Arrested...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amigone

The Fly
My best friends' mom just got arrested today, for drunk driving.

He came online today, and told me. She's been an alcoholic for many years, and she was caught driving drunk. He'd told me about it before, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Actually, she was caught after smashing into cars at the local theatre thing where her son had a rehearsal. The police came, did the breath test, and arrested her right on the spot. After the rehearsal, her son and husband came to the police station to get her.

Fortunately, she only caused thousands of dollars in damage to other peoples' property, and didn't take a life.

Does anyone else know what to expect next? He is distraught, and clueless. Has anyone been through anything like this before? I told him that I was sorry that it happened, but his response was that he was kind of happy, that now she's off the road... What should I tell him? what should he expect? lawsuits, lawyers? Jail time?

A friend of mine has been picked up for drunk driving a few times. I don't know all the details, but he no longer has a license, and he had to go to AA meetings. Another friend of mine drove drunk, and he ended up being involved in a high speed chase with the cops, which ended after he crashed into a house. He had to go to court and was put on probation. Of course, he also lost his license.

People who drive drunk piss me off...I get so mad at my friends when I find out that they do that shit.

I hope your friend's mom will get her stuff together and never do anything stupid like that again.

I'm not sure of the laws in Canada, but here it is not *common* to expect a sentence for a first offence. You can never say never though, she is best off getting some good advice as soon as possible. As for lawsuits, that all depends I suppose on her insurance. Anyone who had their property damaged can really only expect to claim for the damage to their cars, but her compulsory 3rd party insurance may not cover this as it was negligence under the influence of alcohol. They may very well try and fight her for these claims. Again it is in her best interests to get some good advice on the insurance issues.

This really could be one of the best things to have happen to her. People make mistakes and the law does understand that. If she plans on doing everything in her power to fix up her wrongs and get help, even void her licence, it will help her. And even though it is a grievous and potentially disastrous error to have made, she and her family need support in this. Best of luck to them all.

Its good that nobody was hurt. I hope your friend's mom gets her act together and gets the help she needs. Just be there for your friend.:hug:

my guess is that she probably won't get jail time for what she did, since it sounds like her first offense. they'll probably put her on probation, take away her license, and of course make her pay for the damage done to the other cars. actually, her insurance may pay for it if it's covered, but she'll pay for it in the long run when her family's insurance goes through the roof.

Jail time is unlikely. Loss of license, probation, community service, and a hefty fine are some of the things to expect in California.

I can only hope an incident like this becomes a life changing experience for the better.

Back
Top Bottom