Bono is so hawt #1!*@&#^$%

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kate1 said:

Well get their privet email address then!!! Whats the point off being on a U2 fan if ur not a fan anymore :huh: :eyebrow: ! It doesn't even make sence!

Basstrap said he still likes U2. There is more to this forum than just talking about U2 which he also stated the plethora of other forums that offer non u2 discussions He has been a member here for years, how long have you been here? I don't really think its anyones place to tell someone they shouldn't be here. :shrug:

Anyway, I can't remember the last time I participated in any conversation that had anything to do with U2, I think a lot of people here would say that too, when everyone joined it was because they were interested in the band but I have met some wonderful people here and enjoy going and chatting with them. :up: I know that once a new album is released/ new tour announced there will be plenty of threads I would like to participate in. What really annoys me here is seeing people who want to follow the band and would come here just to sit outside their house/ record studios, I have NEVER understood why someone would do that, I have lived here for 19 years and have been to Dublin umpteen times, I have never wanted to go and look for the band. :slant: I like U2's music, that is it. I have learnt to just ignore the threads that talk about all these rumours about the new album/ tour, I will get excited when I see this new album in the cd shop with my own eyes. :up:

Salome said:
I am not entirely sure who should learn to deal with what though

I don't gush over Bono nor over U2
but I can't say it bothers me when that happens over here
since this is in fact a U2 forum :ohmy:

if not here then where should people who idolize the band go?
a radiohead forum?

:up: Well said. It's amazing that threads about U2 are the topic here.

Reminder to public: IT'S A U2 FORUM!

I don't think anyone has said here that they hate U2 or they have forgotten that this is a U2 forum. I think some folk are just fed up with the way people act about the band or seeing the same pointless threads with album/ tour/ where Bono is visiting/ how great Bono is rumours. Just because its a U2 forum doesnt mean someone has to like every single thing about the band/ it's fans. Some people may grow to not like U2 as much as they did but they will still come here. That happens at lots of band forums, I'm sure.

Ok, I'll be quiet now. :|

I saw Guided by Voices last night. I was up front with a friend who wanted to take photos of the show. After the opening band finished, my firend turned to me and said "I think I am going to hate the Guided By Voices fans tonight."

I felt the same way.

Why am I mentioning this? I think this fanatasicm Bassy talks about is not restricted to U2 fans alone. Or at least for me. I think it is any band/artist/whatever. People develop these obsessions where they can find the smallest minute detail in life (a bug on the ground or a monkey swinging from a tree) reminding them of their obsession.

The Internet has magnified this.

Now....with that being said...I have to say that my love for U2 drove me to this site. What got me to post here as often as I do was the off-topic forums and the friendships I have developed through this site. This site could have been a passing fancy for me if it weren't for a meet-up at the Vegas Elevation show. And I look forward to the meet-up at the next tour.

zoney! said:
People develop these obsessions where they can find the smallest minute detail in life (a bug on the ground or a monkey swinging from a tree) reminding them of their obsession.

I was so totally like this... when I was 14. :der:

Not to take anything away from the 14 year olds here, but yeah, we all have our varying degrees of fanaticism. Some gush over Bono, some spend ridiculous amounts of money following them on tour. :wink:

I'm sure when the new album comes out we'll all be back into the swing of the U2 universe, but for now, it's just simply not on some of our minds.

it's amazing how often this thread is posted by different people.

I have mixed feelings about some of the comments here, but I think I understand basstrap's basic frustration.:yes:

The "U2 community" is very large, composed of people of vastly different ages, backgrounds, nationalities and experiences. What unites us is the Love and Respect we have for U2, their music and their humanity.:up:

But in this community there appears to be two general "types" of people: those of us who are mainly centered on the minutia of U2 (their personal lives, the details of their songs, the technical aspects of their tours, etc) and those of us who attempt to be "a bit more" while still retaining our interest in U2.

Maybe that means we find ways to give back to our world. Maybe that means we expand our awareness of world affairs. But we have a life outside of what we say and do at this site and/or other U2 sites.:hug:

I would LOVE to see basstrap participate MORE in the various forums at Interference - I truly think some of our "star-crossed" posters would BENEFIT from basstrap's ideas and cynicism. I know that I have gotten raked over the coals a few times by posters who could not see past the B-man's crouch!:ohmy:

While we ALL have the right to be here and to offer our ideas (as long as we are respectful of each other), we should be finding ways to come together (TO BE ONE) and support each other. :)

So, basstrap, PLEASE don't leave us. Just find the forums where you find others who have your level of maturity - WE ARE HERE AT INTERFERENCE!

And I mean no offense to any one with this post. Remember:

WE'RE ONE, BUT WE'RE NOT THE SAME. WE GET TO CARRY EACH OTHER.;) :heart: :heart: :angel:

Salome said:
I am not entirely sure who should learn to deal with what though

I don't gush over Bono nor over U2
but I can't say it bothers me when that happens over here
since this is in fact a U2 forum :ohmy:

if not here then where should people who idolize the band go?
a radiohead forum?

yes salome, the biting sarcasm of your posts is noted, as always

I understand what you are saying and with this I shall lay this sweet little thread to rest.

I know what this place is, I know if bono idolotry is going to occur it should occur here of all places, and I know people shouldn't go to a radiohead website to say how much they love u2.

all I am CONFESSING is that it annoys me
I'm glad people here aren't priests

I think me and you salome, at least, could have a mature conversation about the brilliance of Sort of Homecoming, maybe one of their best songs ever

Jamila said:
I have mixed feelings about some of the comments here, but I think I understand basstrap's basic frustration.:yes:

The "U2 community" is very large, composed of people of vastly different ages, backgrounds, nationalities and experiences. What unites us is the Love and Respect we have for U2, their music and their humanity.:up:

But in this community there appears to be two general "types" of people: those of us who are mainly centered on the minutia of U2 (their personal lives, the details of their songs, the technical aspects of their tours, etc) and those of us who attempt to be "a bit more" while still retaining our interest in U2.

Maybe that means we find ways to give back to our world. Maybe that means we expand our awareness of world affairs. But we have a life outside of what we say and do at this site and/or other U2 sites.:hug:

I would LOVE to see basstrap participate MORE in the various forums at Interference - I truly think some of our "star-crossed" posters would BENEFIT from basstrap's ideas and cynicism. I know that I have gotten raked over the coals a few times by posters who could not see past the B-man's crouch!:ohmy:

While we ALL have the right to be here and to offer our ideas (as long as we are respectful of each other), we should be finding ways to come together (TO BE ONE) and support each other. :)

So, basstrap, PLEASE don't leave us. Just find the forums where you find others who have your level of maturity - WE ARE HERE AT INTERFERENCE!

And I mean no offense to any one with this post. Remember:

WE'RE ONE, BUT WE'RE NOT THE SAME. WE GET TO CARRY EACH OTHER.;) :heart: :heart: :angel:

that was a sweet post, mi'lady, thank you :wink:

I hate people who gush over Bono or Edge, or the band as a whole. I like people who gush over the music and concerts. For me it's all about the art, not the artist.

u2 can do no wrong! are you people telling me this isn't true! :sad: well you're wrong. :madspit: must worship band! must talk for hours about pointless news like how bono lost his favorite hat! must praise u2!:shifty:

but seriously guys this is a u2 forum and thats why we talk about u2. sure it gets boring sometimes but you don't have to spend your intire life here. go read or watch tv and maybe you won't be sick of it any more. my opinion is you spend to much time here.

i see your point but there are a lot of fans who are intrested in what the band are doing and have alot to say about different things as well. i'm not here that often and i don't see anything wrong with the people here talking about u2 because, afterall, this is a u2 forum.

i only come around here because i think Basstrap is #%@#%$# HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's too bad there isn't a "Bassy is @#%@$@! HAWT" forum. . .'cause, ya know, i don't know where to post all the half-naked Bassy pics stored on my computer!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

TripThruUreWires said:
i only come around here because i think Basstrap is #%@#%$# HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's too bad there isn't a "Bassy is @#%@$@! HAWT" forum. . .'cause, ya know, i don't know where to post all the half-naked Bassy pics stored on my computer!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

:up: :drool: :up:

Lara Mullen said:
I don't think anyone has said here that they hate U2 or they have forgotten that this is a U2 forum. I think some folk are just fed up with the way people act about the band or seeing the same pointless threads with album/ tour/ where Bono is visiting/ how great Bono is rumours. Just because its a U2 forum doesnt mean someone has to like every single thing about the band/ it's fans. Some people may grow to not like U2 as much as they did but they will still come here. That happens at lots of band forums, I'm sure.
:up: this pretty much sums up my sentiments.

:laugh:

So Kirk is basically talking about PLEBA - I haven't seen any huge idolizing in EYKIW. (I don't post in there as often as I used to, but I like going to where the album has no name for news). Well, it is a U2 forum and it's only natural some girls are into the band's looks (also, AND the music).

:hug:

zoney! said:
I saw Guided by Voices last night. I was up front with a friend who wanted to take photos of the show. After the opening band finished, my firend turned to me and said "I think I am going to hate the Guided By Voices fans tonight."

I felt the same way.

GBV are on their farewell tour, so it's natural some people get excited or desperate because that will be their last chance. My 18 year old son is huge fan and they have influenced him into starting a band of that style. We're trying to get to one of their last shows.

The Internet has magnified this.

I know it has. I have been a U2 fan since 1981, but was never more obsessed than in 2001. I wanted to go to more shows and for the first time had a driving desire to touch the band, and meet the band. I completely 'blame' the internet for that, reading meeting stories and concert reports on the mailing lists influenced me to try for that thrill myself. Well, I did touch them, but I didn't meet them. I was literally crushed and devastated when my last attempt failed. Then I realized it was a dream I had to give up so it would stop hurting. I will not be chasing them around, sitting outside the arenas till 3AM, or stalking their hotels. I wish it had happened, but I will not put myself through it anymore.

There are all levels of fans. For me, it's looks and music, and yeah, meeting the band would be nice. For some, the music is enough. I would say most of them are not here now. There are people for whom the music is so important they have to discuss every single rumor and speculation about the upcoming album. There are people who, after they have met the band can't get enough and must spend every single spare vacation day running back to Hanover Quay as if they feel they have to personal friends with the band, becoming so familiar they are recognized by the band members. There were people who had to literally follow the band around and be in the front row and nearly every show, camping out for more than a day if they had to secure that spot. The band is important to us in different ways. I don't know how to say this except some are much more, avid than others and just because you are not a certain type of fan don't look down on someone else who is.

Being a fan of a band or someone doesn't mean you gotta think this person is hot or you gotta suport everything this person does.

I'm a fan of U2, being a fan of U2 I'm a fan of Adam, Larry, Edge and Bono as well, but having Bono doing politicial things doesn't make me like him less or like him more, it's something of his own, he likes to do it, maybe is a deal he has with himself.

I love them all for their work, for the songs, not for their attitude out of their work.
I do listen to them every day, every cd, when I get tired of one, I start listening to another one, and so on...

And probably is not a "imature" thread of some other people who likes them that's gonna make me stop being a fan.

Basstrap, I understand the impulse that drove you to start this thread. I sympathise.

Likewise, I like U2. There was a time (say, 1993), when I would have called them my musical godhead, but that's long gone. Probably a healthy thing too.

I think to the extent I'm cynical these days, it's the extent to which U2 seem to now conduct their career in slow-motion. You're either a working band or you're not. They are 'allowed' to take as long as they want, but I'm also allowed to observe that there seems to be precious little momentum anymore.

Not to mention how tied up in day-to-day politics Bono is now. Sure I guess I admire his determination (which is quite separate from U2 the band), but it doesn't auger well for the music in my opinion. What exactly can you say about the world when you have to mind your mouth?

I cant believe I havent seen this thread until today. I'm really glad I found and read the entire thing. I admit, I feel those same frustrations that Basstrap and the majority of posters here have spoken of. It is interesting to see how many of us who really have been here quite a while and seem to post a lot dont really contribute that much to the U2 discussions, but I suppose it makes sense. I suppose the whole reason we stay around and still enjoy the site is because we do feel a sense of community and like the interaction with friends and acquaintances.

I admit, my level of U2-indifference has almost scared me at times. I can remember the not so distant time when I could live and breath U2, and now I have nearly no interest in them other than excitement for the upcoming album. I almost felt crushed when I recently randomly heard one of their songs that I used to love, and I realized it did nothing for me now. It just feels plain weird to me sometimes to know that what used to be so important to me is just like any other band now, one of hundreds that I like. I still love their music, but I admit I really dont listen to them. I still tell people they're my favorite band, but I always let them know that I'm not really into them that much any more. I admit that I almost feel guilty for feeling that way about them now, hard to explain.

I know that my general "unenthusiastic fan" status/feelings are what generaly can make me annoyed with others who are presently in the "fanatic" status. Just recently I've kinda just realized that I've been there. I cant really blame anyone for being a huge fantatic of the band, because I know I was just like them for quite a while. I do think it's too bad that most of the sections of the forum that are the "off-topic" areas dont see much traffic from the "U2-fanatics", and vice-versa. I'm sure the discussions in each area could be far more interesting with input from many people in different levels of fanship. It seems that it's just more the regulars that post outside of the U2-only sections, which is understandable. I think I didnt even look at anything other than ETYKIW until I'd been visiting the forum for about 2 years. (That old Radiohead section caught my eye one day!!! Ah, memories!)

I really do think that both groups of fans really do seem to fit in and have their roles here though. Without the U2-fanatics, this wouldnt even be a U2 forum. Without the casual fans/former-fanatics (who mainly seem to be the old-timers/regulars/whatever you want to call them), there wouldnt be much of a sense of community and friendship around here. Over all, I really think this is a great community. People around here all seem to get along quite a bit better than other bands' forums that I know of, and treat each other quite a bit better too. I dont think it's a generalization at all to say that U2 fans, whatever their current level of fanship may be, really seem to be great people. I enjoy these forums thoroughly, and really do enjoy interacting with everyone else here. :up:

I doubt most of the stuff I wrote had any continuous sense of reason or flow to it, but this thread put it all in my head. Most will likely not read it anyways :wink:

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

I know that my general "unenthusiastic fan" status/feelings are what generaly can make me annoyed with others who are presently in the "fanatic" status. Just recently I've kinda just realized that I've been there. I cant really blame anyone for being a huge fantatic of the band, because I know I was just like them for quite a while. I do think it's too bad that most of the sections of the forum that are the "off-topic" areas dont see much traffic from the "U2-fanatics", and vice-versa. I'm sure the discussions in each area could be far more interesting with input from many people in different levels of fanship. It seems that it's just more the regulars that post outside of the U2-only sections, which is understandable. I think I didnt even look at anything other than ETYKIW until I'd been visiting the forum for about 2 years. (That old Radiohead section caught my eye one day!!! Ah, memories!)

I really do think that both groups of fans really do seem to fit in and have their roles here though. Without the U2-fanatics, this wouldnt even be a U2 forum. Without the casual fans/former-fanatics (who mainly seem to be the old-timers/regulars/whatever you want to call them), there wouldnt be much of a sense of community and friendship around here. Over all, I really think this is a great community. People around here all seem to get along quite a bit better than other bands' forums that I know of, and treat each other quite a bit better too. I dont think it's a generalization at all to say that U2 fans, whatever their current level of fanship may be, really seem to be great people. I enjoy these forums thoroughly, and really do enjoy interacting with everyone else here. :up:

:yes::applaud:

I share much of the same sentiment.

In between tours, though I am never primarily a U2 fan - I listen to tons of other stuff, get crazy excited about seeing other bands live, etc so in that sense I don't experience the burnout as much.

As for PLEBA - I think it's a nice place for those who enjoy it. I don't and frankly I think Bono's hair is so hideous at the moment that I would like nothing more than to shear him like a sheep. The gushing squicks me out because I was never the type to follow the band for that reason but I wouldn't hold it against those who love this sort of thing, so I just don't venture on those forums.

There is a lot of apathy nowadays and maybe it will change when the new album comes out. Once and always hope.

As for Bono, I think he is going about his activism partially in the wrong way - he's forgotten about the little people and it's them he needs because politicians will never march in the streets for anything. But I still admire him greatly for being a man of principle.

Now off to listen to some Orbison...

Even the most die hard fan could find a confession within themselves that the gushing and fawning is a little tiring. I dont think Basstrap was trying to declare anything ground breaking here by admitting his enthusiasm has waned and now he's a little jaded to the whole celebrity and aesthetics of the band. Not that I think he's ever gushed about their looks...lol.

Let people have their say. Of all confessions, it is probably the most applicable as this is a U2 forum. Thankfully we do have many other areas on this board so people like Bassy, myself even and others who feel the same, can keep in touch with the unbroken bonds which still tie us to this band, even though we're nowhere near the same fan we once might have been.

Lara Mullen said:

What really annoys me here is seeing people who want to follow the band and would come here just to sit outside their house/ record studios, I have NEVER understood why someone would do that, :slant:

I like U2's music, that is it. I have learnt to just ignore the threads that talk about all these rumours about the new album/ tour, I will get excited when I see this new album in the cd shop with my own eyes. :up:

:up:

Back
Top Bottom