Career crisis. -__-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
So. Ive never really known for sure what to do with my life (apart from being a rockstar. Duh. :wink: ).

But now I'm seriously considering nursing. Cos I figure, I have an interest in biology, medical things, and I like to fix stuff.

But, I dont know what its like to "do". I can get work experience though a nursing bank, but if I dont like it, what do I do then? I have no idea what Id want to do. :huh: I have a strong interest in music but Im not musically skilled to do it on a professional level, and another subject that interests me, languages, I cant do at degree level because I dont have the necessary qualifications.

I couldnt do biology at uni, cos I can barely keep up with my current course. T__T

Gah. I hope I like nursing. :/ I also hope I dont get bored with it halfway though. :lol:

Anyone else having a crisis?

I'm graduating in May, and I need to start looking for a job now. I'm crossing my fingers hoping I can get at least an internship/lower level staff job on Capitol Hill, but it's kind of daunting to know that in a matter of months I will be out of my parents' nest and on my own. We all gotta grow up some time.

You could nurse full time, and do music on the side.

Does your school have a career counselor? If so, meet with it. That helped me figure out what to major in when I was in college.

Yeah, Ive seen careers advisors, but they cant really help much unless you actually know what you want to do.

I spend 2 hours on a careers help website where you answer questions and it suggests careers. It didnt help. :|

Its quite difficult, as you cant (generally) do a degree in something unless you have the relevent A-Levels.

Yeah, Ive seen careers advisors, but they cant really help much unless you actually know what you want to do.

I spend 2 hours on a careers help website where you answer questions and it suggests careers. It didnt help. :|

Looks like we're in the exact same place in our lives...

I applied in nursing, but since I didn't pass my french, I couldn't get into college. In a way, I'm glad cause I'm not sure I want to do that anymore...all I know is that I want to help people...

Been to alot of career advisorsand did those questions, and it always comes out as medicine or art... :shrug:

^ funny stuff?.. :shrug:

MooMoo, I'm 19 too and I'm completely confused with my life. But right now, I suggest you decide what your full out goals are. What will make you happy? Not about the income.. my all-time goals is to get into the PeaceCorps and make something of myself; I love helping people too. :)

The problem is that in order to join the PC, you gotta have a degree. And right now, I'm doing what I can to build up my academics so I can get a major.. hopefully in Environmental Science. Have you thought about studying abroad? Going abroad or even taking a break can give you deep insight on what you really want to do. I took a break for a good six months from college to figure things out. It was getting too crazy in my head. Anyways, I'm assuming that my major's gonna change with time, but don't get TOO stressed out about your future.

We're in the same place, kinda, haha, but I find that stressing out about stuff like that just makes your vision even blurrier-- making it harder to decide what you want. Explore your options, what makes you tick, have some fun with life and let life help you find what YOU want for once. :D

... I sounded like those career advertisements, didn't I? Haha.. sorry. :slant:

But it really isn't that easy... you don't have teachers pushing you and pushing you. Telling you if you don't do this you won't make it. 'You don't get it go get help', maybe i don't have time for help, maybe it isnt me maybe it's the teachers. I had 80's and 70's till i got some teacher i have now. It makes a head spin, quite sad!

You know why my school has high achievement marks... they kick the underachievers out... no lies...

I don't think you HAVE to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life at 17 or 18 or 21. Most people I know have changed career paths a few times since they were 17. Go with something that you're mildly good at and that makes you happy if you can find that. Easier said than done, eh? And don't be surprised if you start something and find out it wasn't what you expected or want.

I'm graduating in May, and I need to start looking for a job now. I'm crossing my fingers hoping I can get at least an internship/lower level staff job on Capitol Hill, but it's kind of daunting to know that in a matter of months I will be out of my parents' nest and on my own. We all gotta grow up some time.

That's all well and good just so long as you make sure to be available 8 years from now.

:wink:

If it's any help I started a psychology degree in 2005 in Bristol, left after first year, and now i've just started a nursing degree in Manchester, and so far it's been pretty good. If you have any questions about nursing, fire away, but bear in mind i've only been doing it for 3 months:p

But I would reccommend it as a degree, if you like your biology plus like doing practical things, and working with people, it's an excellent choice.

MooMoo, about the best advise I can give you is this: if nursing interests you, go for it! :up: You could find an absolute dream job that you can't believe you get paid for - or you may discover you hate nursing with a passion & your true calling in life is to become a world-famous foot model for Jimmy Choo. :D The thing is, I know more people than I can count on both hands who entered college, terrified that if they didn't pick the 'right' course of study that they'd ruin their lives, shame their parents & shatter their income potential the rest of their natural lives. With the exception of one person, that never happened.... I'm joking - it didn't happen to any of them. :wink:

Some kept on with the course of study they started, got a job in that field & hated it enough after a couple of years that they changed careers completely. A few loved their jobs & are still working in the field they trained for. Some changed majors two or three times before finding interest in a career they'd never have imagined for themselves.

All you can do is try to be informed about the jobs available to someone with a nursing degree. Is there a nurse in your family that you could ask? Is there a local hospital that you could call & speak to someone in Human Resources/Recruiting? If you know what school you might attend, surely they'd have someone who could give you some idea of the opportunities available.

Just try not to put so much pressure on yourself. There are millions of people in this world who didn't find their true calling unto they were in their 30's or 40's, etc. Some people never find what makes them happy - but generally because they didn't have any idea what they wanted to start with. Whatever your decision, I wish you luck! :up:

I was interested in nursing, but the not taking the science classes. I decided to take another approach to it and take a courses for the front office part of a doctor's office and know I'm having a hard time finding a job because I don't have experience.

I have always wanted to be a nurse, but I'm pretty quiet and don't have a lot of organizational skills or motivation, and it's such a demanding profession. At the moment, I'm doing Med Science at Uni, and I like it, but I have noooo idea what I'm going to do at the end of it.

Not having a career direction is horrible and it means I have even less motivation to do anything relating to my course. I don't really want to work in a path lab, but we will see i guess. I feel your pain!

As for nursing, yeah I guess its one of those things that you REALLY need to have a passion for or it will either really get you down or you will end up being all bitter.

It's hard when nothing really seems to strike you, but I'm hoping it comes with age!

Job-wise, I've had a real crises for months now, and everything seems to be coming together right now. I'm less motivated every day and the work really sucks, mostly because of the organisation, structure and politics - I work in human sciences, in a big institution. People tend to think it's a great job, and for most of the time it has been really intersting, but in recent years, troubles were becoming bigger and I (and most of my collegues) have become increasingly frustrated. For me personally, it's tough, because in recent months I've realised more and more that I cannot do a job that gives me little or no creativity and where I cannot do my own thing. Besides that "day job" I work as a trainer and teacher and I write and offer all kinds of seminars. I've started an education in art therapy and want to finish it with the diploma in two years or so. It's a lot of work with all the projects you have to do, the supervision sessions, and so on. But I love it and I've realised that this field is something I want to work in in the future. Still I'm scared to lose my current job, because it gives me security and a certain amount of freedom. I'm at a crossroad carreer-wise right now because there's a possibility that our institution will be closed down due to structural reasons (and lack of money), but also that I will have to go, because they are reluctant to give me a new contract for the next year. The situation totally sucks and I hate to get up and go to work in the morning right now. I'm always glad if I can prepare my classes and do my creative stuff, because that's who I really am, but it's so incredibly hard to make a living of that.

Thanks for all the comments.

I know that you dont really need to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life at 19, but you always get made to feel that way, like if you dont make a move now, you never will. :slant: I hope its not true.

I guess I dont have to do nursing, but medical professions do interest me. Nursing just seemed a more likely option, as becoming a doctor or surgeon is waaay beyond what my grades or skills will get me, and Im not going back to college for another 3 years. :crazy:

I dunno. I'm appling to join the nursing bank, which should get me doing some work experience in the hospital. Ill take it from there I spose.

In the meantime Im struggling even getting a basic part-time job to do inbetween college. :| Sucks.

Thanks for all the comments.

I know that you dont really need to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life at 19, but you always get made to feel that way, like if you dont make a move now, you never will. :slant: I hope its not true.

I guess I dont have to do nursing, but medical professions do interest me. Nursing just seemed a more likely option, as becoming a doctor or surgeon is waaay beyond what my grades or skills will get me, and Im not going back to college for another 3 years. :crazy:

I dunno. I'm appling to join the nursing bank, which should get me doing some work experience in the hospital. Ill take it from there I spose.

In the meantime Im struggling even getting a basic part-time job to do inbetween college. :| Sucks.

mhh, my best friend is a nurse too. But she's only doing it because her grades weren't good enough to go to university (she wanted to do medical science). At first she was like 'no way, I cannot do this job', but now she really got used to it, and she began to like it (in a way). She's learning a lot while being in the hospital, and maybe it'll help when she's applying again.
Just give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom