am I in denial ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carrieluvv

Refugee
That my hubby is a drug addict?

Hes got this chronic pain....hes had it for years now...the management is a mix of oxycontin and nuerontin (sp?)

hes got whats called an inguinal hernia...

I know hes in pain, but everytime hes runing low on his pills he asks me if ive taken them??????????????
I tell him to get one of those big pill box thingys so he can keep track of how many hes taking .

hes really in a dark mood these days . the navy is giving him the boot after almost 15 yrs in because hes not combat ready ..( he cant run the mile and a half ) cuz of his pain.

so many changes are coming our way . im trying to be positive
I just dont know what kind of income we can produce and blah blah blah...

mostly though im concerned about his pain management , will he always have to be on the drugs. I try to recommend that he do excercises...lift weights. like dumbells just to strengthen his chest arms legs..i think if he becomes stronger hell take some of the strain off the core of his body ...but he just scoffs at me..what do I know Im not his doctor...his doctor has the prescription pad.
plus hes always been lazy and a heavy smoker..hes never taken very good care of himself

anyonelse in the same sitch or have any expirience with this?

Last edited:
:hug:

I am sorry about what you're going through. I can't relate to your situation but I will say that you can't try to help someone who doesn't want to admit that they need help.

In the meantime, please try to take care of yourself and your needs. And remember, if the situation becomes too unhealthy for you there are places that you can go to for help.

thanks angel

im sure we'll get through it
the oxycontin thing bugs me...
i have to believe there is an alternative to the stuff

Sorry to hear about your husband's hernia. Is he getting any other treatment besides the pills? Surgery is sometimes an option. A second opinion might be in order if the doctor is only prescribing meds.

Good luck

hes had 5 surgeries for it.
hes all screwed up.
hes seen so many doctors...the navy sent him all over the east coast ...to doctors...its really pretty amazing, all hes been through

he has to want to find another way besides the pills i spose

yup..hes been to the chronic pain clinic ..they gave him a temms unit...dont know how ya spell it...but its a thing that gives you electrical shock to the area

since he was in the military and hes being medcially retired..he will get all his treatment and scrips for free the rest of his life

hes done everything he has to do - you can see why its seems like such a raod block now

i searched the web yesterday for info on his condition and i was surprised at how much stuff there is actually

Last edited:
I meant a pain management course where he would receive instructions on how to move to minimise his pain as well as an excercise routine. eg hydrotheraphy, fancy exercise machines in a special gym for people on rehabilitation.

That kinda thing?

nope not that kind of thing....thats a good idea though...
that is what i think he should do and i have expressed it to him..if he built up his chest arms legs...etc...the core of his body where his pain is might not take such a beating

Try contacting a rehabilitation hospital or gym. Maybe you could make an appointment with his Dr and ask his Dr to suggest it. Just incase hubby pays more attention to the dr.

i cant call his dr......i cant talk to his dr about his condition

military hocus pocus...

but i can start doing it....going to the gym....going swimming at the Y and trying to get him to come with me.
he bought some patches to quit smoking the other day...so thats a start...
i dont think hes going to be very fun to live with off the smokes ; P
errrrrrrrr.......

Carrie did you go to the pain clinic in Bangor? I work with a client that has chronic pain in her feet and has been on narcotics for many years to manage that pain and finally she was sent to the clinic in Bangor and things seem to be taking a turn for the better.

by the way, my client is also on Neurontin...be careful with that stuff it can destroy the other systems of the body.

ya the nuerontin is yucky ..he says it gives him the runs but the oxycontin constipates him so hes pretty evened out...( not to get to graphic on ya) I know all the mediction can screw things up pretty bad especially if ya take it long term- hes been on it a year or more and expects to stay on it i guess......

he was going to a pain clinic in lewiston and then one in brunswick..bangor is like 85 miles miles from bath so....

hes going to try and quit smoking today ..i dont know how that will go

its just sucks hes losing his career and having all this physical crap
its a bummer, big time

yeah, the both of you are dealing with a lot of junk right now. I hope things take a turn for the better and things start to look up. :hug:

i cant see the future- its getting away from me..i just see the tailights glowin...

one step closer to knowin'

i was just listening to that and I thought it suited.

Im sure well be ok...i mean im not sure..life is just a bunch of struggles that makes ya stronger.
I just dont want the narcs to lead him down a dark path and for him to give up and believe that they are his only salvation
I see him in pain and we've got a lot goin on , I just have to remember what its like to be strong and show him incase he forgot and vice versa

thanks guys for listening to my smack

Back
Top Bottom