Best way to get in shape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the problem with "toning" is that you end up going to the gym and seeing 80% of women in there lifting 2 lb. and 5 lb. dumbbells because they are "toning" and don't want to bulk up. This is really just a lot of nonsense, and you do need to lift heavier weights even if you want to tone. Now you don't have to follow the "few reps @ very heavy weights" obviously like you would if you were body building, but you really do need to put some elbow grease into it.

Even with light weights, I would never have only a 24 hour rest period. It's totally impossible for muscle to repair itself in that short of a time, and you're not really doing anything constructive then. I actually probably wouldn't do anything inside of 72 hours.

I don't have much experience in losing weight/toning, as I'm actually on a gain program. But from listening to the personal trainers in the gym who are working with larger people, they are telling them don't use anything over 10-15lbs. And even that, more medicine balls, cardio, situps, etc than anything. I agree that 24 hrs is too short, but for losing weight and toning 72 hrs is defintely too long. Here's why: the 72 hr rest period is for muscle tissue repair. Simple toning isn't supposed to tear your muscles, it's just supposed to use them more than you would as a sedentiary couch potato (and by "you" I don't mean you personally lol), in order to build core strength. I also got clued into this because my son started weight training in the spring, but due to his age, he has to limit himself to lighter weights, even though if he tries he can lift 3 times what his program tells him. When it's time for him to start really gaining muscle mass, he'll move into the more serious stuff. He has completely lost his baby fat doing this, maybe even a couple of useless pounds, and he's looking toned and more athletic (mind you he's an elite athlete so that likely helps but that just lends to what I said about playing at least one sport).

If you feel pain in your muscles when you do simple toning with light weights, you need to notch it down a couple of pounds, or you will be entering into that rip and repair zone of bulking up. Therefore you aren't looking to gain muscle mass, you just want to have small increase in basic core strength and the muscle groups around the joints. There isn't alot of tearing and repairing involved in that (AFAIK). You should be doing toning with light weights every other day coupled with Cardio every day, in order to lose weight and stay toned.

Muscle gaining goals are a totally different ball game. WHen you really weight lift, you are ripping muscle tissue with every rep. It's supposed to hurt, and you're right, in that case, you want to rest at least a good 2 days if you do heavy weightlifting. And definitely consume at least min 20-28g of protein within the hour after you heavy weightlift.

If you really think about it, life doesn't really let people who are working out *really let their muscles repair. If I leg press 2 X my weight on a Monday...does that mean I can't run up the stairs until Wednesday or Thursday? Ride my bike on the hardest gear up a hill? It's pretty much the same thing :shrug:

Weight training combined with cardio workouts have worked best for me. I have also modified my diet and am on a 1500 calorie diet. I run at least 3 times a week and bike 2 times a week. I have been doing most these activities for over a year now and it has now become a part of my day to day routine. :up:

I do Pilates 3x a week and have been trying to incorporate more cardio. Am going to add the jumpboard to my routine. I was swimming laps 3-4 times a week but haven't done that lately.

I have zero willpower when it comes to food, though..that's why I am always 10 lbs. overweight. I like red wine and dark chocolate, but bread is my major downfall :drool: Luckily, I don't drink soda..only water.

I'm going to the gym with my roommate tonight. He's started going the last couple weeks with a friend. I also think I can convince him to go with me in the mornings once classes start, which would be very good for me

I'm also going to sign up for a martial arts class...any suggestions? there's Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan Karate, Judo...

Weight training combined with cardio workouts have worked best for me. I have also modified my diet and am on a 1500 calorie diet. I run at least 3 times a week and bike 2 times a week. I have been doing most these activities for over a year now and it has now become a part of my day to day routine. :up:

I was wondering, when do you do weight training if you're doing cardio 5x a week? Is it right after the cardio? Or do you do Cardio during one time of day and weight training on another?

I'm a big believer of incorporating weight training into your workout routine instead of doing just cardio. If you do nautilus circuit (a bunch of weight machines targeting different muscles of your body) you won't bulk up. Instead, that will tone your muscles so it can help you do cardio exercises for longer periods. At least that's what I've experienced.

Also what worked better for me is to do moderate exercise for longer periods of time rather than an intense exercise for a short period of time. If you can endure intense exercise for a long period (45 mins or more) then that's probably the best, but I wouldn't recommend that if you're only starting to exercise again...

If you're a member of a gym (or even at school), there should be a trainer who you can ask about what weights to use for each nautilus machine. Or make friends with a gym nut who already have knowledge about weight training.

I was wondering, when do you do weight training if you're doing cardio 5x a week? Is it right after the cardio? Or do you do Cardio during one time of day and weight training on another?

split them up between different times of the day, and do some of them on the 2 days you're not doing cardio. I like to do cardio in the morning because that's when I have the most energy, then weights in the evening, after work. I'm an early bird, so that schedule works best for me.

Or if I can't go 2x a day, I'd do weights first before cardio in the same session. My muscles are usually too tired right after cardio, and so I won't get the best results from my weights repetition if I do it after.

I don't have much experience in losing weight/toning, as I'm actually on a gain program. But from listening to the personal trainers in the gym who are working with larger people, they are telling them don't use anything over 10-15lbs.

Yeah, but usually large people have cardiovascular health issues, and that is the main reason for limiting their weights, not actually the bulking up process or that light weights are ideal for weight loss. It's more of a safety issue, at least until they've lost a decent amount of weight and their cardio stats go up.

I'm weary of toning for one reason - people think that they will see great results, but you really won't. It is true that your muscles will tone and your core strength will improve but you won't see the nice lines or muscle definition without some heavier weights. Especially for women, it is very difficult, and I know that I have spent a good two years working on specific parts of my body - especially biceps/triceps/delts. My back muscles are also really defined without looking scary at all. The thing is if you look at me, because I'm not bulging, you'd say that I'm toned, but in fact the look is not possible without some serious weight training. (No, 10-15 lbs are not going to do it, not over the long term).

So I think it's a question of what you want. Most people who have weight to lose concentrate on the cardio first, because you need to shed the fat to see anything anyway. But eventually when you get to your goal, if you want to have that athletic, toned body that you see in magazines, you will just have to lift more. And women, please don't be afraid of doing it, you won't look like men!

Yeah, but usually large people have cardiovascular health issues, and that is the main reason for limiting their weights, not actually the bulking up process or that light weights are ideal for weight loss. It's more of a safety issue, at least until they've lost a decent amount of weight and their cardio stats go up.

I'm weary of toning for one reason - people think that they will see great results, but you really won't. It is true that your muscles will tone and your core strength will improve but you won't see the nice lines or muscle definition without some heavier weights. Especially for women, it is very difficult, and I know that I have spent a good two years working on specific parts of my body - especially biceps/triceps/delts. My back muscles are also really defined without looking scary at all. The thing is if you look at me, because I'm not bulging, you'd say that I'm toned, but in fact the look is not possible without some serious weight training. (No, 10-15 lbs are not going to do it, not over the long term).

So I think it's a question of what you want. Most people who have weight to lose concentrate on the cardio first, because you need to shed the fat to see anything anyway. But eventually when you get to your goal, if you want to have that athletic, toned body that you see in magazines, you will just have to lift more. And women, please don't be afraid of doing it, you won't look like men!

All very true. And I do love a woman with some definition (not like those bodybuilding freaks that look like men though). Sounds like you have a good program going Anitram - you should post some pics...both as inspiration to others...ok, fine, I admit, for my gratification also...I just love women with defined calves and triceps :drool:

:wink:

LOL Gabe someone took a pic of me at dog training last weekend and I was like "OMG, I have calves again!" My dog weighs 67lbs and is still growing, plus about 3lbs of gear on him and holding a sleeve that weighs about 10lbs....that's some "free weight", lol.

I wish I had time to get back using the machines, it's just so much easier with all the cool machines gymns have now.

I wish I had time to get back using the machines, it's just so much easier with all the cool machines gymns have now.

:up:

Mine (newer Y in a fairly affluent neighborhood) has this USB key thingy, you go in, log in thereby downloading your day's routine on this terminal, and then each machine you go to dials up all the proper settings, adjusts seat to your height..shows you with each rep if your using proper speed and r.o.m..times your rest between sets and then when done, prompts you to move on to the next machine you have set up in your program. When your all done you go back to the terminal, save what you accomplished for the day and then it has all these extra functions like where you can look at charts of your progress and get suggestions, send/rcv msgs from your trainer and other members. Honestly this key, for someone like me that needs structure to keep consistent, is almost a necessity!

It works for all the cardio machines also, although I'm not doing a heck of alot of that. I find it actually saves me a ton of time, because I'm not looking for weights, putting them on bars, negotiating with other people who want to use the same weights, etc. I can get my entire workout done in 45 min to an hour now and thats full body, all muscle groups min 3 sets each machine (providing I don't do cardio). I love it!

:up:

Mine (newer Y in a fairly affluent neighborhood) has this USB key thingy, you go in, log in thereby downloading your day's routine on this terminal, and then each machine you go to dials up all the proper settings, adjusts seat to your height..shows you with each rep if your using proper speed and r.o.m..times your rest between sets and then when done, prompts you to move on to the next machine you have set up in your program. When your all done you go back to the terminal, save what you accomplished for the day and then it has all these extra functions like where you can look at charts of your progress and get suggestions, send/rcv msgs from your trainer and other members. Honestly this key, for someone like me that needs structure to keep consistent, is almost a necessity!

Wow, that's really cool! I've never heard of such a thing. I :heart: the future.

so after going to the gym for two days I already got a little action ... apparently it pays off quicker than I thought :lol: :sexywink:

I'm going to the gym again this morning :up: I've been trying some of the weight machines, fun stuff.

I am looking forward to hitting the trails again. My butt has been on workout hold since I returned from my vacation and now that I have been under the weather it is not helping. I hope to resume to workout routine sometime early next week.

With this said, I need to work better on incorporating my resistance training into my fitness schedule. My trainer recommended the site: coreperformance.com there are a lot of good workouts listed in there.

No joke, for me, when I stopped smoking pot for a little bit I dropped a good 5-10 lbs. Munchy-weight always shapes me into a hot potato. :(

:shifty: I heard making out burns quite a lot of calories...

I heard sex is a full body workout. :wink:

There's quite a few dance workouts on DVD nowadays when "On Demand" isn't available which keep anyone from getting bored with their current workout routine.
I have three different dance workout varieties, Carmen Electra's Fit to Strip, Island Girl's Hula and the Goddess workout (Belly dance).

No joke, for me, when I stopped smoking pot for a little bit I dropped a good 5-10 lbs. Munchy-weight always shapes me into a hot potato. :(

yeah i'm sure that doesn't help me either. it's probably good that I only have it every couple weeks this summer. as opposed to last summer ... every day ... twice a day ... :crack: during the school year though, not so much

today my workout was playing drums on Rock Band ... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom