advice of college

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It really depends on what type of college you are going to. Is it a huge one or a small one? Is it in an urban setting or a college town? Is it primarily an undergraduate institution or mostly research driven? These sorts of things will largely shape your experience.

I went to a huge university in an urban setting for my undergraduate degree, and to a smaller university in a college town for my law degree. So I've experienced the best and worst of both worlds. Which you will prefer largely depends on your personality.

I think it depends on the size of the college and how you're going to be living, but assuming that you're living in college housing, my advice is to just take everything in stride and try not to make big deals out of little deals. Expect to learn as much about managing time, priorities, and how to get along with other people as you will learn in the classroom. Remember that networking and looking for opportunities beyond the classroom are as important (I'd argue even more so) than your grades. Try different internships, part time jobs, clubs, etc.

The Main Thing I learned: you might think that you're an adult and you know everything there is to know about life, but you really don't and you'll learn a lot more in college than you think, not just book smarts either.

My advice is don't try to take it all in at once. Focus on the classes you have term by term. The moment you start to think about "the bigger picture" you run a high risk of being completly overwhelmed. You professors are always going to be different, so as far as workload, there is no predicting or preparing yourself. Make friends, enjoy yourself (but not too much :wink: ) U2dem is right, go with the flow. It makes it much more enjoyable. Good luck!

be open to everything and anything, and take total responsibility for yourself and your actions. manage your time as well -- all of the information you'll get in college is wonderful and will make life more interesting as well as make you a more interesting person, but the actual skills you will use in "the real world" aren't writing a term paper on the various agrarian causes of the Civl War but in how you managed your time, organized your notes, prepared and structured and then proofread your essay.

and keep perspective. i went to a small college -- about 2,000 students way up in the woods -- and there are times when it can feel like living in a bubble. there's a great big world out there, and no one has ever asked me my college GPA nor asked me my SAT scores, for that matter (but then, i haven't gone to grad school, so who knows).

good luck and have fun. :)

work hard but have fun. don't fret yourself over sticking to a particular major. i changed mine 3 times in college. also, DEFINITELY spend a semester not in your school, like a co-op, internship, or study abroad. oh and join some student groups too! and meet with your advisor often :)

Yeah, small colleges can feel like a bubble, because you're always with the same people, in this isolated world. Going home for a long weekend or something tends to help with that.

I've had roommates, but I've never actually shared a room and the thought horrifies me, lol, so I don't have much advice there. Otherwise, like Lies said, don't sweat the small stuff. People will annoy you and do stupid things all the time. But you'll also have great fun with them and it's just a matter of coping. Figure out what's important to you and don't battle over the rest. If a roommate is messy and you think you could learn to live with it, then don't let it cause you tons of stress, etc.

Yeah I'm headed off to an all women's college of around 800+ students this August. I cannot wait. I love the campus and the atmosphere and I truly think I am going to do very well in such a positive environment. I am not looking forward to closing this chapter of my life...saying goodbye to friends and everything, but I suppose it has to happen sometime.

Ah, college. For an international student like myself, the experience of studying in the US - a long, long way from home for me - is sorta magnified tenfold, lol. Each college experience becomes larger than life coz you're in it all alone. No parents to go to every weekend/Christmas/etc.

However, the whole point of college is that you're forced to face everything head-on alone. And that's a huge part of character development - independence. After living in the US for 4 years, and facing all sorts of situations - some good, some bad, and making wonderful friends, I know now that if God forbid anything happens to my family, my life still goes on. I will still live. I know it's a really basic obvious thing, haha but for me it was unthinkable to think of my life without my family before I left for the States. But now I know there's nothing I cannot handle. And that makes me more confident than ever.
:D

Mr. Green Eyes - this college experience will be like no other. Seize the oppurtunity and make the most of it.

*steps off soap box*

:reject:

just have fun.

do your work, they don't NEED you there and will be quick to get rid of you.

don't let stupid people influence you to do stupid things.

eat at the cafeteria, they cook and clean...it sucks when you have to do it after college.:|

I'll add my voice to the "small college bubble effect" club.

Don't ever think your plans are permanent - with your major, your career, your love life...make plans, but be OK with changing them.

Housing: living with a roommate yet living independently can cause a myriad of problems, I've noticed. Some people are not very good about sharing a small space with a stranger, you have to be sort of laid back but stand up for yourself if it's really important (music on headphones when you need to sleep, clean up those cheeseburger wrappers, etc). At the same time routine stuff your parents might have done or reminded you to do - laundry, going to sleep, etc can be overwhelming.

Find something to destress - working out, watching a tv show at 9pm on x day with friends, listening to music, whatever. make sure that even during midterms and finals you do this. Also try to sleep regularly during these times (that is advice I have not been able to follow for my first 3 years of college...I am rather pessimistic about next year...)

Don't overeat just because your dining hall is all you can eat.

Drink, party, have fun, try new things, whatever, but don't let yourself be pressured into anything you think is unsafe/uncomfortable.

Um, my advice is to understand or figure out why what you are learning is important. I mean like the books/profs will tell you important stuff. So read/listen.

Or you'll end up like me, back in school at 25 for the degree you originally went for, but dropped because uhhh...you just didn't get it. :D

But yes, have fun too! It does go waaay to fast. :yes:

Varitek said:
watching a tv show at 9pm on x day with friends

HOUSE

TUESDAYS AT 9 GUYS

:wink:

as i am also starting college in the fall (though at a larger college) i also appreciate all advice :up:

I'm going to an all women's school, so I can make fun of myself:

So there's this dermatologist, see.
And he goes in to work one day, and his first patient comes in and says, "Doctor, you've got to help me. My boyfriend refuses to take off his letter sweater when we make love, and now I have this horrible rash." She takes off her shirt, and sure enough, there's a big red itchy rash in the form of an H on her chest.
The doctor says, "This is interesting, I've never seen anything quite like it before. I wonder why it occured in such an unusual shape."
"He goes to Harvard," she says.
"Ah, that would explain it," he says. He prescribes some calamine lotion and sends her on her way."
The next patient comes in and says, "Doctor, I hope you can help me with this rash. It's a little embarrasing, but it's driving me crazy."
She takes off her shirt, and displays a big, itchy, red rash in the shape of a Y. The doctor raises his eyebrows. "It's my boyfriend," she explains.
"He goes to Yale, and is so into his new letter sweater that he never takes it off, even when we're making love. Is there anything you can do?"
The doctor prescribes calamine lotion and sends patient number 2 on her way. The third patient comes in and ays, "Doctor, you've got to help me!" She takes off her shirt, and there on her chest is a big, itchy, red rash in the shape of an M.
"Don't tell me," says the doctor. "Your boyfriend goes to MIT, and refuses to take off his letter sweater when you make love."
The patient looks at him with surprise. "Close," she says. "My girlfriend goes to Wellesley."

Because it's relevant to your question, I'll just repost (with a few slight edits) several posts I made in a similar thread many months ago:

"I'm 24, and finally winding up my own college career (I'll be done in a few weeks. Woohoo!) I didn't figure out what I wanted to do until a few years ago, and had been pretty much winging it until then. I still am, kind of. But finally, finally I feel that I'm at a point in my life where real "adulthood" is in sight for me. Just recently everything's begun "clicking" for me. It takes a while; give it some time. I've stayed in-state and still live at home, so I can't help you out much with dorm life -- but everyone else here can help you out with that. :wink: Fortunately, I've always gotten along fabulously with my parents, so living with them has never been an issue for me. Besides, the food's better and rent's cheaper. Hee.

Also, don't be afraid to take time off from school, if you think you need to. There'll always be someone who'll say, "Don't take time off, or you won't go back!" Bullshit, says I. I've taken two semesters off, both at separate times, and now I'm about ready to graduate. Sometimes it's good to just work for a while, maybe travel a little. And there's nothing like waiting tables for six months to remind yourself that you'd much rather have a college degree.

Sometimes it's the smartest thing to do. I go to Georgia State University, which is in downtown Atlanta. It's a commuter college, which was probably the best thing for me. Had I gone to the University of Georgia (which is in Athens, a major college/party town) and lived on campus, god knows what kind of trouble I'd have gotten myself into. At the very least, partying would have made my grades slip. But that's just me and my own personality; just take some care with that stuff your first year, because I've heard a few horror stories about smart people pulling a 1.0 their first year because they partied so much and spent the next three years busting their ass to pull their GPA back up. Since you're going to a small college, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Oh, and speaking of which -- don't fear getting a B once you're in college (I'm not sure what kind of grades you get, but the original advice I gave was to the fabulous AtomicBono, who is a straight-A student.) I was a straight-A student in high school and freaked out at the possibility of tarnishing my GPA. In high school I rarely needed to study to get good grades, but then got slapped back to reality in college. Heh. It wasn't that it was difficult, it was just a level of effort that I wasn't used to. Of course, that only applies to some classes -- "Legal Issues for Law Enforcement Personnel," I'm looking at you. Others are walks in the park. But yeah, do not fear the B (or the occasional C.) The B is your friend.

My advice biggest piece of advice: don't declare another major right away. I started out as a business major, then switched to journalism, contemplated economics, and finally settled on Criminal Justice. For the first few years, you'll still be getting your core curriculum out of the way anyways, so your major won't matter. You'll have plenty of time to think about it, and talk to other students (or your student advisor) about what kind of career path would be best for you. And because it can't be repeated enough: talk to as many people as you can about that!

As far as the difficulty of your classes:

You'll probably find some classes that are easier than any high school class you've taken, because professors generally don't give homework. Two or three exams through the whole semester, and that's it -- your entire grade based on those tests. That idea might freak you out a bit ("but what if I bomb one of the exams? I'm screwed!"), but don't let it. I promise it's not that bad. Study for a half-hour a day for a few days beforehand, and you should be good to go.

You'll also find that in most of your courses (at least 80% of mine, anyways), you won't need to do the assigned readings. After the first week of classes, you'll know which ones you need to read and which ones you don't -- also, there are a lot of "Grade Your Professor" sites online, so you can find out which profs are good and which ones run their classes like the SS. College textbooks are freaking huge, and it will be impossible for the professors to test you on everything in them. They'll usually only test you on things they go over in class, so if you pay attention and are a good note-taker, you're golden. And nearly every professor I've ever had either gives students study guides for exams or spends the class before the exam going over the material you'll need to know.

Hell, a lot of profs who do give essay questions will tell you what they are in advance! And I've had more than a few who, in the class period before the test, will actually pull out a copy of the exam and read straight off of it to let the students know what material it covers.

Generally, you'll have one or maybe two "difficult" classes per semester, and the rest will be a breeze. I'll spend about an hour studying for any given exam the night before, and that works just fine for me. And honestly, if you enjoy your major (as I do), it won't seem like so much work because the material will be fascinating."

Good luck!

Allanah said:
(I'm not sure what kind of grades you get, but the original advice I gave was to the fabulous AtomicBono, who is a straight-A student.)

I'm fabulous? thank you :D (good advice btw :up: )

Allanah said:

Oh, and speaking of which -- don't fear getting a B once you're in college (I'm not sure what kind of grades you get, but the original advice I gave was to the fabulous AtomicBono, who is a straight-A student.) I was a straight-A student in high school and freaked out at the possibility of tarnishing my GPA. In high school I rarely needed to study to get good grades, but then got slapped back to reality in college. Heh. It wasn't that it was difficult, it was just a level of effort that I wasn't used to. Of course, that only applies to some classes -- "Legal Issues for Law Enforcement Personnel," I'm looking at you. Others are walks in the park. But yeah, do not fear the B (or the occasional C.) The B is your friend.

My advice biggest piece of advice: don't declare another major right away. I started out as a business major, then switched to journalism, contemplated economics, and finally settled on Criminal Justice. For the first few years, you'll still be getting your core curriculum out of the way anyways, so your major won't matter. You'll have plenty of time to think about it, and talk to other students (or your student advisor) about what kind of career path would be best for you. And because it can't be repeated enough: talk to as many people as you can about that!

Good luck!

I usually get Bs/As/and the one C for grades. I plan to be either: a photographer, writer, elementry school teacher, social worker, and a maybe high-school teacher. I can't decide. All of your advice was amazing. Thanks! :hi5:

Back
Top Bottom