Are you generally happy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:wink: Yes, In general I am a happy person. I'm usually, smiling and singing through my days. I too, have learned to be greatful for what I have and that does change my outlook in life. .And I am very adventurous, so I am taking on a new career as a Teacher!! And I think Change is a good thing to be embraced, whatever it is in ones' life. And, finally I am happy just to be ME! Not comparing myself to anyone, so if I feel like giving someone a compliment, then I just do that! It makes me happy to give to others in this way! And really, who doesn't need to hear that? So, yes I am a happy person and even been known to sing that song by Andy Williams'...It's My Happy, Happy Song'! :) And, I too am made happy by pets! My cats make me happy!!

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:

interestingly

I was born in Boston

and I went to Broad Ripple High School :wink:

Go Rockets! :yippie:

Broad Ripple rocks! :D

U2Dem, is your sister a Northsider too?

Back on topic: I had to go back to the bank where I used to work today to deal with my 401K stuff. Just walking in the door made me happy that I didn't have to walk in that door 5 or 6 times a week anymore.

BonoManiac said:

The truth is that I do get angry, frustrated, upset, sad and annoyed at things in everyday life. However, these feelings generally don't last very long and I'm back to my smiling, goofy self in no time at all.

Yeah, some people ask me if Iever lose my temper. Well, I do, but why publically, and generally why about such small, unimportant things when they expect me to do so because they would have?

Yep, generally :) It's not so much that something in my life changed as it is that my perception and my attitude changed. Funnily enough, things started falling into place when that happened.. :hmm:

I'm not the super cheery, has-to-be-on-all-the-time type either. I allow those momentary setbacks to come and I allow myself moments of sadness, anger, or frustration. It's allowed :shrug: I always know it'll be okay again.

I'm a happy, zen sort of person most of the time. I don't let too much bother me and I know how to walk away from bad situations or people who cause me grief.

But at the moment I'm really stressed out, although hopefully that will all end in a few weeks' time.

I'm happy as long as I'm around people. The times when I'm sad almost always coincide with a (very immature high school) feeling of being left out of things and not being with others. I enjoy my "alone time," however my alone time usually is either on here, with people, or with music, which is truly the only isolated thing I do. I'm very much a people person, as I love to interact and converse.

Generally this is the case, so generally I'm happy.

I was thinking about posting this exact question, but just never got around to doing it. I think for the most part I'm a happy person and always have been. Things go on in life that may bring you up or down and/or cause stress, etc. I think for the most part, I'm pretty content. I seem to internalize any discontent or unhappiness, which I know is not a good thing, but... it's what I do :shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:
No-but I am when I think about people who are far less fortunate than I am. I have to give myself that kick in the butt often. Simple things make me happy too.

Wow, I'm exactly the same.

Yeah, I guess I am relatively happy. My life is great except for the fact that I'm 17 and not had a relationship, but I definitely don't go around picking up all over the place either. Everything else about life is great, except for that one aspect, which does weigh down on my happiness. I'm just reeeeeally scared I guess.

Me? In general, no, not really.

I'm a moody, ill-tempered, aggressive little wretch most of the time.

What gets on my nerves is when people come up to me going, "Smile! It isn't that bad!"

"How do you know, you little freak. Get away from me," is usually what I think. On a good day, even. On a bad day, It's a good thing I don't have any magic mental powers, or there'd be too many disemboweled people parts laying around.

Of course, I should probably do something about my attitude, but why bother. It's too much work.

I'm happy most of the time. But, of course, there are those days when I just don't want to do anything, and am just in a very pissy mood, or am depressed. I do try to look at the world postitively, but sometimes, I just can't. But for those days, I just listen to some good music, and try to talk about what's wrong with some friends over AIM. It does help. That, and eating a lot of comfort food.:wink:

Not all the time for I have to deal with depression everyday. When I wake up in the morning I sometimes feel sad. But once I start doing my usual routine of taking a shower and getting dressed I start to feel better. I try to count my all the blessings that I have and I am very thankful for them. There are a lot of people who are worse off than me. So I try to look at life that way. I have some very good friends who help me get throught the day, as well of some very good friends here at Interference!

kafrun said:
Yep, generally :) It's not so much that something in my life changed as it is that my perception and my attitude changed. Funnily enough, things started falling into place when that happened.. :hmm:

I'm not the super cheery, has-to-be-on-all-the-time type either. I allow those momentary setbacks to come and I allow myself moments of sadness, anger, or frustration. It's allowed :shrug: I always know it'll be okay again.

Same here, definitely! :hug:

I used to be more pessimistic in the past, but luckily I've changed that to a more positive attitude. God knows I've had my fair share of bad things happening in my life (and still do sometimes), but I always know that everything will be okay again in the end :) We don't need to be 100% happy all of the time (I don't even think that's possible, either). Like Kaf said, it's allowed to be sad or angry or frustrated when you feel like it, no point in repressing that. But then after that, the sun will start shining again most likely!

I'm generally a happy person nowadays. I wasn't so in my teens and early twenties, due to extreme shyness and social ineptness which kinda fed each other and which got even worse when I moved to Australia at the age of 15. I got rid of a lot of my insecurities since then and I'm able to enjoy people more, even though I'm still quite shy and a natural introvert who often feels on the outside of things, if that makes sense. I can still lapse into what you could call my earlier self, but I'm self-aware enough to recognise it for what it is and try to kick myself out of self-pity or misery. I'm pretty laid back and tend to take life as it comes and don't see it as any kind of race or competition with the other people, so I don't really envy anyone or think it's "unfair" that bad things sometimes happen to me. And it doesn't take much to make me happy - music, good book, sunny weather, good conversation, etc.

Saracene said:
I'm generally a happy person nowadays. I wasn't so in my teens and early twenties, due to extreme shyness and social ineptness which kinda fed each other and which got even worse when I moved to Australia at the age of 15. I got rid of a lot of my insecurities since then and I'm able to enjoy people more, even though I'm still quite shy and a natural introvert who often feels on the outside of things, if that makes sense. I can still lapse into what you could call my earlier self, but I'm self-aware enough to recognise it for what it is and try to kick myself out of self-pity or misery. I'm pretty laid back and tend to take life as it comes and don't see it as any kind of race or competition with the other people, so I don't really envy anyone or think it's "unfair" that bad things sometimes happen to me. And it doesn't take much to make me happy - music, good book, sunny weather, good conversation, etc.

Saracene, you put into words the way I feel like much better than I ever could :) And don't worry, it makes sense what you say :hug:

COBL_04 said:

My life is great except for the fact that I'm 17 and not had a relationship, but I definitely don't go around picking up all over the place either. Everything else about life is great, except for that one aspect, which does weigh down on my happiness. I'm just reeeeeally scared I guess.

Yeah same here, except I'm 19 :/

ive got self-confidence issues and i'm basically terrified cuz i'm not totally sure what i want to do with my life. and i worry that i don't mean anything to anyone and never will. that's probably my biggest problem, what keeps me from being happy. the line in my head lately has been "Don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen." and I've got major guilt issues, even though I don't do many bad things, I feel like I don't really deserve all I have, because I realize I'm fortunate. I am happy sometimes though. Music makes me happy, friends make me happy, etc. And many times I'm just okay. At least I'm not always down.

It's encouraging (and a bit surprising), at least, to read that most of you are indeed happy. Thanks for all responses.

AtomicBono said:

ive got self-confidence issues and i'm basically terrified cuz i'm not totally sure what i want to do with my life. and i worry that i don't mean anything to anyone and never will. that's probably my biggest problem, what keeps me from being happy. the line in my head lately has been "Don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen." and I've got major guilt issues, even though I don't do many bad things, I feel like I don't really deserve all I have, because I realize I'm fortunate. I am happy sometimes though. Music makes me happy, friends make me happy, etc. And many times I'm just okay. At least I'm not always down.

It's encouraging (and a bit surprising), at least, to read that most of you are indeed happy. Thanks for all responses.

Can I just ask, you've talked to a professional about it yeah?? I'm sorry I just really don't know what to say :( except that thinking you'll never mean anything to anyone is so far from the truth. Everyone always means something to someone no matter who you are. There's a good quote from my RE teacher about that... I'll ask her and post. You mean something to someone. Trust me. I know it's easy to say, and I know it probably doesn't help from some guy through a computer but yeah. And besides where would we be without the Pop love?:wink:

I'm pretty happy nowadays. I had a run with depression when I was adolescent, and stuff like that never leaves you completely - but I don't think irrationally anymore. I just wish I had a rather more interesting life, but I guess most people think that.

AtomicBono said:

i really don't understand where all this pressure comes from about being in a relationship. ESPECIALLY at such a young age. i'm 26 and i've NEVER been in one (perhaps this belongs in the confessions thread). in my whole entire life, i've never had a serious relationship.

is that a bad thing? not at all! does this mean something is wrong with me or i'm a sociopath? nope! not one bit. i love people, and i'm a social butterfly. i've got friends all over (i guess that's why i do so much traveling). i love men! i love meeting them, talking with them, and learning more about what makes them tick. they intrigue me, and they affirm me, i love how some can make me feel like i am the most radiant person in the room. it just so happens that throughout my life they've only been friends or a flirt-and-go type of encounter.

that doesn't make me any less of a person, and it certainly doesn't mean that i am not important to anyone. the same goes for you. you've got a hilarious sense of humor, and some close buddies. even though you are friends with cody, whom i can forgive for not liking u2 since he likes to rage. i bet you're important to him! and to your other friends. and to your family.

we don't need to be in a romantic relationship to define ourselves. we are just as valid with or without a partner. we each make our own little mark in this world. perhaps you, just like myself, have an independent and free spirit. you should embrace that. :D

unico said:

that doesn't make me any less of a person, and it certainly doesn't mean that i am not important to anyone. the same goes for you. you've got a hilarious sense of humor, and some close buddies. even though you are friends with cody, whom i can forgive for not liking u2 since he likes to rage. i bet you're important to him! and to your other friends. and to your family.

we don't need to be in a romantic relationship to define ourselves. we are just as valid with or without a partner. we each make our own little mark in this world. perhaps you, just like myself, have an independent and free spirit. you should embrace that. :D

Well...thanks :) I guess it is a bit naive/selfish to think I'm not important to anyone. I don't always think that. Just sometimes I get in these odd moods where I feel extremely isolated. Probably just my messed up brain chemistry combined with a few other issues.

And Cody...um...WOWY. That's probably all I should say about that. UNNNGHHH :mad:

and yeah I love men too :D almost all my best friends are guys, and I like it that way. Guys are just awesome. Also having not been in a relationship I have a nonbiased view of everyone else's, and so when/if I ever am in one I will know the zillion things not to do based on the problems friends have had in their relationships.

COBL, I haven't really talked to a professional since my freshman year of high school (I'm a freshman in college now). Maybe I should, I dunno. I was on Zoloft from about fourth grade all the way through sophomore year, but I quit 'cause I didn't want to be dependent on antidepressants my whole life.

again, thanks, appreciate the comments...I gotta go to class now :wink:

I suffer from personality dissorders, and in general, am not a happy bunny. A lot of the time my mood is very low which I am unable to do anything about.
I am fast approaching 40 and my life amounts to a trail of disasters behind me. Can be very difficult at times

Generally, yes. A quick walk around my life would show it to be all very well sorted: Live in a great house, in a great location with a couple of lifelong friends. In an incredibly stable and thoroughly enjoyable 3+ year relationship. Great and very close family. Have a kick arse job in the entertainment industry. Have loads of great friends from an extremely wide variety of walks of life. Forever busy doing interesting and new things. Work very hard and am constantly under a lot of pressure, but generally manage to not have that convert to pointless stress/anxiety by making sure I always have time for myself and the things I enjoy - or blowing Sydney off for a weekend at a beach house that I am forever thankful to have in my family. No-one is emotionally bullet-proof though. There are days where I feel completely shit over something that is perfectly reasonable for me to feel shit about, others there's just that annoying shitness that can't be pinpointed or justified. In general, I need more sleep and should exercise more. Both do help immeasurably.

I do though feel a nagging unsatisfaction. I think I really need to strike out with something for myself? As in feel some success (not 'success' in the Gordon Gecko sense, just I guess, achievement, even if no-one else knows about it) on my own, on something for myself, by myself. If that makes sense. I think it's because I know so many people who achieve so highly and individually in very creative ways: music, fashion, design, film etc. That incredible feeling of seeing something wholly yours succeed, rather than being a cog in the machine of someone elses success, no matter how exciting and satisfying that can be. It does nag me a bit, but I have no idea where to direct it personally. I think I'm just very jealous of their talent and ability and drive.

I also *just* turned 29 and feel that general nag from my upcoming 30's. Stop bleeding cash on overseas holidays and general day to day large livin' and settle down, buy a house, blah blah blah. Problem is I feel like I'm still about 23.

U2democrat said:
I am. I'm a naturally laid back person, I don't get wound up about things easily and I don't get myself involved in drama. Generally I'm a selfish person, and introvert and I absolutely need time to myself every day. I watch TV, get on here, listen to music, whatever, that recharges my batteries and I'm ready to go. That's what keeps me happy.

Plus I'm fortunate to surround myself with friends and family who love me.

So yeah, I'm happy, because I love to talk about me :D

amen!!!

at the minute Im not, Im being selfishly crazy about missing 2 years of my life, too much regret, and I cannot seem to put a line under it and move on.

things seem to go arse-about-face for me, things out of sync, maybe life is meant to be like that but I question why esp for certain things!

I have not laughed or smiled (but for comedies or jokes) in a sincere happy manner for MONTHS!

I guess that I am happy. I'm getting married in June. The one thing that doesn't make me happy is the fact that I never finished nursing school. I don't have the money for it and I have been out of school for so long, I don't think that I want to go back.

Wow, funny looking back at this and seeing stuff that I know has changed. I mean, LeMel isn't even 16 anymore. Sick.

Some pretty bad stuff happened to me recently, but I think I've been handling it better than I could have possibly thought. I'm pretty happy with that. It's not all going smoothly, but yeah, I ain't such a gloomy bastard nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom