Blown away b/c it's someone I know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FitzChivalry said:
For those of you married, how long could you wait? How long could you endure something like this?

If my husband copped a plea for having sex multiple times with a student, there is no chance in hell I would wait for anything except the divorce papers. Not only was he unfaithful, he committed criminal acts, had sex with a child, and then lied about it.

Your poor friend must be truly devastated, Fitz. She's going to need a good friend like you.

The husband, however, can go rot.

^^ unfaithful is unfaithful, whether with a student, prostitute, co-worker, who-ever. I don't think I could ever trust this person as a partner again. Having said that there's nothing to stop your friend still being there for her child's father, he'll need all the friends he can get.

martha said:
If my husband copped a plea for having sex multiple times with a student, there is no chance in hell I would wait for anything except the divorce papers. Not only was he unfaithful, he committed criminal acts, had sex with a child, and then lied about it.
i'm not married now, but i have been so i think i can weight on this a little :wink:

i agree with this totally. now if we're just talking about any crime in general, then yeah i'd wait. i'm a loyal person. but i absolutely draw the line at cheating, ESPECIALLY with a minor. that's completely inexcusable. and if my husband ever came to me and told me he'd slept with a minor, if the authorities didn't know, i'd probably report him. maybe that's wrong of me but i wouldn't be doing it out of malice, i'd do it because i'd feel it'd be my responsibility as a citizen.

anyway, i'm so sorry to hear about this fitz and your friend will definitely be in my thoughts. she's incredibly lucky to have a friend like you who's going to be there to support her.

i can only imagine how shocking all this is, to just essentially have your view of a friend completely shattered by an allegation.

Well, I still haven't heard from her. But that doesn't surprise me. I told her to take all the time she needs.

Since we graduated from college, about 8 or 9 years ago, I see her about once or twice a year. In the first few years after college I saw her more, but it has lessened over the years. We talk on the phone every 2 or 3 months; again, in the beginning years after college it was more frequent.

However, even with dimishing contact, when we do get together, after a 1/4 hour, it's just like old times and we can tell each other anything. Almost like we were back in college.

I'm not the type to force myself or my friendship upon anyone. So far, she's leaned most heavily on her family and her close teacher friends. She hasn't really leaned on me much. But if she needs to, I'll be there for her.

I don't know what's going through her head right now. As of the last time I talked to her, she felt her husband was 100% innocent and that this now-18 year-old girl was maliciously ruining their lives. She believes her husband so much. I don't know if she can still do that after Friday's plea, but . . . . with such a harsh sentence, I don't know how much longer she can deny the seemingly overwhelming evidence.

I want to hear from her because I want to know where's she's at mentally and emotionally. But on the other hand, I'm a bit scared to hear from her because I know there's going to be nothing I can say at all to lessen her pain or fear.

I talked to my friend today. She's obviously just blown away and really upset, but she held it together so well, until the very end her voice broke a little.

She still believes 100% in her husband's innocence and feels they were trapped in a corner with no other option but to take the plea.

She did say that she wanted as many people at his sentencing to vouche for his good character as possible, and that she'd like it if I could go. Plus we both said that we need to hang out soon as she *really* needs to get out.

But she did sound like she was trying to keep things together for her son. She's put him in swimming and he's in soccer and she goes to all his games and is the total soccer mom.

She just feels like she's been hit by a truck that came out of nowhere and has turned her whole world upside down and all around.

She sounded stronger than I think I would be in the same situation. God bless her.

Anyway, that's the news for now.

I recently found out that two boys I grew up with got molested by their Dad for years. They used to live two houses down and the family was real secretive. The kids were latchkey but not allowed to come out side or let anyone in to play. Once the Dad drove up and caught me and another kid talking to them thru the window and went postal on them.

Then when we were teenagers, we went in the house when the parents weren't home and the boys were digging thru the parent's bureau drawers for something and we saw all these 2 way dildo belts. People always suspicioned both parents were gay, and this was proof. She played the part of the man, he played the part of the woman and it worked for them. But sadly he also molested both boys. It wasn't found out until they were grown and the Dad went to jail. Right now the older son is in Iraq and his wife is pregnant by the younger brother. What a life.

martha said:

Your poor friend must be truly devastated, Fitz. She's going to need a good friend like you.

The husband, however, can go rot.

I totally agree with that. I hope your friend gets better though..

You're a good friend, Fitz. All of your comments, thoughts, observations throughout this whole thread have been so balanced and thoughtful. Her life sucks right now, there's no getting around that, and it may suck for a long time. But you sound like a bright light and maybe you can spend more time together now. Maybe that sounds kind of lame but I don't know what else to say. What a horrible situation. :hug:

Best wishes to your friend, Fitz. I hope she can begin rebuilding her life in time. Friends, and knowing others keep on caring, makes us stronger.

I had a favorite high school teacher get accused, arrested, and turn out to be innocent----after years of hardship and accusation. He was our AP Euro History teacher and he and his wife, a gym teacher at our school, took a bunch of students to Europe as a special class trip. This girl in my class wrote in her diary that she had sex with him on the trip, as well as at their house. Her mom found the diary and went to the principal. The principal called the police, my teacher was handcuffed and arrested IN CLASS, and charged. It was huge in the newspapers & even got mentioned on Howard Stern. We all knew he was innocent----first, he was just such a great guy and there was no way he would've done it....if you saw him and his wife interact, you'd know that they were too in love. Second ,the girl who accused him was nuts.....she once egged two police cars into a high speed chase, had gotten into several fights in school, etc. It was clear to us students that she was nuts and made it all up.

However, we were the only ones who stood by our teacher. His fellow teachers, including his best friends at the school, turned on him. He was suspended indefinitely----ultimately for three years. He ended up taking several odd jobs, none of which were teachin jobs even though he was a phenomenal teacher. His wife had to switch schools-----people wouldn't even sit with her at lunch anymore at the old school.

After about 6 years of grand juries and investigations, it was finally decided that there was absolutely no evidence that he ever had sex with the girl, and the charges were dropped. AFTER this couple's lives had been radically changed. What a bunch of crap.

oh utoo that is so sad :(
i also had a drama teacher in high school who was arrested and then sacked after a female student said he had forced himself on her one afternoon. He was so angry anf heartbroken. So many of us didn't believe it, and after a few weeks, the girl confessed she mad eit up as she was jealous of the attention he gave other femlae students. But still the damage was done.
He's never taught again.

Fitz, i think you are an amazing friend! Hang in there for her! :hug:

After talking to my friend, I guess her husband may not have to do the entire 12 years, 8 months.

County jail give credit-for-time-served, and it's 2-to-1, so for every month he spends in county before he's sentenced he gets 2 months CFTS. He was also under house arrest for several months, and there may be CFTS for that as well. Plus, with good behavior, he may only have to serve 1/2 the sentence, which would mean he could be out in about 5 years. That's MUCH better than 13 years!

I still don't know what to believe when it comes to his guilt or innocence. I keep going back and forth. And I do realize that there are strategic reasons besides guilt, for why a person may plead guilty to crimes they didn't commit. His wife's job and his wife and son's ability to be shielded from intense media is one huge reason that pops into mind.

Anyway, just thought I'd update.

Thank you all for your support and kind words. It's amazing how something like this has such a rippling effect and can affect people not closely tied to the situation.

You Interferencers rock with the support and understanding! Thank you. :wink:

I won't say anything about the man involved since I know nothing of the case, but I think it's great you are sticking with it for your friend and thinking about what her needs are. So many people I know would assume his guilt and then drop the friend so that they can just spare themselves the discomfort of the situation.

^ Wow, I can't believe someone would even do that. It's not even a second thought to me. I can't imagine abandoning my friend in her greatest time of need.

Granted, we're not as close as we were in college. But we were great friends at one time and I do still care about her a great deal. I just couldn't imagine turning my back on her now of all times.

To be honest, I am a bit uncomfortable at going to her husband's Sentencing. It just seems like a horrible thing to attend. But my friend asked if I would be there to support them, so I've already arranged for the day off, and I will be there to support her and her family. It's really the least I can do.

FitzChivalry said:
To be honest, I am a bit uncomfortable at going to her husband's Sentencing. It just seems like a horrible thing to attend. But my friend asked if I would be there to support them, so I've already arranged for the day off, and I will be there to support her and her family. It's really the least I can do.

I think it just goes to show what a wonderful caring friend you are :hug:

Hope your friend,husband and son are able to get through the coming years ok :hug:

So my friend has asked me to write a letter on behalf of her husband (they're filing divorce papers today) that will be used by the parole board when that time comes.

I'm doing it to support her, and I don't really hate or loathe him, but honestly I'm kind of at a loss of what to say. I guess they want more anecdotal type stories, but he and I never really hung out on our own that much. I'm always been her friend, and his mostly by association.

I mean, I've seen him plenty, but always with her around. I guess I'll just write about that, it's all that I really can attest to.

I told her I can't believe how she's supported and championed him this whole year, right up to the end.

She told me, she NEVER thought she would've stood by someone who did this to her, but that in the past year she's really and truly learned what unconditional love means. They've been a couple for 13 years, married for 7, and it took this for her to find her true inner strength. Wow.

She's going through a really hard time right now. It's killing her to divorce her best friend.

But he could be sent anywhere, for God knows how long. She won't be able to see or visit him. Right now she sees him every Friday and Sunday. After he gets sentenced next month, she will only be able to write to him. She knows she can't keep up a marriage on that alone.

She told me it's so hard ending it when neither of them wants to end it, but both know they have to.

:sad:

Wow. Again, this just keeps on sucking, so hard.

And now I get to go write my testimonial letter. yea.

Last edited:
I finished. Here's my letter (redacted a bit):

To Whom It May Concern:

I write this letter, not because I have to, but because I want to. I write this in the hopes that those with decision-making powers will read this and understand, as I do, that mankind and this man, my friend P, is imperfect, but that his imperfections do not, and should not be deemed to, erase the warmth, goodness and kindness that co-exist within my friend, and within every one of us. I write this about a good man who made a very bad decision, but who is nonetheless, still, a good man.

I met P and his wife (then girlfriend), C, at the beginning of the fall 1995 semester at the University of California, Irvine (“UCI”). C and I were housemates in a co-ed, academic-themed housing residential community named Arroyo Vista. We were both assigned to Humanities Transfer House along with fourteen other foreign exchange, transfer or humanities university students.

During that school year P lived in Los Angeles County, however, he did not attend school full-time and he had a job with very flexible hours. As a result, he had lots of spare time to come out to UCI and visit C. Often he would spend the night, a day or two, or the weekend with C and us.

We were a tight-knit house that year; we got along famously and, apart from our studies, did several outings, trips and activities together as a giant group. We dubbed ourselves “T-House!,” and one of our housemates, an Art major, even designed a logo for T-House for which we eventually made t-shirts that all of us in the house wore, including P. That year P was around so much so that, even though he did not attend UCI, we all felt like he was part of our house, and we liked him as much as we liked one another.

I remember many nights at T-House where a group of us would gather, including P, and just huddle on the floor in the hall, or in someone’s room, or on the balcony and have lengthy, in-depth conversations. Or we would get together in someone’s room or the common room downstairs and all watch a favorite show like “X-Files”.

As C, P and I became closer friends, I was eventually introduced to their hometown, family and friends. I found myself going up to the _____ area more often to hang out with them and their family and friends. We all shared a love of the same music and groups and we went to many concerts together. We would also go out to dinners, to the movies; all the fun things and nighttime thrills that young kids do together.

My impression of P during that time, and my continuing impression of him, is that he thought the world of C; she was his sun, moon and stars. He was loving and devoted to her, and warm and kind to her friends. If they fought or had an argument, he was usually the first to forgive and make-up. He has always struck me as very intelligent, very warm, compassionate and easy-going person. He is very comfortable to be around and I’ve always felt that I could just be myself around him without any judgment from him.

After C and I’s time at UCI was successfully completed, she moved back home and started to begin her career as a schoolteacher, while P was beginning his academic career at University of California, Los Angeles (“UCLA”) and I was contemplating going to law school. We kept in contact and I would often drive up to their area to hang out and go to shows and dinners with C, P and their friends. Eventually, P and C became engaged, and they asked me to be a groomsmen in their wedding.

I remember, quite clearly, the morning of their wedding. It was just P and I in his apartment. We were just talking as we got dressed and prepared for the wedding. I was straightening the tie of his tuxedo, and I just remember how nervous, but excited he was. He told me how he just knew marrying C was the best decision he would ever make and that he wanted to do right by her and finally start their lives together, properly. I loved that day and their wedding. It’s one of my favorite memories; everyone happy and celebrating. I felt like part of the family.

And I have always been treated as part of the family. After P and C had their son "I", I was always welcomed over to their house and called “Uncle”. I spent time just visiting at their home and playing with I, or we would all go to Disneyland for the day. For C’s 30th surprise birthday party, P called me up personally to make sure I would be there and to run the details of the party past me.

Today, I still believe in P, because I don’t believe that people are as uncomplicated as black and white. I continue to have the same impression that I’ve always had about him, that he is a devoted and loving family man and that C, and now "I", remain his sun, moon and stars.

I believe he made a grave mistake and had a serious lapse in judgment, however, I do not believe in any way, shape or form that he is evil or malignant or a threat to society. I believe his felony was an isolated event leaning heavily on a unique set of circumstances and environment. I trust P completely. I would trust him alone with my fifteen year-old sister. I would trust him with my de-facto “nephew”, my best friends’ son, who means the world to me.

I have witnessed P consistently, over many, many years be a great boyfriend, fiancée, husband and father and friend.
It is sad that he fell victim to one of man’s oldest and most ingrained temptations, but I do not believe that alone negates or disqualifies the substance, unique character and goodness innate within this man.

I believe that P is a kind, loving and warm person who faltered and ventured down a disastrous road.

I thank you for your time and consideration of this letter in support of P’s character and goodness. Please feel free to contact me at any time in the future with requests for additional information or verification of my continued support.

Sincerely,

/s__________
Ethan Ysais
Attorney at Law

Last edited:
^
Agreed. You are a very good friend. :hug:

I hope the best for your friend.

EDIT: you know what, I'm deleting all that, because it's none of my business, and you haven't given any of the facts, to be honest. Alot of anecdotal/character stuff that in the face of hard evidence really means nothing.

But for the record, I think what you did with that letter is dead wrong and completely inappropriate.

I pity the teacher that ever gets involved with my daughter, no matter how the fuck it goes down.

Last edited:
I just want to add something: if he is still proclaiming his innocence, that means that he is most likely not going to follow thru on the counselling/rehabilitation that teachers who fuck their students CLEARLY need??

That is really troubling.

Back
Top Bottom