Anybody have really bad skin problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauramullen

Blue Crack Distributor
I'm 28 years old and my skin breaks out so bad on my face. I have tried everything to help clear it up, like proactive, but nothing works. I don't have insurance to go to the dermatologists. I keep trying to stay opptomistic that something will work, but never does. Does anyone have any suggestions?

:hug: it must be torture for you - my daughter is at that hideous hormonal stage now and even though its not too bad she feels pretty self conscious some days . . . you've probably tried dietary changes . . . I bathe/wash my daughters skin with cool chamomile tea, make sure she drinks oooooodles of water and try to get her to lay off the fatty carbs stuff . . . have you tried a naturopath or chinese herbalist? Not sure if naturpath is covered but sometimes chinese herbalists have fantastic remedies

Good luck :hug:

I started having trouble with my skin about three years ago (I went all through high school with good skin and it went south when I was in my late 20s). One suggestion that has helped me is to take daily vitamins. Good luck!

Some birth control pills can help with skin problems. Might be worth looking into.

products with a green tea base seem to be beneficial...

agreed. the body shop has loads of green tea stuff. you can test most of their stuff too right in the store.

i also wanna second the drinking lots of water suggestion. and try to stick to organic and wholesome foods, and eat lots of raw veggies and fruits. i doubt that will make it all disappear but i think it might help a bit.

I second this. Many cases of acne that haven't responded to various topical or dietary fixes are helped by going on the pill. There seems to be a hormonal element to acne.

I third, it's probably the most effective fix I've ever tried. A continuous dose version seems to work well for me for both acne and migraines

Some birth control pills can help with skin problems. Might be worth looking into.

The most effective pill in this respect is not FDA approved in the US, although it is widely used in Europe and Canada. It's called Diane-35 and you will hear a lot of crap about side effects, safety, etc. If you look at the studies, it amounts to nothing really far out of the ordinary, and the reason you have this is because of lobbying by Ortho-tricyclen which is the only pill in the US that can legally claim to have an effect on acne (and other hormonal issues). But it is nowhere nearly as effective as Diane-35.

I've never had a zit in my life, surely you won't find that helpful but I have just about every other skin condition imaginable including pretty bad eczema. And I just got rid of pityriasis rosea which I had for MONTHS after pestering doctor after doctor and finally getting my way with respect to treatment. It was infuriating and only after I spoke to an expert abroad who basically structured a treatment plan and found an MD with an open mind did I get to clear this up in a matter of a couple of weeks. Good to know that I was suffering for months when there was a simple cure!

I definitely sympathize with you, it often feels like there is no end in sight.

I have heard so many people praise Proactive including my sister and my own son. Dr Rodan was my dermatologist years ago when she first started practicing in Fremont CA (East Bay).

My skin used to go through phases where it would break out and nothing I used seemed to work. Discovered Clean and Clear Advantage Acne Control Kit one day in the store. Ever since I started using that my skin has really cleared up.

Have to 2nd drinking lots of water too! :up:

I'm 24 and still get a minor break out once in a while (depends on stress and hormones, usually I just get a few zits on my chin or forehead). I've tried lots of different face washes over the years and honestly the best thing for me has been my favorite bar soap - Zest - and/or an OTC face wash without or with very little salicylic acid. That stuff is in most of them, but it overdries my face and makes it red and flakey. I have mixed skin, so some areas are dry while others are oily. I wash my face 2 or 3 times a day, usually in the morning with the Zest in the shower and before bed with a face wash (really I pick based on the smell). I don't use any liquid make-up unless it's for a spot and my powder is Neutrogena Healthy Blends. I also take a monophasic birth control. It would cost $20/mo without insurance.

I use a mainly organic face wash called Alba Pineapple Enzyme Facial Cleanser. It works better than anything else I've tried. I also have always used Dickinson's Witch Hazel as a toner/astringent because it's very gentle and works well. My grandma has used it since she was a teenager back in the 40s, and she swears by it to this day. I just started using a natural, pomegranate moisturizer from a company called GrassRoots. I still break out once in awhile but it's not that bad. When I do, I usually just put some Neutrogena On The Spot cream on the pimple at night before bed.

Back
Top Bottom