Can online relationships really become proper relationships?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And not everyone has "close friends" online. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you if you don't.

:shrug:

Having not read through this entire thread, I will add my 2 cents..:p

I frequent Zootopia a lot and through it, 2 happy marriages have resulted...

I have done the online thing myself...and it hasn't really worked out for me except for obtaining close friendships. I guess I am just not ready for a romantic relationship.

It all depends on the person, circumstances, and what a person expects.

I see no real difference in the effectiveness of the traditional methods and the new online routes...they both require reasonable expectations and an open mind.

Eh.. it's tricky. I've met many people online who I've met and become friends with in person. I see no reason why a friendship couldn't progress into something more if there was a chemistry upon meeting, but I'm not sure how a romantic relationship that initiates online could translate into real life :shrug: I've found you never really *know* a person until you spend time with them face to face.

I've met some very close friends online though :) Just another tool to meet people you wouldn't otherwise have the chance to encounter. I'm definitely not knocking it.

Yeah I agree with Kaf - I've met some wonderful people here, and we talk online every day and I consider them no less friends than my "real life" friends. In fact, I share a lot more with 2 people here than I do with my real life friends - I consider these 2 only second to family.

You know who you are.

:heart:

I never had an "online friend" and I thinks it's weird... But who knows? :shrug: it could work...
I'm sure there are people who became true friends or couples through the internet, but I'm also sure there are a lot of people who had great disappointments or were just victims of someone that just likes to fool around...

I guess it's only a matter of luck after all...

annie_vox said:

I guess it's only a matter of luck after all...

Isn't that just the same in real life? I mean, when you meet somebody in the 'real' world, who knows what that person's intentions or backgrounds may be. Who can guarantee you that that person is to be trusted, and people from the 'online' world aren't?

I'm not denying that there's a lot of bad and freaky people out there who only have bad intentions. And I'm not saying either that when you meet-up with someone from the internet can be a huge disappointment or a disaster even. I'm just saying that people shouldn't think online friends are 'weird' without even considering the good things that can come out of it. Sometimes we can get good friendships or support from online buddies.

JanuaryStar said:

Isn't that just the same in real life? I mean, when you meet somebody in the 'real' world, who knows what that person's intentions or backgrounds may be. Who can guarantee you that that person is to be trusted, and people from the 'online' world aren't?

Right, but it's a little different. When a person is in front of you they can't lie about their age, sex, physical appearence, maybe they can lie about what they do but it's a little easier to find out... In the end they can lie about the most important things, but still I guess there's a slight difference. But I accept that people can make friends online, but it's hard for me to understand. Maybe one day it will happen to me, who knows :shrug:
Anyway even in "real life" I don't start to talk to people just like that, and it takes a while for me to call someone a friend.

annie_vox said:

Anyway even in "real life" I don't start to talk to people just like that, and it takes a while for me to call someone a friend.

Dito for the real world as for the online world, for me :)

You can make great friends with people from this board and know 100% they are true. :)
And they help you in good times as well as in hard times, and sometimes even provide better help than your "real life" friends.

It's not weird, it just happens. And then progresses. And it's wonderful. :)

Babydoll said:
Yeah I agree with Kaf - I've met some wonderful people here, and we talk online every day and I consider them no less friends than my "real life" friends. In fact, I share a lot more with 2 people here than I do with my real life friends - I consider these 2 only second to family.

You know who you are.

:heart:
:heart::kaflovesZ::hug:

I do not want to be the one to name names

Bonochick said:
Don't forget bonovista and emeraldscorpio! I think they may have been the first marriage this board sparked. :heart:

They paved the way!

Don't we have a few relationships that HAVEN'T worked too? Marriages and then divorces?

:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom