Business Trips ... Are They Legit When There's Closing Involved ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MsMofoGone said:

... so he figured since the company was inviting the employees to go, he would just go ahead and go.

so why does this thread exist?

and I love that everything so far HAS been a FACT and you have such definite INFORMATION on his job, position, yada yada and NOW we've got a "she's probably". I'd like some CLARITY actually, can you call HER and confirm?

Originally posted by anitram

Ooooooooh, well when you put it that way, he sounds like a total sketchbag! I mean, what kind of reasoning is that???

Thank you !! :up:

Maybe I should have mentioned some other points as well ... but I didn't think it was necessary to give a 'full-blown' documentary on this discussion. :lol:

OK ... I laughed because of his 'dumb reasoning' behind taking this trip. My girlfriend doesn't believe he was 'looking out' for himself and his 'BEST interests' within the company issues. She knew he just went on this trip, because he could go. It made absolutely NO difference at all, that the opportunity was made possible because of his employer. He wanted to see the city of Atlanta because he never has been there before ... he didn't care that he was there with the sales managers, corp heads, etc.

I think you and your friend (friends) like drama and when you don't get enough you manufacture it (like here).

It's not a big deal and shouldn't be made into one by her and especially not by you. You've gotten several responses from people who have ACTUALLY (note the caps lock of truth -- abbreviated as CLOT ;) ) been in similar situations (the layoff/company closing bit, not the drama queen girlfriend and her egging-her-on friend bit), but you aren't interested in what they have to say. You just want people to agree that this guy should have done what you wanted him to do even if he had legitimate reasons for the action he did take.

I've been laid off (permanent layoff with no chance of being rehired) and have done more than I absolutely had to in those last days on that job. And you know what? The way I responded to getting laid off was instrumental in getting my next job (and there were hundreds of applicants) which was better overall and paid more. The new job was in a different profession too.

Is this guy guaranteed a job with the sister company or a bang up recommendation for going on this trip? No. NOTHING (the dreaded CLOT again :D ) is guaranteed in this life. But he has a better chance of getting either if he plays the game than if he doesn't.

And I think getting a free trip to Atlanta without his whiny, paranoid girlfriend is reason enough to go, even without any other considerations. Now he just needs to ditch her and get someone who isn't crazy.

MsMofoGone said:
Maybe I should have mentioned some other points as well ... but I didn't think it was necessary to give a 'full-blown' documentary on this discussion. :lol:

Oh I beg to differ, I think it's completely necessary. I don't think it's fair to throw a topic out there and withhold details. Maybe you would have gotten very different replies if we knew all the facts.

MsMofoGone said:

OK ... I laughed because of his 'dumb reasoning' behind taking this trip. My girlfriend doesn't believe he was 'looking out' for himself and his 'BEST interests' within the company issues. She knew he just went on this trip, because he could go. It made absolutely NO difference at all, that the opportunity was made possible because of his employer. He wanted to see the city of Atlanta because he never has been there before ... he didn't care that he was there with the sales managers, corp heads, etc.

What's the problem with him going on a free trip and taking advantage of his employer (they clearly don't mind if they invited everyone) before the job closes? If he doesn't get employment again he may never see Atlanta, and it is the home of the world's largest aquarium.

indra said:
I think you and your friend (friends) like drama and when you don't get enough you manufacture it (like here).

And I think getting a free trip to Atlanta without his whiny, paranoid girlfriend is reason enough to go, even without any other considerations. Now he just needs to ditch her and get someone who isn't crazy.

I concur :yes:

well as of July 2006 for every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.6 males. Maybe he's being recruited by the FLTGL organization :hmm:

Originally posted by indra
Is this guy guaranteed a job with the sister company or a bang up recommendation for going on this trip? No. NOTHING (the dreaded CLOT again :D ) is guaranteed in this life. But he has a better chance of getting either if he plays the game than if he doesn't.

Actually nothing is guaranteed in life (except paying taxes and dying) And speaking of playing games, then why did the Corporate Manager give the employees the bad news of their company's location closing over the phone ?? Like that isn't a heartless, sappy way to tell the employees their jobs are history ?? He should have MADE THE EFFORT to make a trip here and then told them all in person of the company's fate. The fact he was totally showing a lack of professionalism with employee relations (or doesn't have the nerve to tell them face-to-face)makes a debate as to how this guy can be a man of importance OR Corporate head ?? The company is gonna 'hang her boyfriend out to dry' ... and this is ONLY the beginning. I would be williing to take 'bets' about if they actually receive their 'staying till the close' bonuses or severance pay.

Originally posted by indra

She's not crazy ... she's even more professional-minded than he is when it comes to a prospering career. She's an Executive Administrator in the School District here. Surprise !! That definitely says something about her employment. :up:

Originally posted by snowbunny00774
Oh I beg to differ, I think it's completely necessary. I don't think it's fair to throw a topic out there and withhold details. Maybe you would have gotten very different replies if we knew all the facts.

I didn't withhold details. Like I said, I didn't think a 'full-blown' documentary was needed to understand her concerns OR his work issues !! Besides, I don't think I could explain EVERY SINGLE DETAIL ... she may have NOT told me everything that is happening. I can't really say ... maybe there's another factor involved ?? I don't really know at this point.

Originally posted by snowbunny00774
What's the problem with him going on a free trip and taking advantage of his employer (they clearly don't mind if they invited everyone) before the job closes? If he doesn't get employment again he may never see Atlanta, and it is the home of the world's largest aquarium.

Well now I guess I beg to differ !! What's the problem ?? It's pretty simple. The fact we are headed into 'recession times' sometime within the middle of the year (which has been estimated) It causes concern to wonder WHY would a company send their employees on a business trip that was not really necessary ?? I again say ... 'No wonder his employer is closing this warehouse location' ... because most companies are cutting back ANY unnecessary costs right now, so they can save their profit margins. If the company is concerned about their over-spending and how to try to save money (before the recession may hit) then isn't it rather pointless to have the employees attend a business trip when there's no benefit for them going ?? Look at the actual unemployment rate ... people are losing their jobs faster than they can STAY in a current position. You wanna talk insecurity ?? I think her boyfriend's employer is insecure about their future. Closing his warehouse location may only be a start of what's destined to come in the near future for the company's other warehouses. It could be a possible assumption for an unstable employer's market. :hmm:

MsMofoGone said:

Well now I guess I beg to differ !! What's the problem ?? It's pretty simple. The fact we are headed into 'recession times' sometime within the middle of the year (which has been estimated) It causes concern to wonder WHY would a company send their employees on a business trip that was not really necessary ??

So your concern is about the economy?

Should this be in FYM?

Guess what I just did? I just went and checked to see if anyone ignores me. As of a few days ago, nobody did.

But, now, someone does!

Oooooooooooh, who could it be?!?!?!?

:hmm:

MsMofoGone said:

If you call an 'employer's market' ... the economy ... then yes, it is a concern about stability in future employment issues.

rimshot1.gif

tip your waitress on the way out folks.

MsMofoGone said:

Well now I guess I beg to differ !! What's the problem ?? It's pretty simple. The fact we are headed into 'recession times' sometime within the middle of the year (which has been estimated) It causes concern to wonder WHY would a company send their employees on a business trip that was not really necessary ?? I again say ... 'No wonder his employer is closing this warehouse location' ... because most companies are cutting back ANY unnecessary costs right now, so they can save their profit margins. If the company is concerned about their over-spending and how to try to save money (before the recession may hit) then isn't it rather pointless to have the employees attend a business trip when there's no benefit for them going ?? Look at the actual unemployment rate ... people are losing their jobs faster than they can STAY in a current position. You wanna talk insecurity ?? I think her boyfriend's employer is insecure about their future. Closing his warehouse location may only be a start of what's destined to come in the near future for the company's other warehouses. It could be a possible assumption for an unstable employer's market. :hmm:

So maybe they want to throw a big-ass party before they go under. Big fucking deal. The boyfriend isn't going to be employed there anymore so what the fuck does it matter if the entire company goes out of business?

So the guy wants a free trip to Atlanta. Big deal. Seriously if I got a free trip somewhere I wanted to go I'd sure as hell take it. I think his girlfriend is pissed off that he got something she didn't and is going to make him pay dearly for it. I still think he should dump her. If she's like this all the time she's gonna make his life miserable. Poor bastard. :(

No spoken words said:
Well, the truth is he's probably going to the mass amount of strip clubs.

Maybe he's trying to get a job warehousing strippers. :hmm:

I haven't read all six pages (fuck that, i barely read the original post), but i presume the following theories have been advanced:

- If the trip is paid for, why not get what he can out of the company while he still can
- He might be a professional guy who doesn't say "fuck you, i'm going to give up now"
- He wanted a break from his clingy girlfriend

coolian2 said:
I haven't read all six pages (fuck that, i barely read the original post), but i presume the following theories have been advanced:

- If the trip is paid for, why not get what he can out of the company while he still can
- He might be a professional guy who doesn't say "fuck you, i'm going to give up now"

if you'd read the whole thing you would have known we also threw in a hidden away hispanic, strip bars, the whole thing is a lie etc. etc.

Last edited:
coolian2 said:

I humbly suggest you go back and read it all. You'll not be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom