afraid to fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BAW will confirm that I LOVE flying but you haven't flown until you've done this; and yes, I have...:wow!:

SWAT_Safety.jpg

anitram said:
Eh, I've been on planes more times than I care to count.

I prefer my feet to be on the ground, but it's a necessary evil. I can't sleep at all on flights (unless in first class because then I can recline - flying overseas is such a joy this way), which is what I hate most about them.

Drinking on a flight will make you really dehydrated - I really would stay away from this, especially on longhaul flights. Combined with jetlag, you'll feel like utter shit for days.

That's basically my experience, except that I can't get more than an hour or so of sleep on flights. I'm not afraid of flying, but what affects me most is the physical toll of long flights. This includes being confined to a small seat in cramped economy class and the thinner (and sometimes poor quality) air on the airplane, which affects metabolism and digestion. It's a lot more relaxing when the flight is half full too, or business/first class which we used to do when I was a kid (because my parents' employers paid for it).

My biggest annoyance with flying is feeling like I'm packed in like a sardine. I always upgrade to economy plus for the extra leg room, but even then I find it really hard to get comfortable as the seats just simply aren't designed for someone my height. I can never get more than a half hour of sleep.

I love looking out the window, though, watching the landscape scroll miles beneath me. I especially like when I can actually figure out what it is I'm looking at (was really cool when we flew over Yosemite one time!).

I highly recommend getting a good pair of earplugs, or in-ear headphones that block out a lot of sound. It really cuts down on the fatigue.

Take lots of dramamine. Like I said before, flying to and from Tanzania were my first "real" flights. The way there was terrible for me. Well, the first 8 hrs from Detroit to Amsterdam was OK (sat next to a guy from Mumbai who told me his entire life story), but the 8 hrs from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro I was stuck in the middle of the row next to this Canadian guy who took off his hiking boots and he smelled like BO and rotten foot odor. I seriously wanted to barf the entire way there, and I do not get grossed out easily. So, for the way back I took several dramamine and was awake a total of 20 mins for the 9.5 hr ride from Kili to Amsterdam (it's a longer route back). The stewardesses were laughing because they'd wake me up for food, turn around to get the food, and my head would be on the tray again. Then for the flight from Amsterdam to Detroit, it was fine because no one smelled and they had personal screens and good movies.

While in Tanzania, we would go on these tiny puddle-jumpers where each landing would be like a giant bouncy ball, no pavement either. But I like the thrill of taking off and landing.

Last edited:
Dramamine doesn't knock me out. It used to when I was a kid, now it's a lost cause.

I've tried coping by taking melatonin for jetlag - it really does work. But I also hate the crampy surroundings, and heaven forbid you're stuck in a middle seat. I absolutely hate the window seat as well because I go to the bathroom a hundred times and that annoys people, so I always, always get an aisle. Which generally works out well unless the flight attendant runs over your foot with the food tray. That hurts.

Angela Harlem said:
I have to fly for 23 hours

After all the conversations we have had, I can't even imagine you doing this!

:yikes:

I am excited for you. Maybe I can make you a pdocast that is similar to that website! :D

anitram said:
Dramamine doesn't knock me out. It used to when I was a kid, now it's a lost cause.

I've tried coping by taking melatonin for jetlag - it really does work. But I also hate the crampy surroundings, and heaven forbid you're stuck in a middle seat. I absolutely hate the window seat as well because I go to the bathroom a hundred times and that annoys people, so I always, always get an aisle. Which generally works out well unless the flight attendant runs over your foot with the food tray. That hurts.

Yeah the dramamine thing worked out for the better since I didn't realize I was taking the drowsy kind and I think I randomly took three (hey, I had been sick the entire month with a stomach parasite and wasn't really thinking straight). I'm not even sure why I had it, I don't get car sick/sea sick. Ah well, it worked that time! Except my neck hurt SO bad from sleeping 9.5 hrs with my head on the tray.

The one good thing about me flying is that I never have to pee. Out of our 4 8.5 hr or longer flights, I can still say I've never once peed (or even felt I had to pee) on an airplane. Too many road trips with my family, I suppose.

23 hours is a damn long flight. I'd be very scared....of being bored and breathing recycled air :barf:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Out of our 4 8.5 hr or longer flights, I can still say I've never once peed (or even felt I had to pee) on an airplane. Too many road trips with my family, I suppose.

Holy cow!

Recently on an 8 hour flight I think I peed like 5 times. I'm not kidding.

Maybe I have problems. :huh:

Angela Harlem said:
I have to fly for 23 hours in October and I'm honestly shitting myself. I almost couldn't handle just visiting the international terminal a few weeks ago. The furthest I've flown before this trip is a mere 3 hours to Cairns.

I'm really shitting myself. If I didn't want this holiday so much, I'd never have agreed to it.
:(

I'm going to do the link thing now. Great thread.

Anna, my very first time on a plane was on a plane to the UK on a family holiday. If nothing can cure you of fear of flying, it's that! It's amazing how quickly you actually forget you're on a plane, and then it's just figuring out how to get to sleep (which I haven't figured out yet, 3 trips to Europe later :mad: ). AND I've been on a plane to Melbourne which had a "terrorist alert"!. I don't luuurrvvvve flying but I don't hate it as much as I used to.

Thanks everyone. Sorry to highjack the thread, lol. Has anyone got tips on how to keep a 3.5 year old and a 7 month old entertained/asleep/quiet for this time? We're doing a 4 hour stopover so it's not 23 continuous hours. No, we're spreading it over 27 :happy:

HG I may pm you if you dont mind. Any tips I can get I am extremely grateful for. Taking off is the worst, I think. It's when you're pushed back in your seat and you cant even comprehend the speed and power and you just want to throw up.

Lara, we're doing England first, then Ireland for a quick visit and then about 5 days in Paris, maybe the outskirts. Then we get on a plane at CDG and I have a heart attack. :scream:

Thanks again people.
:sad:

Angela Harlem said:

HG I may pm you if you dont mind. Any tips I can get I am extremely grateful for. Taking off is the worst, I think. It's when you're pushed back in your seat and you cant even comprehend the speed and power and you just want to throw up.

I don't mind at all. Taking off is the hardest for me, too. It sounds like you have a great trip planned, so anything I can do or say to help, I'm happy to do it. :hug:

BonosBaby12 said:

Dis if you get scared on your flight just remember that you are going to paradise to see U2 :drool: You and Kaf really suck :madspit: :wink:
That's it. I'm so stuffing you in my suitcase in December :madwife: :lol:

Sicy said:
Having a couple drinks on the plane helps :drunk:

That's how i overcame my nervousness.....got stuck into the bubbly departing from Sydney to Coolangatta ( Gold Coast,QLD) 8:30am flight..........had to keep going did'nt I...........had a bloody headache all day!

Angela Harlem said:
Thanks everyone. Sorry to highjack the thread, lol. Has anyone got tips on how to keep a 3.5 year old and a 7 month old entertained/asleep/quiet for this time? We're doing a 4 hour stopover so it's not 23 continuous hours. No, we're spreading it over 27 :happy:

Lara, we're doing England first, then Ireland for a quick visit and then about 5 days in Paris, maybe the outskirts. Then we get on a plane at CDG and I have a heart attack. :scream:

Thanks again people.
:sad:

My sis-in-law flew to Norway when her little girl was a toddler, she packed a suprise backpack for her , when things were boring for the little one,mum would get it out, it was filled with little girly stuff,drawing, a disposable camera! All sorts of stuff! I'm pretty sure she had to use some medication to get her to relax to go to sleep....not sure of the name.... I can find out.

fly so high! said:

My sis-in-law flew to Norway when her little girl was a toddler, she packed a suprise backpack for her , when things were boring for the little one,mum would get it out, it was filled with little girly stuff,drawing, a disposable camera! All sorts of stuff! I'm pretty sure she had to use some medication to get her to relax to go to sleep....not sure of the name.... I can find out.

Phenergan :drool:

Recent events sure can't help peoples' fears :huh:

I myself have always love flying, from taking off, to being in the air, to the landing. I love it. Maybe it's because I've been flying since I was an infant and I'm used to it, I don't know. I don't really have advice to offer, other than enjoy the ride :shrug: Sorry.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

23 hours is a damn long flight. I'd be very scared....of being bored and breathing recycled air :barf:

I've done the long haul flight from Australia to Europe several times, and I can confirm that boredom is in fact the biggest risk to your health and the thing you should be most afraid of. Very afraid.

Awwww Dis you will be fine :hug: Maybe take something before you fly that will help you to relax? I flew on the 2nd anniversary of 9/11 and at first I was nervous but once on the plane all concerns disappeared.

Of course you could always carry a picture of me and realize that such beauty as mine really does exist. That always tends to put one's mind at ease :wink:

BonosBaby12 said:
Awwww Dis you will be fine :hug: Maybe take something before you fly that will help you to relax? I flew on the 2nd anniversary of 9/11 and at first I was nervous but once on the plane all concerns disappeared.

Of course you could always carry a picture of me and realize that such beauty as mine really does exist. That always tends to put one's mind at ease :wink:

:drool: my airplane seat will be a shrine to you:bow::love:

I'm really nervous now too. My husband and I are flying to Cancun next Thursday. Now I don't even want to go.

I'm trying to tell myself that a big plan just went down the drain and it will take a long time for them to get one started again. Also, since security has been greatly increased, it may be safer to fly now.

briarrose said:
I'm really nervous now too. My husband and I are flying to Cancun next Thursday. Now I don't even want to go.

I'm trying to tell myself that a big plan just went down the drain and it will take a long time for them to get one started again. Also, since security has been greatly increased, it may be safer to fly now.

thats what I am thinking too:yes: and who knows:shrug: they would have still had to get past security and all that too. I agree I think flying is safer now..its just one more thing they can be looking for:yes: you'll be ok:hug:

Earnie Shavers said:

I've done the long haul flight from Australia to Europe several times, and I can confirm that boredom is in fact the biggest risk to your health and the thing you should be most afraid of. Very afraid.

:yes:

The worst thing about flying for me is the boredom. I didn't get on a plane until I was 21 and I was really looking forward to it. I thought, "Wow, I finally get to fly! This is going to be so fun and exciting!"

The excitement quickly wore off :| .

I'm really not scared about flying at all. But long flights, delays and hanging around waiting in Airport lounges really takes its toll ...boredom is a real enemy.

23+ hours from UK to Sydney in November will really be difficult if they continue the ban on hand luggage.

Angela Harlem said:
Has anyone got tips on how to keep a 3.5 year old and a 7 month old entertained/asleep/quiet for this time? We're doing a 4 hour stopover so it's not 23 continuous hours. No, we're spreading it over 27

Put them in the Cargo hold :)

Back
Top Bottom