelter, he will be euthanized. They told me straight out. I thought I was doing the right thing by trying to be there for him, so that he wont' be scared. He's such a clingy guy to me and my partner, he'd be traumatized to be left alone.

If you can think of a viable alternative, please let me know. I would give anything to spare his life, but I dont' think there is any other option. I've racked my brain, called every, and I mean every animal rescue foundation in this province. No one can do anything for me.

Is the right thing to let him go with dignity surrounded by love, or to abandon him at the SPCA?

If those are your only two options, than the right thing is to let him go with dignity, of course. My only suggestion is what I said before, to fight the owners on this. It's not right what they did. Assuming you know how to contact them via phone or in person or whatever, I'd yell at them and tell them how wrong what they are doing is and tell them they're just plain pricks if they're gonna let this happen. Maybe if you go at the owner with enough fury and emotion, he/she would either take the cat back or fund a visit to the vet's. And if not, at least, hopefully, you'll have ensured that the owner feels *this much* guilt for what he/she did.

The owner actually, just now, donated a small amount in order to have him euthanized.

If they were to take him back, they would put him at the SPCA. I don't want him to go alone.

Well, then, good luck with it all. I hope he goes peacefully.

I have a cat of my own, whom I love to death, and I can't imagine watching a vet euthanize her.

Just be thankful - if at all possible in this situation - that you don't have more of an emotional attatchment to him.

Good luck.

Thank you. So do I.

I'm already attatched to the little bugger, I've been in tears since I got home from work for the past few days. It's really doing a number on me.

I was there when we put down my kitty of 16 years, two years ago, and that was hard. He was sooo sick though.

Amigone said:
this poor cat who is not wanted by the woman who cared for him for 11.5 years

This makes me irate. How can people just give their animals away after having them for 11 years?? Any amount of years! My cats are like my children, I could never give them away, ever.

I know this must be very hard for you.
I am glad you decided not to just drop him off at a shelter. He should be with loved ones. Please know that there are a lot of people here that you can talk to about this and come to for support. :hug:

If you dont mind I am going to move this thread to Zoo Confessionals as it is a better forum for personal issues/support, etc.

Thank you Sicy.

I have debated with myself... I can keep him in the bathroom! It dosen't matter if he pees and poops there, becuase it's lino.

But then, what kind of life is that, right? He would never lie in the sun again... There's the "what if" he could get a new owner if I jsut waited a little bit longer.

Well you have ads out right? You could wait until you absolutely have to. Maybe someone will respond before then.

Amigone!
I'm still here for you,have not forgotten about you!
Since the owner has come forward with the cash,you have to get the owner to take the cat to get euthanised,you do not have to be there! You don't need no more stress by the sound of it! This owner really needs to pull his/her finger out!!

fly so high! said:
Amigone!
I'm still here for you,have not forgotten about you!
Since the owner has come forward with the cash,you have to get the owner to take the cat to get euthanised,you do not have to be there! You don't need no more stress by the sound of it! This owner really needs to pull his/her finger out!!

She came forward with $10 of it, the rest has been from other donors.

She will not take the cat to be euthanized, and has said as much. If she is involved, then she will send her husband to pick him up, and drop him off at the SPCA to be euthanized.

So, this leaves me and my partner to do the deed, as it were. We are stepping up so that he won't be by himself when he goes. I'm going to make sure that this kitty knows that he is loved until the very end.

Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts. If you can, send osme positive energy my way, I definately need it, and so does kitty!

You're welcome. Hmm... I'll let you know if I think of others but that is the most popular one.

What a shit of an owner and what a poor kitty. Things like this make me so angry. I hope someone takes revenge on this fucker. Blow up his fucking house or something so he can go to live in the SPCA. :angry:

Amigone sorry you have to go thru this. And I´m even more sorry for the kittykat.

Like you said, maybe it is possible to keep it in the bathroom for a couple of weeks and see if you can find someone who takes it.

He needs a home where he can safely live outdoors.Then the mess wouldn't be a problem. Maybe a farm with a barn? Sounds a lot more fun than dying IMO.

It sounds like he has other medical issues that are causing him to do that, though. I don't think outside would be a good place for him in his condition. :shrug:

I think it would be better for him to be humanely euthanized than to suffer from whatever is wrong with him outdoors untreated.

Are you sure there are medical reasons for the litter accidents or is this just an assumption? Sometimes animals just aren't well trained.

Bonofire said:
Are you sure there are medical reasons for the litter accidents or is this just an assumption? Sometimes animals just aren't well trained.

Originally posted by Amigone
Now that the owner has bailed, we are left with an old cat who is skinny as a rail, meows all the time, chews his hair out, and seems generally unhappy unless either my partner or myself is holding him.

Bonofire said:

How many elderly cats have you seen that are thin as a rail, pee and poo all over, and chew their own hair out simply b/c of poor "training"? :huh: Cats don't need to be trained to use a litter box, they just do. Either their mom teaches them (when they are only like 4-5 weeks sometimes), or if they're orphaned you drop them in the box once, and they've got it. They're not like dogs who have to be housebroken. The cat is almost 12. Even if he LOOKED fine and used the litter, I'd be surpised if he was perfectly healthy.

The bottom line is, if no one is willing to/can afford proper treatment, the cat should be euthanized. Putting it outside is inhumane, not to mention puts a number of other animals and people at risk. He's suffered so much already, it's not fair to keep him alive just to prove a point (that he is loved and the owner is full of shite).

Do you have any "animal cops" or an animal control dept. in Calgary? If so, call them and pursue action against the owner. This shouldn't be your burden or your decision to make in the first place.

Cats are extremely well trained when it comes to the litterbox. They dont usually pee outside the box unless they have a medical condition such as UTI. Sometimes it *can* be a behavioral problem, but given the facts about his other 'problems' it is more likely it is a medical problem. If a vet check clears the cat from UTI or other medical condition then it very well can be a behavioral problem.

The poor thing sounds like it's psychologically disturbed from being abandoned. The fact that it wants somebody to hold it shows that it's desperate for love and wants so much to feel secure. It breaks my heart to think this poor creature is going to be killed. I don't want to talk about it anymore. :sad:

If it's chewing it's own hair out, it probably has some skin condition or infection. I'm not as familiar w/ cat problems than dog or guinea pig, but dogs and guinea pigs can get mange, or mites. Both times it itches and they will chew and scratch for relief...until the hair is gone and there's just scabs. :(

Bottom line....kitty needs a vet, like yesterday. An elderly cat should see a vet once or twice a year even without any obvious medical problems.

Something the owner said to me today on MSN:

After hearing how bad he's gotten I really do agree that this is the best thing for him. I'm just glad you raised the money so he won't be alone.

Harley has had a really good life, maybe not 20 years like some cats, but I never imagined he'd ever live that long anyways.

Matter of fact, when i first got him, I wondered if i'd get 5 years out of him. Harley was the runt of the litter, I picked him because at the pet store all the other kittens were beating him up. He was never the healthiest cat. Between undecended testicles, eating Tinsel, burning his whiskers off on a candle, eating string, eating an old roomate's "stash" and crystals in his urine it's wonder he made it as long as he did!

You guys are making the right decision, and although it's sad i'm sort of happy in a way too, because i know he won't suffer anymore.

I hope you can see it my way, and don't be too sad. Not many gets get to live in *2* such loving households.

I guess she understands what's going on. She will be coming with us on Wednesday to put him to sleep.

I was very pissed off that she wouldn't take him back, but she explained that she just can't. And after what she told me, I guess I can accept that.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
If it's chewing it's own hair out, it probably has some skin condition or infection. I'm not as familiar w/ cat problems than dog or guinea pig, but dogs and guinea pigs can get mange, or mites. Both times it itches and they will chew and scratch for relief...until the hair is gone and there's just scabs. :(

Bottom line....kitty needs a vet, like yesterday. An elderly cat should see a vet once or twice a year even without any obvious medical problems.

Off topic, but you raise cavies too? I have 5 (but only purchased three, one was pregnant when we got her.

Sounds like Harley's life was one of miracles. What a shame to toss all that so easily. After all he's been through it seems he was meant to live. How could the owner not care? I don't understand it.

What exactly is wrong with the cat, a skin disorder and a litter box problem? Is that all?

the cat has no where to live. No shelter will take him. We cannot take him. They cannot take him back.

What we've come to, collectively is taht he will be euthanized so that she dosen't have to suffer.

Back
Top Bottom