Business Trips ... Are They Legit When There's Closing Involved ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMofoGone

Blue Crack Addict
Where do I begin ?? :ohmy:

I have a friend who is in a rough situation right now. No ... it's not the girlfriend who dealt with her cheating husband. This other girlfriend has a boyfriend with whom she has been living with for over 8 years. Her boyfriend works at a chemical tool supply warehouse. He is a Warehouse Distribution Center Manager. She just found out that he will be losing his job at the end of the month, because their company does NOT produce enough profit from sales/orders. So the company ... which is based in Germany, is actually closing one of their 4 locationed warehouses here in the USA, because they're losing money by keeping his employment open for business. Her boyfriend had to go to Atlanta on a last-time business trip, to talk about the sales in the company, etc. She was kinda wondering why would he really think it was necessary to go on that last-minute business trip ... since he was already told he was losing his job at the end of the month. But, she felt it was 'HIS DECISION' ... whether or not he really needed to go on that business trip. His boss said he wanted him there ... but, considering he was losing his job ... what was the point of him going ?? Should he have stayed home with his girlfriend ... OR ... should he have actually gone away on that business trip ?? :shrug:

I told her that I thought he should have stayed home ... just because, since he was losing his manager position in a month ... it was NOT really necessary for him to be on that business trip to promote the company's sales . I didn't really even understand why he decided to go. :hmm:

His girlfriend was really upset ... she also thought he would have much rather spent the weekend at home with her ... than to go on that business trip for the last time !! And for what ?? ... to act like a big-cheese ?? She still doesn't understand why he had to feel it was NECESSARY to go !! I still don't think it was NECESSARY, either. So, why would he really go ?? What is so-ooo fascinating about going to Atlanta ?? I guess I'm asking should he have gone on that business trip ?? ... OR should he have NOT cared and stayed at home with his girlfriend ??
Afterall ... remember he is losing his job in a couple of weeks.

There is talk that he could get hired at their sister company (which is located at a further distance here in the Chicago Suburbs) but again ... there is NO guarantee he WILL be hired ... it's only a 'shot-in-the-dark' as to if they have any job openings OR if they create an job opening for ANY of the employees who are losing their jobs with their former-partnered company. Although, he might get an opportunity with their sister company, he probably won't get a management position ... meaning he would have to start all over again and make less money. Yes, it's NOT the end of the world to start all over ... but, he is so-ooo 'high up on a pedestal' about being a manager, that he would NOT settle for anything less than that position in management. He would definitely NOT settle for less money ... plus his options are certainly open to look for other employment elsewhere outside of the company. They will be giving their employees a severance pay and a very good bonus ... if they stay until the last working day. So, it's NOT like the company would NOT give him a good salary pay BEFORE he had to depart.

But, his girlfriend is still thinking why did he NEED to go on this business trip for 1 last time ?? All the other employees didn't go .... and they could have gone, if they wanted to ... since it was a sales promotion. So, why did he go ?? Please give my friend ant advice OR insight you may feel. Again ... she simply does NOT understand why he had to feel like he was necessary to go !! :tsk:

So again ... what's the answer ??? Please give advice.

He hasn't finished working yet. That's probably why he still went.

Just because he's getting the sack doesn't mean he should stop trying or caring at all at work. Going on the business trip would look good if he's hired with the sister company, even if it is a long shot.

It sounds like she's a bit insecure about something, just my opinion:shrug:

Maybe because he's still taking a paycheck from the company and he's a mature, fucking professional? Maybe because even if it's just a shot in the dark, it's worth one more weekend of his life? If he's going to go down, he's going to go down swinging/working. Good for him. Too bad his girlfriend cannot wrap her brain around something so very simple.

If he's going to be unemployed in a couple of weeks and doesn't already have a job lined up chances are good he's going to have plenty of time home with his girlfriend. :lmao:

Why should he have done the business trip? Because unless he/they are suddenly independently wealthy, or she has an awesome paying job and doesn't mind supporting them both on her income alone, he most likely is interested in finding another job. His current company is a reference and it's very possible being pissy right at the end of his employment will turn an otherwise good reference to an "eh, he's ok" reference. Not something you want when you are seeking a job in an increasingly tight job market. You mention there is a possibility of him getting a job with his current company's sister company -- if he blew off this trip that "possible" job will turn into a "no-way-in-Hell" job. It could also have been an excellent networking opportunity -- that alone is reason enough to do it. And maybe he just feels that doing his job while he still has it is right.

I have to say his girlfriend sounds awfully clingy and insecure. I really can't believe a normal person would get upset over something like this.

Just for the record ... it has nothing to do with being so-ooo fucking simple.

There are concerns, mind you ... if he doesn't have a GUARANTEE about getting another job within the closed-down company in another location ... although, possibly relocating ... OR possibly staying with the sister company here in their OWN hometown, then why on-earth would it be necessary to go to promote a sales promotion that's NOT happening here for their company ??

It totally makes no sense !! She's not insecure ... because he's losing his job. It's NOT like he's gonna benefit by being on this business trip ... he company IS STILL gonna close at the end of the month ... no changes will take place to keep it open. His management position WILL be history. End of story.

So again I ask ... What's the point in this business trip ?? It makes entirely no sense. If he told his boss he was NOT going to go (because he felt it was completely unnecessary) what would his boss have said ?? I'm gonna fire you ?? Please !! It wouldn't even make a difference at this point. He would still get his severance pay and bonus ... it was NOT necessary for him to go on this trip. Period. His boss would have understood and said "Fine, stay home" !!

Last edited:
Also ... let me add that his boss was supposed to come into town (after their business trip) and speak to the other minority employees about the company's closing. The regular employees had no idea about their company's shut-down ... only the manager ( my friend's boyfriend) knew about the closing.

And ... to top-it-off his boss didn't even have the guts to come into town and TELL the other employees about the warehouse closing. He instead called them (from his office in Florida) and told them all in a conference call ... that the company was shutting down (closing) ... at the end of the month.

WHAT A GUTLESS JERK !! That was totally ridiculous. The employees DESERVED better than that from their 'higher-up boss' than to be told about their company's closing ... OR say, about them being out of a job in a month ... over a conference call on the phone. That higher-up boss SHOULD have been there 'in-person' to deliver their bad-news fate ... NOT given them a phone call from miles away from their location. He truly was a GUTLESS jerk ... obviously, he didn't want to face the employees to tell them they would be outta work soon. Makes a good reason to believe maybe the sister company wouldn't show much concern to hire those outta work employees either. His boss has alot of clout within their sister company. Don't know if that's a good sign ... or a bad one. :hmm:

Last edited:
Or Bosch-Rexroth. :wink:

Your friends need to get busy with things, MsMofo. Get hobbies, get out more, walk their dogs. The business closing in a month doesn't mean there's not still work to be done in that remaining time... Unless he's having an affair, or felt like taking off on his own for a while. She ought to grill him a bit about this. It sounds awfully fishy!
:hmm:

MsMofoGone said:
There are concerns, mind you ... if he doesn't have a GUARANTEE about getting another job within the closed-down company in another location ... although, possibly relocating ... OR possibly staying with the sister company here in their OWN hometown, then why on-earth would it be necessary to go to promote a sales promotion that's NOT happening here for their company ??

It totally makes no sense !! She's not insecure ... because he's losing his job. It's NOT like he's gonna benefit by being on this business trip ... he company IS STILL gonna close at the end of the month ... no changes will take place to keep it open. His management position WILL be history. End of story.

So again I ask ... What's the point in this business trip ?? I !!

Please reread your own post and see what the point of this business trip is.

1. As others have said...he is still employed by this company, and he's probably invested a lot of time and heart and soul into it to be a manager. It is still important to him for more than a paycheck and a severance package.

2. There is a slim chance he could be employed by the sister company. Perhaps the slim chance becomes a little less slim if he takes this trip? Perhaps his boss sees him as someone with commitment to even a sinking ship and will give him a good reference (again, as others have said)?

3. It's a free trip to Germany.

4. If they've been living together for 8 years, one weekend is not going to kill the relationship. Instead of telling her she SHOULD be so mad that he's going on this free trip to Germany to make his sinking ship and himself look good, tell her to enjoy having the house, the remote control, and the bed to herself.

Last edited:
If I knew I was getting shitcanned, then goodbye motivation. Of course it would be better if he had something lined up immediately after the currently job was ending. Nothing beats those two weeks after you give your notice and your productivity comes to a grinding halt. :yes:

:hmm:

spending weekend with clingy and obsessive girlfriend or...
have the company pay me to fly to germany, talk some bullshit, and swim in a pool of hefeweizen every night

fuck, you're right. the guy's a doop. she should dump him.

MsMofoGone said:
So again ... what's the answer ??? Please give advice. [/B]

The answer is: she is being beyond ridiculous. She sounds like a 7th grader mad at her boyfriend for going on vacation with his family instead of spending his last week of summer with HER.

And you are way too wrapped up in your friend's business.

I think we need to consider this from his perspective as well. I know from experience that it is VERY hard to convince strippers to go back to your hotel your with you if your clingy girlfriend is there. So maybe he just needs some alone time. :shrug:

If I found out that one of my friends was discussing my personal problems in a fair amount of detail on a public forum on the internet, I'd be mad. I think you're trying to help, as you were last time, but think about it from that perspective, too.

MsMofoGone said:
Where do I begin ?? :ohmy:
The end of the story, like in that Seinfeld episode. It would be fun.
MsMofoGone said:
I have a friend who is in a rough situation right now. No ... it's not the girlfriend who dealt with her cheating husband. This other girlfriend has a boyfriend with whom she has been living with for over 8 years. Her boyfriend works at a chemical tool supply warehouse. He is a Warehouse Distribution Center Manager. She just found out that he will be losing his job at the end of the month, because their company does NOT produce enough profit from sales/orders. So the company ... which is based in Germany, is actually closing one of their 4 locationed warehouses here in the USA, because they're losing money by keeping his employment open for business.
(Nods.)
MsMofoGone said:
Her boyfriend had to go to Atlanta on a last-time business trip, to talk about the sales in the company, etc.
So, he had to go. Fair enough.
MsMofoGone said:
She was kinda wondering why would he really think it was necessary to go on that last-minute business trip ... since he was already told he was losing his job at the end of the month. But, she felt it was 'HIS DECISION' ... whether or not he really needed to go on that business trip. His boss said he wanted him there ... but, considering he was losing his job ... what was the point of him going ?? Should he have stayed home with his girlfriend ... OR ... should he have actually gone away on that business trip ?? :shrug:
He should have gone on the business trip. He had to go. You just said so. It's not "HIS DECISION." Although, maybe the message telling him he had to go was in all caps, so that could be accurate.
MsMofoGone said:
I told her that I thought he should have stayed home ... just because, since he was losing his manager position in a month ... it was NOT really necessary for him to be on that business trip to promote the company's sales . I didn't really even understand why he decided to go. :hmm:
Question: What's not to understand? He feels obligated since he still works there.
MsMofoGone said:
His girlfriend was really upset ... she also thought he would have much rather spent the weekend at home with her ... than to go on that business trip for the last time !! And for what ?? ... to act like a big-cheese ?? She still doesn't understand why he had to feel it was NECESSARY to go !! I still don't think it was NECESSARY, either. So, why would he really go ?? What is so-ooo fascinating about going to Atlanta ?? I guess I'm asking should he have gone on that business trip ?? ... OR should he have NOT cared and stayed at home with his girlfriend ??
Well, it's a mandatory business trip, not optional. So, it's probably NECESSARY.
MsMofoGone said:
Afterall ... remember he is losing his job in a couple of weeks.
Damn, I almost forgot. Thanks for reminding me.
MsMofoGone said:
There is talk that he could get hired at their sister company (which is located at a further distance here in the Chicago Suburbs) but again ... there is NO guarantee he WILL be hired ... it's only a 'shot-in-the-dark' as to if they have any job openings OR if they create an job opening for ANY of the employees who are losing their jobs with their former-partnered company. Although, he might get an opportunity with their sister company, he probably won't get a management position ... meaning he would have to start all over again and make less money. Yes, it's NOT the end of the world to start all over ... but, he is so-ooo 'high up on a pedestal' about being a manager, that he would NOT settle for anything less than that position in management. He would definitely NOT settle for less money ... plus his options are certainly open to look for other employment elsewhere outside of the company. They will be giving their employees a severance pay and a very good bonus ... if they stay until the last working day. So, it's NOT like the company would NOT give him a good salary pay BEFORE he had to depart.
In all honesty, this is the key point here. If he wants to get a shot with this other company, he can't mail it in during these last few weeks.
MsMofoGone said:
But, his girlfriend is still thinking why did he NEED to go on this business trip for 1 last time ?? All the other employees didn't go .... and they could have gone, if they wanted to ... since it was a sales promotion. So, why did he go ?? Please give my friend ant advice OR insight you may feel.
That typo's kind of funny. Ant advice. Like the advice ants would give. LOL. That's funny.
MsMofoGone said:
Again ... she simply does NOT understand why he had to feel like he was necessary to go !! :tsk:
Oh, yeah, that's right. Thanks again.
MsMofoGone said:
So again ... what's the answer ??? Please give advice.
The answer is probably the story as it will occur. I will write it in quotation marks: "The boyfriend goes on this business trip, comes home, finishes his work, finds another job after he's laid off, and the girlfriend finds something else to freak out about. And they live on the edge ever after."

That, or he's really going to Germany to cheat on his girlfriend. It's one or the other.

OK ... so I'm glad those of you who think his business trip is in Germany, have even bothered with posting a response.

Check below and then tell me when did I say her boyfriend went to Germany ??

Originally posted by MsMofoGone
Her boyfriend had to go to Atlanta on a last-time business trip, to talk about the sales in the company, etc.

Actually, besides the severance and bonus package that the company is offering ... there was NO other benefit with going on this trip. If he would be relocating to another state to CONTINUE his employment with this company ... then, I could see a point of going to talk 'shop' !! But, the bottom line is ... there is a very SMALL chance in getting an opportunity with the sister company. There are NO openings presently ... and I highly doubt in a (as someone said earlier) tight job market, that a company is going to just create several job positions 'outta-the-blue' so that ANY of those employees can remain employed. If there's no "snowball's chance in hell' for employment with the sister company, because of no positions available right now ... then he SHOULD be looking elsewhere (and as soon as possible) for other employment opportunities.

With the fear of a recession happening later this year ... who wants to be 'outta work' any longer than absolutely necessary ?? Again, he should be going out investing his time in looking for another job opportunity right now. This would at least make it seem like he would be even more prepared for when he's closed down and had to find other employment if he doesn't get an offer within the sister company. The fact he's waiting for 'guaranteed' news on this slim chance is really like an 'Alice in Wonderland' dream. He needs to 'wake up' and face the reality that he WILL be outta work as soon as the company closes. No job ... Period !! What next, then ?? :ohmy:

(light bulb goes off) Oh, that's it ... I need to look for other employment !! :up:

Yes, reality comes a bit late to those who don't grasp it (or want to live in it)

Totally stupid, that business trip. No reason necessary at all to attend. Although, I wonder about the 'cheating' scenario that was mentioned earlier. That WOULD make more sense as to WHY he did feel-the-need to go afterall.

MsMofoGone said:
OK ... so I'm glad those of you who think his business trip is in Germany, have even bothered with posting a response.

Actually, besides the severance and bonus package that the company is offering ... there was NO other benefit with going on this trip. If he would be relocating to another state to CONTINUE his employment with this company ... then, I could see a point of going to talk 'shop' !! But, the bottom line is ... there is a very SMALL chance in getting an opportunity with the sister company. There are NO openings presently ... and I highly doubt in a (as someone said earlier) tight job market, that a company is going to just create several job positions 'outta-the-blue' so that ANY of those employees can remain employed. If there's no "snowball's chance in hell' for employment with the sister company, because of no positions available right now ... then he SHOULD be looking elsewhere (and as soon as possible) for other employment opportunities.

With the fear of a recession happening later this year ... who wants to be 'outta work' any longer than absolutely necessary ?? Again, he should be going out investing his time in looking for another job opportunity right now. This would at least make it seem like he would be even more prepared for when he's closed down and had to find other employment if he doesn't get an offer within the sister company. The fact he's waiting for 'guaranteed' news on this slim chance is really like an 'Alice in Wonderland' dream. He needs to 'wake up' and face the reality that he WILL be outta work as soon as the company closes. No job ... Period !! What next, then ?? :ohmy:

(light bulb goes off) Oh, that's it ... I need to look for other employment !! :up:

Yes, reality comes a bit late to those who don't grasp it (or want to live in it)

Totally stupid, that business trip. No reason necessary at all to attend. Although, I wonder about the 'cheating' scenario that was mentioned earlier. That WOULD make more sense as to WHY he did feel-the-need to go afterall.

You're an idiot.

Sicy, BC, my apologies, but, I cannot help it on this one. Do what you will.

MsMofoGone said:

Actually, I was saying he might be lying and going to Germany, but point taken.

MsMofoGone said:

Hold on. You just said over and over again that the girlfriend wanted him to stay home with her for the weekend, not to look for a job. It's one or the other, not both.

Forget Nostradamus or the Bible. This is the most prophetic writing or our time.

idiocracy_2%5B4%5D.jpg

Another legitimate question: If he skips this business trip, doesn't that put his severance pay at risk? I mean, you said right there that severance would be an advantage to going on this trip. Do you know how severance works? You get paid for a while.

Wouldn't it make more sense to go for one weekend on a trip to get this severance and thus have several weeks to look for a job while getting paid as opposed to skipping it and looking for a job or as you said originally to stay home with the girlfriend?

Originally posted by phillyfan26
Actually, I was saying he might be lying and going to Germany, but point taken.

If he was planning to go to Germany, that would have been very difficult to instead try and cover up. I thought it was misunderstood here ... since I said his company was based in Germany, not that his business trip was to go there ... he was to go to Atlanta ... and that IS where he went.

Originally posted by phillyfan26
Hold on. You just said over and over again that the girlfriend wanted him to stay home with her for the weekend, not to look for a job. It's one or the other, not both.

Well, yeah ... she did want him to stay home, but, it was because she thought his responsibilities to look for employment were much more important, since his 'guarantee of another position' with that sister company was indeed NOT going to happen.

I understand everyone's point here ... although, calling me an idiot (just because I disagree and have a different approach of a perspective to this matter) WAS very much uncalled for. If you want to explain what the benefits are in being 'dedicated and devoted' to a company that although unfortunately was closing down NOT actually firing the employess ... then explain WHY he should be so-ooo compelled NOT to be concerned about his OWN career/future ?? Then, we can honestly say what's the positive or negative about this issue. Period.

I already posted why the trip is legit. I called you an idiot after that.

ETA - And, I call you that not because you have a different perspective, but because you are unable/unwilling to actually read and absorb what others write. You're obtuse, so much so that it almost seems deliberate to me.

Last edited:
MsMofoGone said:
Well, yeah ... she did want him to stay home, but, it was because she thought his responsibilities to look for employment were much more important, since his 'guarantee of another position' with that sister company was indeed NOT going to happen.

MsMofoGone said:
Should he have stayed home with his girlfriend ... OR ... should he have actually gone away on that business trip ?? :shrug:

His girlfriend was really upset ... she also thought he would have much rather spent the weekend at home with her ... than to go on that business trip for the last time !!

I guess I'm asking should he have gone on that business trip ?? ... OR should he have NOT cared and stayed at home with his girlfriend ??

Nowhere here do you mention ANYTHING about staying home to look for employment.

You specifically say, "spend the weekend at home with her."

It's clear that this is an audible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom