Can online relationships really become proper relationships?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty sure Mrs Edge and cydewaze met here, they're married now.

And Salome and Lara Mullen are engaged (I think). :)

well you cant talk online interference hookups, without mentioning ABRO as well as Schmeg and the plumber.

I'm sure there are more, just cant think of them at the moment....

:|

Don't forget bonovista and emeraldscorpio! I think they may have been the first marriage this board sparked. :heart:

Sicy said:
If we're talking about online relationships in general...
I met my one of my best friend online. Here, in fact. And though I see her in person only a couple of times a year, we have a great relationship. So I say it IS possible, though if there is always the distance it can be very trying on any relationship.

:flirt:

it seems to be the norm

in this day and age to me it seems more people I know have met their signficant other/partner online in some way or another whether it be a forum like Interference or an online dating service like Lavalife or Myspace or MSN. - just seems in technology age that people are spending more time plugged in than out.
I met my current husband online, after my mother died over 10 years ago, my father found company on the internet and they are now married and have been been for a number of years

come to think of it these days, I dont know anyone who has met their partner in person first while going out and socializing.

times they are a changing

Re: it seems to be the norm

lucky charms said:
in this day and age to me it seems more people I know have met their signficant other/partner online in some way or another whether it be a forum like Interference or an online dating service like Lavalife or Myspace or MSN. - just seems in technology age that people are spending more time plugged in than out.
I met my current husband online, after my mother died over 10 years ago, my father found company on the internet and they are now married and have been been for a number of years

come to think of it these days, I dont know anyone who has met their partner in person first while going out and socializing.

times they are a changing

it does seem that the stigma attached to meeting some online has lessened quite a bit. I know of a couple that met on Match.com and got married last year. I met my fiance on AOL through a random e-mail I sent him because I saw in his profile that he liked U2 and I was looking for people to chat with. that was in 1998. We started dating in 2002 and are coming up on 5 years together this August, and our wedding is next year. it doesn't work for everyone, but for some people it certainly does.

personally from my own experience, they work. The guy I was with before my husband, we met on line through the U2 chat actually.....well we broke up...I broke up with him for different reasons.....sad to say yeah....I regret it alot...more so at some times then others.

About the original topic - I had a great relationship with a guy I chatted a lot with online in high school over the course of 4 months or so, and we almost never talked in person. Finally we went on a date and it was awful, and from there at least on my side I wasn't so interested in talking online anymore - ultimately if it can't progress beyond there what's the point? But I've also had relationships that deepened online (having met the person previously) and were great when we met in person again.

ABRO

Rono said:
yes, it can work.

You only need to be yourself at msn.

you speak from experience, my darling fiance? :kiss: :flirt:

yes, besides my wonderful fiance rono, who i met here on interference, i've also met many great U2 fans here who have become great friends in real life too. :heart:

Last edited:
ugh i'll say a little bit...

in the 2 yrs I've been here...ive met the love of my life....honestly i don't think i could live with out him. even though we've never met..you know you've got something when you talk to them a lot on the phone and you know you love them..ive been told omg you've never met him how the fuck do you know?!?! and i just respond with the 'i know he's actually who he is...' ive got proof and stuff and i mean 2 yr you think if they just wanted something they'd come right? and in 5 months i can prove those people wrong;) but only 2 people actually know the story. and they aren't the ones who say that lol.

and yes i think that our "relationship" will work out with out a doubt. i mean does it really matter where you met? no it doesn't as long as the relationship isnt a lie.

Last edited:
love_u2_adam said:
ive been told omg you've never met him how the fuck do you know?!?!

i get asked that all the time from acquaintances of mine. but my real friends, people who know us, know we love each other.

i always give the answer, ya know some people meet in bars, or they bump into each other at a concert or on the street or a singles group and end up dating/falling in love...how well do you really know any one even in real life? :shrug:

love_u2_adam said:
ugh i'll say a little bit...

in the 2 yrs I've been here...ive met the love of my life....honestly i don't think i could live with out him. even though we've never met..you know you've got something when you talk to them a lot on the phone and you know you love them..ive been told omg you've never met him how the fuck do you know?!?! and i just respond with the 'i know he's actually who he is...' ive got proof and stuff and i mean 2 yr you think if they just wanted something they'd come right? and in 5 months i can prove those people wrong;) but only 2 people actually know the story. and they aren't the ones who say that lol.

and yes i think that our "relationship" will work out with out a doubt. i mean does it really matter where you met? no it doesn't as long as the relationship isnt a lie.

:rockon: you go girl!!

I feel like a reject then. I'm stuck behind a brick wall or in a box. :reject:

I'm not close friends with anyone here. AND I can sure bet that I won't meet a lad on here and create a relationship. :sad:

Some of y'all are really terrific people!

absintheminded said:
I feel like a reject then. I'm stuck behind a brick wall or in a box. :reject:

I'm not close friends with anyone here. AND I can sure bet that I won't meet a lad on here and create a relationship. :sad:

Some of y'all are really terrific people!

you shouldn't feel like a reject! :hug: just keep posting. keep talking to people and you'll get to know them more :)

Back
Top Bottom