Another plea for prayers (for my dad)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
So I'm a mod and I'm not sure if this is the official place to post this :scratch: but anyway........

My dad and I don't have a super close relationship but we are on good terms and talk about once a month, he lives on the other side of the state so we don't see each other in person all that often. He is 59, has smoked since he was a teenager, and was diagnosed diabetic last year (well controlled now with diet and meds, no insulin).

He calls me tonight, says he thinks he had a stroke 2 days ago but feels fine. He thought he was having a low blood sugar episode while golfing so he went across the street to get a milkshake at McDonalds. By the time he got there, he couldn't speak to ask for the milkshake but was able to write down his request. Obviously the milkshake did not solve the problem but he seemed to be feeling fine, no obvious motor deficits.

I don't think he called his doctor till the next day (yesterday), who said (HELLO!!!!!!!!!!) GO TO THE ER. :| The problem is, he has been laid off for a few months and does not have health insurance. He is a Vietnam vet and would be taken care of at a VA hospital, but the closest one is about 2 hours away (ummmmmmm ok so have your wife drive you there!). He wanted to get in at the local office but apparently there you need an appointment and no one has returned his call (duh go to the hospital! :banghead: ). Why his wife has not pushed him more to go to a hospital, I don't know.

So 2 days later (tonight) he decides to call me to tell me this, insists he feels fine, just is having a hard time saying what he wants to say. His speech is now slow, monotone, and deliberate and he has a harder time saying a word if it has more than 2 syllables. I'm sure he is scared to go to the ER, have a prescription written for a blood thinner, and then be handed a $20,000 bill. I'm trying to tell him he is lucky he is feeling ok now, but doing nothing differently, this is almost certainly going to come back again and he may end up much worse.

I convinced him to go to one of the VA hospitals that is about 3 hours away but only 15 minutes from his mother's (my grandmother) house so they have somewhere close to keep their dogs. Since he's going tonight I told him to drop the dogs off and go right there (his wife will be doing the driving), he thinks he'll just get up and go in the morning :scream:

So the point of this (rambling) story is I would be very grateful for any prayers, that he can get the necessary treatment with no further complications :sigh: I'm also praying this spurs my sisters to try to reconcile their differences with him, before it's too late...

Last edited:
Wow, you must be really worried right now :hug:
I'm shocked that his wife hadn't rushed him to the hospital when she knew what happened. If something like that happened to my husband I would be dropping everything to make sure he was okay.
I'm glad you were there to push him in the right direction :yes:

I'm so sorry bls - both your Dad and yourself are in my prayers :hug:

Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts-

We went to see him at the hospital on Saturday, he looks a little tired but good overall, his speech has already improved from a few days ago. He has an 80-some % blockage in his left carotid artery that caused the problem, likely had a clot lodge there that blocked blood flow for a time. They actually were not going to be able to do surgery until October(!) but apparently there was a cancelation when he was being worked up and he is scheduled to have surgery 1st thing Monday morning (tomorrow). If all goes well he will probably be discharged on Tuesday.

Unfortunately it sounds like this event will not be enough to stimulate my dad to give up smoking :mad: - though my 21 year-old brother has told me that he is going to give up his smoking habit now, so some good has come of the situation.

Thank you for your continued prayers for his recovery and a safe successful surgery...

I'm sorry I missed this; continued prayers to the your family for Dad's speedy recovery...

That power of prayer...:hmm: an October cancellation and now a Monday procedure...that power of prayer..:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom