Bitter, jealous, can't stand it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butterscotch

War Child
I am feeling all these things because I have 2 friends who are getting more money in government checks for their alleged insanity than I am for working. I cannot even bring myself to feel as guilty as you might think I should because I don't think I'm wrong. If these young women were really handicapped or unable to function I would not feel this way, but other than a few quirky hangups- haven't we all got them, I know I do- they are otherwise normal. They sit around playing Wii and facebook games all week. One of them has phone and internet sex while her bf is at work and he knows it but he won't throw her out because he knows he can't pay the bills without her crazy check. The other one lives free in a rental of her slumlord dad so on top of getting all that money she doesn't even owe any rent and is free to spend her check on luxuries. Their checks amount to a couple hundred more a month than what my current pathetic job is paying. I see no reason why they can't do the same job I am doing, and I could whine about my puppy dying when I was 6 and being afraid to go out of the house too and get free money but I have too much pride I guess. So maybe it is my fault, but I still am so sick that they are getting free money for basically nothing while I toil away for less that I am having a hard time maintaining any relationship with them (I have known them both since grade school) In all honesty, they make me sick. Should I tell them how I feel, or just drop them and not say why?

i hear you. it's infuriating to know of people who just leech off the government. even better is when they act like they're somehow above anyone else who does this and talks shit about them. people like you have an honest job and work hard for the life you have while they buy their fifth iphone and whine about not having enough money to take some vacation.

anyway yeah i'll echo what everyone else says, i'd suggest distancing yourself from them. if you're one of those kind of people (i don't mean that in a bad/judgemental way at all, but some think this is petty and immature, others don't) you could consider reporting them to the appropriate government agency.

anyway yeah i'll echo what everyone else says, i'd suggest distancing yourself from them. if you're one of those kind of people (i don't mean that in a bad/judgemental way at all, but some think this is petty and immature, others don't) you could consider reporting them to the appropriate government agency.

~ I agree; if you feel that strongly about it you could highlight their abuse to the relevant authorities and leave it up to the universe; karma often has its own rewards :)

Higher-quality friends might be the solution.

Martha :cute: ~ absolutely!

Thanks :hug: You're all right. I'm just going to stop answering calls, texts and not talk to them on facebook anymore. Maybe they'll just go away.

I am feeling all these things because I have 2 friends who are getting more money in government checks for their alleged insanity than I am for working. I cannot even bring myself to feel as guilty as you might think I should because I don't think I'm wrong. If these young women were really handicapped or unable to function I would not feel this way, but other than a few quirky hangups- haven't we all got them, I know I do- they are otherwise normal. They sit around playing Wii and facebook games all week. One of them has phone and internet sex while her bf is at work and he knows it but he won't throw her out because he knows he can't pay the bills without her crazy check. The other one lives free in a rental of her slumlord dad so on top of getting all that money she doesn't even owe any rent and is free to spend her check on luxuries. Their checks amount to a couple hundred more a month than what my current pathetic job is paying. I see no reason why they can't do the same job I am doing, and I could whine about my puppy dying when I was 6 and being afraid to go out of the house too and get free money but I have too much pride I guess. So maybe it is my fault, but I still am so sick that they are getting free money for basically nothing while I toil away for less that I am having a hard time maintaining any relationship with them (I have known them both since grade school) In all honesty, they make me sick. Should I tell them how I feel, or just drop them and not say why?

What country are you in?

I know for the United States, absolutely do what KhandaRhodes suggests and alert the relevant government agency to the issue.

Granted, we don't know exactly how your friends/leeches went about getting that ever so critical screwed up label attached, but it wouldn't hurt to bring some more scrutiny onto it. Maybe, if the situation is as you say and they really are bullshitting, that will come out under review. I mean, "insane" is a very high threshold to meet in the US, and I highly doubt the free loading luxury wielding friends of yours meet it.

Employment law in the US, to put it cruel and blunt(which I am not, btw) basically says, and gov't agencies take the same view, "because you have a learning disability/other minor or controllable mental issue, it doesn't mean you can't dig a hole."

Long short of it, you have to be legit physically/mentally disabled under a pretty strict standard.

Sadly, even under the tightest, most effective at getting aid to only those truly deserving system, people will slip through the cracks.

It's certainly worth a try alerting the authorities, but the sad reality is that not every problem has a legislative solution.

As for you, just take pride in the fact that you are working for what you have and know that as time goes on, good things will likely come out of that. You say you have a "pathetic" job, well, your friends are much more deserving of that description.

You will make A HELL OF A LOT more than the government checks they get by continuing to be responsible, it's just a matter of time. It's tough in 2011, but not too many times have been tougher........

It's a tough economy, but you sound like a hard working/intelligent person and as things improve, hopefully you have a better job in short order!

Good luck, and hang in there!

Higher-quality friends might be the solution.

I agree and was going to say the same. It is agravating that some people who are not disabled live on the dole. I have Panic Disorder and take meds everyday of my life to control my seizure like symptoms. I do not collect diability or welfare. My husband works full time and I work part time. Even though my medical condition is a real one. I don't feel right about taking free money from someone else who needs it more.

No job is pathetic. It's hard work and an honest paycheck. Be proud of your self.

Back
Top Bottom