Another dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
Here's the deal: my dream has been to study abroad in London. I never got the chance during my undergrad years (but I did spend a spring break there a few years back), and now that I'm in grad school, I was thinking of applying for a short program this summer at the University of Westminster.

My problem? Money of course. I've already got some loans racked up while getting my bachelor's, and now they are adding up more and more in grad school. This summer program will be about $5,000 and I'm sure loans would pay for that. Along with that, it costs $350 to apply. What if I don't get accepted? I'm not about to throw that much money into the wind, in the case that things don't work out for me.

So now I'm trying to decide if I should go for my dream, or just take a vacation there this summer. Naturally the vacation will cost much less, but I won't get to spend the amount of time there
that I would like to. But, that could also mean $5,000 less in total student loans.

What would you do?

~LadyLemon~ said:

So now I'm trying to decide if I should go for my dream, or just take a vacation there this summer.

If that truly is your dream, I think you should go for it. Too many people give up on their dreams.

~LadyLemon~ said:
Along with that, it costs $350 to apply. What if I don't get accepted? I'm not about to throw that much money into the wind, in the case that things don't work out for me.

If you don't apply though, you'll never know...you'll always wonder.

Case in point...

There was a job I applied for. It wasn't really what I was looking to get into, but it seemed to have good potential. After 4 interviews, I was hired. However, I had to go away to a school for a week to take classes to become licensed. I had to pay for a hotel room, the classes, materials, etc. Plus, once I was licensed, I needed to buy some new clothes and supplies. I shelled out several hundred dollars, and after a month of employment, I hadn't earned a dime. I couldn't take it any longer, and I had to quit.

So it seems like I completely threw my money away...which I suppose I did. BUT...at least I gave it a shot, and I knew. I'm still struggling with trying to find a decent job now, and if I hadn't given that job a shot, I'd be constantly asking myself, what if I would have taken that job? That could have been it for me. However...I know for certain that that wouldn't have been the case, and it gives me peace of mind.

this was the dilemma i faced when i was in the process of applying to law school. (what the hell do you do with a history degree? :mad: ) between the stupid lsat and application fees, plus the burden of another degree on the good ol' student loan, three years of my life at something i wasn't sure i'd like or be good at...

but i knew i'd always kick myself if i didn't at least apply. i did, and i found out that i was accepted at the end of the same week. i can't even begin to imagine how different my life would be now if i hadn't gone for it. it was the best decision i ever made.

good luck!

:up:

Go for it, definitely! I can say from experience, the chance to study in London is worth the risk. :)

yup, I say the same, go for it. I was dealing with the same thing, trying to decide about a semester in Tokyo that will cost more than a whole year at my regular school. But I want to do it, and decided this would be my one chance, as a vacation isn't the same, and again, while I'm young, I hate to say it, but if you already have a lot in loans, like me, what's another $5-10K? We have the rest of our lives to be responsible, work, and pay it back...:up:

go for it! I always dreamed of studying in England or Ireland but the university I went to didn't have a study abroad program. I looked into going through a different university but I would have had more fee's to pay because I wasn't a student there. I never ended up doing it and I really wish I would have just gone for it.

This is the best possible time for racking up student loans with where interest rates are, it's practically free money when you compare it to the rate of inflation - I say go for it! :)

If it is your dream, most definitely go for it. Chances are your loans will be much more than $5K (not trying to scare you, lol) so that the $5K won't really be a make-or-break thing anyway.

If it's not a dream, just something you think would be interesting, then I'd say go bum around there for a few weeks.

What's one more loan these days? :wink:

I'm with everyone else: Do it. If you don't, you'll start to think you traded your dream for a few thousand bucks, and that will never make you feel good.

Thanks everyone :hug:

I think I just needed the extra push. I suppose my biggest concern is finally getting my masters and still not being able to afford to move out of mom's place :help: At work, I've got the okay to do this (how lucky am I??). Guess I've just got cold feet now...but dammit, I'm going to do it!!!! (Apply that is.....)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Back in 1969, I was offered a football scholarship to play at UC Santa Barbara and an invitation from UT-El Paso; I didn't take it and I've regretted it ever since....go for it and don't think twice! :up:

I talked to my advisor for over a half hour this morning. Now I'm practically hyperventilating because of all the things I need to do before applying.

Who needs a drink?!

:hyper:

Good luck! :)

arw9797 said:
go for it! I always dreamed of studying in England or Ireland but the university I went to didn't have a study abroad program. I looked into going through a different university but I would have had more fee's to pay because I wasn't a student there. I never ended up doing it and I really wish I would have just gone for it.

Same here (though at the moment I'm in London and can't wait to go back home....I hate London!). I think I would have had a much better experience studying here if I could have gone through a program when I was an undergraduate instead of doing it all alone as a postgraduate.

No doubt,, GO for it,,, And london is a very cool place to be. A superb place for a pint, and listening to some great music after school :wink:

I spend five months in London, as part of my studies.. Lots of cities to choose between, but it had to be London.. Though the pizza is expensive LOL...

part of me says go overseas, because it's a great opportunity, but part of me also says get your MLS as soon as you possibly can and find a district where you can make a ton of money.

that way, you can take yearly vacations and go wherever your pretty heart desires.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom