Cancer is such a nasty beast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeattleVertigo

Refugee
My boss, who is one of my closest friends, was diagnosed with cancer in the area of the pancreas a couple of years ago. At the time, doctors wanted to do major surgery, which included taking out a good portion of his insides and would have left him with a 50 percent chance of surviving 5 years. He decided instead to treat it through alternative therapies, and was able to bring the indicators back close to normal for a while. And he resumed a normal life with normal activities.

Late last year, he started noticing problems in his back, and one day in December he slipped on an icy sidewalk and had a hard time getting up. After a couple of days of soreness, he went to the hospital where they determined that he had a tumor around his spine. Doctors performed back surgery, removing the tumor, fusing a portion of the spine together, and strengthening the spine (which had been weakened by the cancer) with a rod and pins. They were going to start a (relatively) mild form of chemo. They expected a full recovery.

That surgery was five weeks ago, and he's been recovering at home, able to walk around in his home but not able to drive yet, or walk very far. He was expected to be done with most of the pain from the back surgery by week six.

A few days ago, he fell again, this time in his home, and started to feel sore.

I drove him to the emergency room today, and just learned that his spinal tumor has come back with a vengeance. It has grown as big as it was when they performed the operation five weeks ago.

I feel so defeated. It took so much strength to make it through the last operation, worrying about his health, dealing with all the things that need to be done with the business....

The talk tonight is that they will operate on his back again, maybe early next week. That could change. But what he's saying is that the surgery will be more extensive this time than last time, and that they might do radiation therapy quickly to try to tackle this.

It leaves me filled with question marks and worry. If the tumor came back with such a vengeance after just five weeks.....How can the poor guy handle a second nasty back surgery? He's been on so much pain medication from the last operation.

Uggggggh. I am numb.

I lost an uncle to cancer this weekend, and 4 months earlier - his older brother had passed away after succumbing to cancer. :(

Thanks folks, and I'm sorry for your loss, Babydoll.

I've been reading a great new book, Anticancer: A New Way of Life, by David Servan-Schreiber, lately. Lots of great material in there. I've eaten a vegan diet for years, in part to lower the risk of diet-related diseases like heart disease and cancer. Servan-Schreiber advocates eating lower on the food chain (fruits and vegetables are full of so many cancer-fighting phytochemicals).

His list of recommended cancer-fighting foods includes:

Green tea
Turmeric and curry
Ginger
Fruits and vegetables in general
Cruciform vegetables
Garlic, onions, leeks, shallots, chives
Tomatoes and tomato sauce
Soy (certain varieties)
Mushrooms
Herbs and spices
Seaweed
Omega 3s
Vitamin D
Probiotics, like yogurt or kim chi
Berries
Citrus fruit
Pomegranate juice
Red wine
Dark chocolate (yay!)

Most of that stuff is part of my diet, and I recently added green tea.

Not sure how I'm gonna sleep tonight. It's hard to sleep when you get such shocking news.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. :hug: He's lucky to have someone like you to be there for him - I know he'll appreciate it.

I know way too many family members/friends who have gone through cancer, or are currently battling it. It helps so much to have supportive people around you, and I know your friend will benefit from having you in his life.

:hug: I'm so sorry to hear this. My aunt had lung cancer and then went through remission and then it came back and spread to her brain and she died from that. I remember seeing her a few days before she died and it was very saddening.

I am really sorry to hear that! I've had a very hard time too. My boyfriend had an operation in June and my mum two weeks ago. She had a tumor in her breast, but the doctor said she's clean now. Next week she is getting radiation therapy just in case.

My boyfriend had a tumor in the spine, but he had a little more luck, since it was in the (brain) liquor channel so that made it a little easier to do surgery:s. When I heard it it fell like the earth below me opened up to swallow me. When the operation was done, he could hardly move, couldn't even hold a fork or roll himself over in bed. The nerve system was damaged and we didn't know if he was ever able to heal again. Luckily he did, but he had intense therapy and he had to stay in the revalidation centre for almost a month! He still has physical therapy twice a week and started to work again for 10 hours a week.

When my boyfriend was in the revalidation centre, there was a woman who survived two operations on her spine. She also had a tumor around the spine and had radiation therapy and she was clean now.

I hope your friend will be allright. He's in my prayers!!!

Last edited:
@ SeattleVertigo,

Quote:"Most of that stuff is part of my diet, and I recently added green tea.

Not sure how I'm gonna sleep tonight. It's hard to sleep when you get such shocking news."

I'M SORRY, HONEY, IT DOESN'T HELP!!

You can eat healthy all you want, but can you change genetic things?

He had to have a third back surgery on Wednesday to deal with loss of feeling in his legs from the second surgery. Originally, it was supposed to be relatively minor surgery, but it turned out to be much more extensive. Chemo starts on Monday. Ordinarily, they'd wait until he heals up from the surgery to start the chemo, but they don't have the luxury of that kind of time.

It's been a very difficult experience, but also a spiritual one. The guy has so many people who love him. Such an upbeat, sociable, positive person who attracts fierce loyalty in people. I find him to be unbelievably strong and courageous in the face of three major back surgeries in less than two months.

I'll tell ya, this incredible new U2 music couldn't come at a better time for me. U2 has a way of doing that in my life.

Hey, Bonoa, I'm glad that your boyfriend was able to recover well from the spinal tumor. That's encouraging news.

I hear you on the genetic issues, and I realize how important genetics are, but there's a lot of data to show that people can improve their chances of avoiding degenerative diseases such as cancer through lifestyle choices such as healthy diet and exercise. Check out ::: THE CHINA STUDY :::, for example -- in countries where diets are more healthful, the rates of cancer are less than in the United States.

SV so sorry to hear such about such a struggle for your boss & you as a friend. :( :hug:

Sometimes genetics can be overcome by other treatments, life "stlye" (putting that in quotes b/c it's not being said/meant in a frivilous way....

:hug:S to all ewho have lost loved ones or are strugging along with anyone striken that you care about.

Positive vibes to bring you strenth regarding your friend. Interesting list you posted about cancer-fighting foods. Thanks for sharing that. It's so sad the number of people whose lives have been affected by having lost someone--a family member, friend, co-worker, associate, etc. who has succumbed to some form of cancer. I wish cures could be developed quicker for cancer and other diseases like Diabetes, SIDS & Alzheimers.

Well, he finally died yesterday -- after an incredibly valiant 6-month fight against the latest bout of cancer.

He was incredibly courageous even in the face of tremendous pain and suffering. Several months ago he lost feeling below his belly button and was confined either to his bed or wheelchair, but he remained optimistic and hopful to the end. Everybody who talked with him or visited him at the hospital remarked how kind he was. He wanted to know about their businesses, their families, how their lives were going. So selfless.

Even though he died much younger than I thought he would reach (at least before the cancer struck), he lived a very complete and full life. He felt tremendous gratitude for his life experiences and the people he met and made friends with. And he was optimistic and hopeful, even though he knew full well the seriousness of the problems we face.

I had the time to create a new business in the place of his, all the while being able to consult with him about the best steps to take.

I am at peace; I've had plenty of time to prepare, and I have deep trust in the universe. But I'll miss the guy. He was a terrific friend and leader.

my most sincere thoughts and condolences to you. SV. i'm so sorry for your loss.
he sounded like a wonderful human being, and i'm sure he is so proud of how caringly and affectionately you spoke of him. high, high praise indeed. he was fortunate to have someone so loving as you in his life. :hug: :hug:

Sorry to hear about your loss SeattleVertigo.

Cancer is a nasty bastard. Its claimed my Grandfather, my girlfriends Grandfather this year. and My Mum's aunty has just been diagonised with a tumor on the lung. (She's a smoker, so she's not getting as much sympathy from me)

Its a horrible disease.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I agree cancer can be a nasty beast because it's claimed so many people I knew.
Paternal Grandfather-Liver Cancer
Maternal Grandfather-Prostate cancer
2 Family friends-Breast cancer
Friend's mother-Leukemia

((HUGS))

Sorry for your loss SV. Cancer truly is the most vile of illnesses. Your freind has been realeased from his hell and is at at peace now:hug:

Back
Top Bottom