baseball vs. music (advice needed)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I'm Ready

War Child
Should I choose baseball or Jazz Band for my highschool

for baseball close to mandatory pre-season workouts have begun and are a necessity for me to make the team in the spring

I also have been playing the drums for a couple of years and am interested in the jazz band, which meets once a week after school(interfering with the workouts)

the problems are that I could go to every single baseball workout, do my best, then not make the team

I have been playing baseball since kindergarten, but I've never been spectacular(but I have been good)

when it comes down to it I am better at drums, then baseball

but on the other hand for the Jazz Band, I could just join next year if I want to

since I love both it's a tough decision to make and I'm just looking for some imput

try out for baseball and start your own band :drool:

if you dont make the baseball team then do Jazz Band next year

Decide which people you like better -- the ones that go for baseball players or the ones that go for musicians. And then pick accordingly. :wink:

Do you want to be a baseball player, or in music when you grow up? Do you want to gear yourself more musically, or more atheletically?

And yeah, go by the people, too. How much time do you want to invest, as in, will jazz take more time, or bball take more time, and how much are you willing to spend for either or? What else do you have going on besides these two options? If so, how do those schedueles work together?

How do you want to look in the yearbook?

Are there any hotties in jazz?
Or on the baseball team, depending. Or in the stands, etc.

Will the college you go to in the future like sports or music better?

Would you rather spend more time indoors, under the lights, or outdoors in the fields?

There are lots of things to consider. But I've gone a bit overboard, so don't worry about it.

If they are both things you like, I guess you can't really go wrong, can you

jazz band, jazz band, jazz band!!

this from a musician so don´t pay too much attention to it :wink:

Go for baseball. Your window for playing baseball competively will probably close faster than your ability to play drums. You can also play drums alone, whereas baseball requires a team.

Ignore advice about choosing the one that you would most likely make a career at. Unless you're really good at either one, you're not likely to make a career of it. Instead, do it because you enjoy it, if the opportunity arises in which someone will pay you to do something you enjoy, then you are a blessed man indeed.

Good luck! :up:

i don't know what the rules are in whatever state you live in... but "mandatory pre-season workouts" in new york state are illegal... any workouts must be strictly voluntary, and not being able to attend is not supposed to have any effect on your making the team or not.

i'd try to talk it out with the coach and the director of the jazz band... try to work it out.

Go listen to your jazz band first & talk to their drummers-I was a drummer in high school & got all excited learning the marching material then went into jazz & was disappointed. It was more like lounge music than jazz, no cool syncopated beats-just an brush, a cymbal & the occasional tap on the snare. The music we played was like a nursing home dance. Words can not describe how much it sucked-so check it out before you spend a semester being bored off your rocker.

MrBrau1 said:
jazz is the music they play in hell.

Play baseball.

But baseball is the game played in hell....so what's the diff?

I still think he should go for whichever one has the better chance of getting him laid. :shrug:

I think I am leaning towards baseball

I completely understand the concept of jazz drumming

but I think what I'm going to do

I can study jazz drumming over the course of the year, and if baseball doesn't pan out this year I'll be an expert jazz drummer next year, while I'm only an expert rock drummer right now and a beginner jazz drummer

In terms of the workouts being mandatory they are not 100% mandatory, but since I am not in a winter sport such as basketball I have to get in shape with the rest of the team to have a chance in tryouts

thanks for the advice so far

UberBeaver said:
Music can be useful in the future. Not sure I can say that about baseball unless you're just that damn good.

he has his whole life to play music. this may be his only chance to play competitive baseball.

Jazz band is a great way to brush up on chops and learn things other musicians will never learn.

Baseball will only last a few years, but music you can do for the rest of your life.

If you still want to play for fun and keep in shape play for a church league or something.

well I take private drum lessons, so I can learn jazz from that

I'm going to play baseball assuming I can make the team(30 kids trying out for 26 spots)

thanks for the advice

Talk to the teacher/prof in charge of Jazz band, and explain the situation to him, and ask if you can get a chance to show him your drumming ability at a time that doesn't interfere with your baseball stuff. Then if you don't make the team, you shouldn't have much trouble switching over to the band. Just sayin'.

Back
Top Bottom