Anyone around here dislike Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

girlhappy

War Child
In fact, Christmas Eve is critical time for me. But the whole week before Christmas is actually very tempting time for me. No wonder: i am part of the broken home, unemployed, without boyfriend, still living with my mum. I have tried everything to ease my pain about it - to do good things etc. So, dont try to suggest something like that. I just dont have a life, actually. i am usually literally ill before Christmas, because 2nd year in the row i dont even have a job at that time. it is humiliating to go to your family you see once a year - young ones have a jobs and families, i am like an outsider. i will try to see people and go out, but deep in the heart i know its not the atmosphere of love EVER. It is all superficial and deep in my heart i am alone forever. And Christmas is for those who have luck, like life itself. I am trying really hard to fight my bright destiny, but as i grow older seems to me...almost everything is out of control (something familiar with Bonos song, actually).
Love, poverty etc.

I do!!!! I hate the fact u have to but presents u don't want to buy or that u have to do things u don't want to.
I don't know how this Christmas will be for me -- coz I'd probably have a quarrel with the person I'm with now because my parents want to spend the day with me and he's not invited coz we've been together for a too short time now....
I think christmas should be spent with the people u like and love and it's sad I have to make a choice that, of course, will disappoint someone...:(

I don't enjoy Christmas. I've given up trying to. I come from a broken home and because of all the fights of where my brother and I would end up, we just stopped doing anything. So, what Christmas is suppose to represent is complete crap to me and I have yet to have a reason to change my mind.

I used to really dislike Christmas, preferring to look forward to New Years.

But my little boy changed that! Even if I do think it's a little hypocritical when I'm not religious. He never really existed, right? Just a myth.

I'm sorry you feel this way. Hopefully something (or someone?) will come your way and make it special again :hug:

Lately my only hesitation with Christmas is that my grandma's health is deteriorating and I can't help but wonder how many Christmases are left....Christmas is important to me because it's important to her, so I wrap the gift I bought myself with her $20 (since she can no longer leave the house) and pretend it's the best thing I've ever seen and just the smile on her face is worth it.

Liesje said:
I'm sorry you feel this way. Hopefully something (or someone?) will come your way and make it special again :hug:

Lately my only hesitation with Christmas is that my grandma's health is deteriorating and I can't help but wonder how many Christmases are left....Christmas is important to me because it's important to her, so I wrap the gift I bought myself with her $20 (since she can no longer leave the house) and pretend it's the best thing I've ever seen and just the smile on her face is worth it.

I know exactly how are you feeling. My grannny passed away last year before Christmas. And i loved her dearly. i wish you many happy Christmases with your grandma!:hug:

lady luck said:
I do!!!! I hate the fact u have to but presents u don't want to buy or that u have to do things u don't want to.
I don't know how this Christmas will be for me -- coz I'd probably have a quarrel with the person I'm with now because my parents want to spend the day with me and he's not invited coz we've been together for a too short time now....
I think christmas should be spent with the people u like and love and it's sad I have to make a choice that, of course, will disappoint someone...:(

Awww,lady Luck, now i understand your sudden recovery! I am so glad! You deserve all happiness in the world! So, i am so gad you finally moved on. :applaud: :hug:

Christmas never fails to be at least partly depressing, emotional, stressful, etc.

And I don't exactly get into the whole christmas spirit very well...strangely I still like parts of the holiday, or leading up to it. I like having a tree and making cookies and giving really cheap but cute gifts to friends, and I like the weather. Even if the holiday always ends up being disappointing/emotional/stressful...I still don't really hate it that much at all. :p

It's not my favorite holiday. I prefer Thanksgiving. It is much more relaxing and fun for me even if I do cook for two days.

Canadiens1160 said:
Everyone.

Loves.

Christmas.

Not everybody enjoys the Christmas season. They are people who are alone,may have lost a loved one, may have lost a job and just dealing with a difficult life. I really feel for these people, for I have had a couple of rough Christmas's to go through myself.

tiny dancer said:

Not everybody enjoys the Christmas season. They are people who are alone,may have lost a loved one, may have lost a job and just dealing with a difficult life. I really feel for these people, for I have had a couple of rough Christmas's to go through myself.

Yes, and that"s why you are so compassionate and kind. I know your story and i admire you. :hug: :bow:

U2democrat said:
I hate the way Christmas has been so materialized. All you see is SALE SALE SALE!!!!!! BUY BUY BUY!!!!!! DIAMONDS, NEW CARS AND ALL WILL BE MERRY!!!!!!

I hate it.

There are lots of reasons why people don't enjoy Christmas but if's about shops trying to lure you into buying all round you well, I see SALE SALE SALE!!!! BUY BUY BUY!!!! all year round. :shrug:

Christmas is what you make it. Christmas for me doesn't invovle rushing around shops to get presents for people just for the sake of it. For me it's about being with family.

I can see why commercialization bothers people, especially if you believe it distracts from the meaning of the holiday. but I'm not particularly religious...and honestly I love the opportunity to make/find really personal, nice, thoughtful gifts for people, and it's nice to receive them. I don't necessarily mean the most expensive, doesn't even have to be bought. but I love the chance to put together things that I know people will enjoy getting and will make them feel special/cared for. I don't care if that falls under commercialization or materialism. :drool:

I don't really like Christmas myself...the reason is that I don't get along with my family or should I say nobody gets along with nobody. And this year is harder then others. My grandma is in the hospital (but she's going to be okay!) and I have an uncle that is dying at the moment...enyways...I really don't enjoy Christmas at all... :sad:

iloveedge said:
I don't really like Christmas myself...the reason is that I don't get along with my family or should I say nobody gets along with nobody. And this year is harder then others. My grandma is in the hospital (but she's going to be okay!) and I have an uncle that is dying at the moment...enyways...I really don't enjoy Christmas at all... :sad:
:up: :hug:

I think Christmas is still a big time to think of family - so how you see Christmas depends on how well you and your fam get along.

For me, there is nothing more relaxing than sitting on the living room couch with the tree fully illuminated, a hot cocoa in my hand, listening to Tony Bennett sing Christmas schlepp as it snows outside.

Try waking up at 5am everyday to move your car to the other side of the street so the municipal trucks can plow the street :wink: It's less romantic then, but still jawsome :up:

U2 Bliss said:

and if you can’t be with your family .... be with the family you have chosen “your friends” :happy:

I won't be with my family at Christmas.
we don't celebrate it as much as they do here
but I will see them at the weekend

and I will spend Christmas day with my partner and her family though :heart:

I stopped liking Christmas when my Mum died 2 summers ago. :(

Maybe that will change when i have kids of my own.

For now, like Lies said my grandma loves it so i try my best for her. :yes:

To all those who will find this Christmas hard for whatever reason. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom