Birth Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking about trying the Ring or just going the tubal route. Actually, I've been reading up on Essure and that seems like a great idea. Has anyone had that done?

BonosBaby12 said:
Im sorry I would have laughed too Mirror :lol:

words cannot express exactly how funny that whole 'fight' was....i was like "um, honey, unless you're the virgin mary, then you cant get pregnant without having sex" and shes like "Nuh uh! You can get pregnant without having sex if you're on the pill. I'm a woman, trust me, I know!"
Needless to say that was the beginning of the end of our relationship...

There has been some issue with the ring slipping out of position, for what it's worth. And you have a limited window of opportunity wrt putting it back in before it becomes ineffective.

Can someone explain what is so different about your generic brands in the US? Either generic brands mean something different over there, or I'm not following. Here, generics are still the same core product, same ingredients, same strength, same S rating etc etc., but are made for cheaper with crappy packaging and some government assistance. When you take your script to the chemist they usually ask "Do you want the yuppy rip off, or welfare pauper version?" :wink: I dont know anyone who takes the expensive option when the cheaper is available.

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
Can someone explain what is so different about your generic brands in the US? Either generic brands mean something different over there, or I'm not following. Here, generics are still the same core product, same ingredients, same strength, same S rating etc etc., but are made for cheaper with crappy packaging and some government assistance. When you take your script to the chemist they usually ask "Do you want the yuppy rip off, or welfare pauper version?" :wink: I dont know anyone who takes the expensive option when the cheaper is available.
it's basically the same formula, just by a different brand. it's like name brand milk vs. store brand milk; store brand costs half as much.

i always pick generic if it's available, i've never had any problems with generics being less affective or giving me a bad reaction or anything like that.

Angela Harlem said:

They're not always the same strength. I know people who've used the generic of Ortho-Tri (Tri-sprintec) and have various problems, but no problems with the real thing. I think anitram knows more about how identical they really are/aren't....

Ah, that's what I dont get, though. They should work exactly the same as the name brand ones as these are manufactured strictly to adhere to regulations, no?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

They're not always the same strength. I know people who've used the generic of Ortho-Tri (Tri-sprintec) and have various problems, but no problems with the real thing. I think anitram knows more about how identical they really are/aren't....

Ah, ok. Now I see. It's slightly different here then. That's bodgey for you guys, though.

Angela Harlem said:
Ah, that's what I dont get, though. They should work exactly the same as the name brand ones as these are manufactured strictly to adhere to regulations, no?

I know nothing of this, so this is all speculation based on my own personal experience and what I've read from anitram, but I think when you're dealing with something as sensitive as hormones, even though the variations are slight (in order for one still to qualify as a generic of the other), it can make a big difference in certain women.

birth control is fairly cheap here....prob between $20 and 35/month and is covered by drug plans if you have one which i don't.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

No, they are the same "strength."

There are three different types of pills - monophasic, biphasic, triphasic. Basically, they differ in how the hormones are delivered on a daily basis. Monophasics deliver the same amount of hormone every day, for 21 days. Triphasics try to mimic the human hormone cycle by varying it. Different people have different preferences for them.

When it comes to "strength", usually that refers to the amount of estrogen delivered. Loestrin, for example, has a low estrogen content and women who try other pills and experience breakthrough bleeding may want to try it. But this is a brand-brand difference. If you have a generic form of Ortho-Tri, it will have the SAME amount of hormone in it.

Generics and brand names are identical in their chemical composition of active compounds. Their formula there is exactly the same. Where they differ is in the "fillers" - the non-medicinal components of the drug.

anitram said:

There are three different types of pills - monophasic, biphasic, triphasic. Basically, they differ in how the hormones are delivered on a daily basis. Monophasics deliver the same amount of hormone every day, for 21 days. Triphasics try to mimic the human hormone cycle by varying it. Different people have different preferences for them.

When it comes to "strength", usually that refers to the amount of estrogen delivered. Loestrin, for example, has a low estrogen content and women who try other pills and experience breakthrough bleeding may want to try it. But this is a brand-brand difference. If you have a generic form of Ortho-Tri, it will have the SAME amount of hormone in it.

Generics and brand names are identical in their chemical composition of active compounds. Their formula there is exactly the same. Where they differ is in the "fillers" - the non-medicinal components of the drug.

Interesting...how come one works and the other doesn't? For example, the generic gets rid of my migraines, BUT sometimes I have a period for two weeks straight, or I have a normal period (minus migraines) but the week before that I have cramps as if I was already having my period....and the non-generic doesn't give us these complications....

Maybe I'll switch to an entirely new drug altogether.

anitram said:

Generics and brand names are identical in their chemical composition of active compounds. Their formula there is exactly the same. Where they differ is in the "fillers" - the non-medicinal components of th
e drug.

I normally will use a generic drug but not for BC anymore.

I switched from the name brand right over to the generic it should have been exactly the same but it wasn't. I had terrible side effects and 3 week long periods. My pharmacist insisted they were identical. I tried it for several months and eventually went off it. The pharmacy had stopped carrying the brand name altogether.

You may have an adverse reaction to the fillers. The medicinal components are the same, but the remainder is not. You could be allergic to a component, or you could just have an intolerance to it.

I've never used generic BCPs, because there is no need to - brand name ones are cheap here and I have a drug plan through my employer so that I'm only paying the dispensing fee of a few bucks anyway.

LivLuv, you really shouldn't be having long periods or disrupted ones on the pill. If your periods last 2 weeks or you have breakthrough bleeding and so on, you might want to try a different brand of pill with a different composition and see if that works better for you. Some people are lucky and find one that works immediately, some test out 3-4 brands before finding one that works for them.

It does suck that Viagara would be covered and not pills. It seems that paying for the pills is cheaper than paying for prenatal care and babies!

I have never used pills in my life :faint: The hormones scare the hell out of me, and I cannot use them because of a blood clotting problem. If your period is on time it is easy to calculate the 'bad' days, there are only about 3 days a month you can even get pregnant. I have never been pregnant when I didn't want to be. I never understood all the fuss over birth control, the natural way works fine for me. Of course that's my body and yours may be different.

U2Kitten said:

I have never used pills in my life :faint: The hormones scare the hell out of me, and I cannot use them because of a blood clotting problem. If your period is on time it is easy to calculate the 'bad' days, there are only about 3 days a month you can even get pregnant. I have never been pregnant when I didn't want to be. I never understood all the fuss over birth control, the natural way works fine for me. Of course that's my body and yours may be different.

wow!

I take it for migraines. W/o birth control, during my period, I get two days of migraines and heavy bleeding, then three days of semi-heavy bleeding, then thre more days of migraines and not as much bleeding. On the pill, I don't get migraines (though I do get normal headaches) and the bleeding is not as heavy (but still lasts for 6-8 days). So basically, I get a more "normal" period when I'm on the pill, as opposed to a horrific one without.

As for predicting my cycle, I got my period when I was 11 and haven't grown since I was 13, so I've gotten good at predicting. Honestly, the pill has made my cycle more out of control, but it's not the off-schedule bleeding that bothers me, it's the migraines. Sometimes I bleed for two weeks straight and when I tell people, they're horrified, but honestly, this is no big deal as long as I don't have those five days of migraines!

Saturday was my last pill of my illegally bought supply, so I'm going back to the Dr. for a full exam and would like to try something new. The migraines going away has been excellent, but I'd rather not have my period for two weeks straight when I'm paying and fighting the insurance co. for these drugs.

That's one thing that scared me about them, everyone I know said it messed up their periods. Mine has always been a perfect 28 days and I didn't want to mess that up. Then once I had a blood clot and was told never to use them because the hormones in them can cause them if you are prone to them. I can actually tell when I'm ovulating, it feels like a little pinch. I could tell every time I got pregnant with my kids, and I can tell how and when not to get pregnant.

They stop migranes? That's a good use, I never thought of that. I knew a girl who had to take them because she had cramps so bad and the Dr. told her she had a collapsed uterus. Taking them inflated it back up, somehow :huh:

U2Kitten said:
Then once I had a blood clot and was told never to use them because the hormones in them can cause them if you are prone to them.

Yes, that alone is a very good reason not to use them, especially if your cycle is normal.

They stop migranes? That's a good use, I never thought of that. I knew a girl who had to take them because she had cramps so bad and the Dr. told her she had a collapsed uterus. Taking them inflated it back up, somehow :huh:

They help with mine, which I get 5 days of during my period. That's why I suspected it was related to hormones or something. For months, I'd been taking naproxen to control the migraines, but then everytime I took a naproxen, I'd get really bad chest and stomach pain, so I needed something else (I think naproxen can give you ulcers or dissolve your stomach lining if you're not careful). I do get crippling cramps for the first three days, but just an ibuprofen or two twice a day takes care of that.

The most annoying thing about my cycle is my PMS. I get a sore throat and minor cold-like symptoms 2 days before my period starts. The sore throat - it's my fail-safe indicator. I have it today actually - slightly sore throat, runny/stuffy nose, and runny eye. Weird, and annoying b/c I hate the sore throat and minor cold, especially if it's a cold season, or I'm already feeling tired or stressed, b/c then I get a real cold or sinus infection. I don't know how it all works, or if it's just a big coincidence, but I've always felt the few days before my period makes my immune system vulnerable or something b/call the times I've gotten really sick have started at this point in my cycle. Either that or my immune system is hyperactive or something. I get a fever and swollen glands in my neck when I get a tiny canker sore in my mouth!

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
That's one thing that scared me about them, everyone I know said it messed up their periods. Mine has always been a perfect 28 days and I didn't want to mess that up. Then once I had a blood clot and was told never to use them because the hormones in them can cause them if you are prone to them. I can actually tell when I'm ovulating, it feels like a little pinch. I could tell every time I got pregnant with my kids, and I can tell how and when not to get pregnant.

You're lucky then. I was NEVER been even close to regular, until I used the pill. Honestly, I could have anywhere from 3 month long periods to a year and a half without a period and just about everything in between. I really, really loved the year and a half without... I was thinking "life is good!" :) The three month period, however, was not fun at all, even though it was fairly light.

And I could never quite tell when it was gonna hit either, so I always had to be prepared. One good thing about that was I never really had cramps or bloating or migraines or anything like that. The down side was I got a few unpleasant surprises. :grumpy: And the last straw was when I had to go to the hospital (in the middle of the night of course -- shit always happens in the middle of the night -- because I was bleeding so heavily. I thought I was gonna pass out.

I did have to change dosages/types a few times, as one would work well for a while and then I would have a few problems and switch. But eventually they seem to have more or less straightened me out to the point I an fairly regular (every month to 6 weeks or so -- works for me) without them, which is nice, since I don't have insurance and don't have any other reason to need them right now. :( :shrug:

I used to be a lot like you, indra. Random periods, PMS free, and cramping free...but very unpredictable. I never knew when it would strike or for how long :madspit: But I could also go months without actually having a period too,. which was always really nice.
Then I started on birth control for birth control purposes and everything kind of went more haywire than before :huh:
But now that Ive been on seasonale for a little over 6 months its all evened out. No more spotting, no more hideously miserable periods. Only one fairly normal one once every 3 months.
I sometimes wonder what my body would be like had I not started on birth control at age 16, but its too late to find out! :shrug:
I do know that I could never rely on my body to tell me anything like U2Kitten's. What a lucky woman!

u2bonogirl said:
I used to be a lot like you, indra. Random periods, PMS free, and cramping free...but very unpredictable. I never knew when it would strike or for how long :madspit: But I could also go months without actually having a period too,. which was always really nice.
Then I started on birth control for birth control purposes and everything kind of went more haywire than before :huh:
But now that Ive been on seasonale for a little over 6 months its all evened out. No more spotting, no more hideously miserable periods. Only one fairly normal one once every 3 months.
I sometimes wonder what my body would be like had I not started on birth control at age 16, but its too late to find out! :shrug:
I do know that I could never rely on my body to tell me anything like U2Kitten's. What a lucky woman!

How's the Seasonale? I'm sort of interested in that, but I've heard it can take almost a year before it really starts to work (as far as regulating periods and PMS). I kinda wish I'd started Seasonale a year ago when I first went on the pill. Now I don't want to try anything too risky w/ a wedding coming up :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom