A "Wonderful" New Year's in Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
So there I was at my girlfriend's condo in Ballard, Washington. Looking through her window we could see the fireworks display on the space needle near midnight (there was a computer glitch so the fireworks didn't start in earnest until about 12:08).

I decided to head home (a forty minute drive north) around 1 a.m. and on my way to the interstate I began to smell burning rubber. Checking the engine temperature and seeing that it was well on the good side of things, I knew it couldn't be my car--must've been the car in front of me. So I got on the freeway and not a mile down the road my car gave a shudder. The result of this shudder was that the gas pedal no longer worked.

So as safely as I could, I coasted onto the shoulder and made it all the way to the Northgate exit. My hope was that for some reason it was just a really bad stall out. Quickly I realized this was not the case as the engine would turn over but not catch on and start.

Being a 23 year old who doesn't know much about cars, I would generally call my dad to help me out. However, the catch is that he and my mom are in Florida visiting my grandparents for a couple weeks. So I called my brother who knows nothing of cars. And we played telephone tag as he got ahold of my dad--who told my brother that there was nothing I could do and would need to get towed. I just know the oil's fine, the coolant's fine, the battery's fine.

Did I mention my car doesn't have hazards?

So then, just after my girlfriend arrives on the scene, a police car arrives and calls for a tow truck. To get my car to the shop my dad told my brother to tell me to make sure it gets to cost a little over $200. In my naivity, I'd thought it may cost $100.

Having no credit cards and little cash on me, I can't afford this venture. So my girlfriend, bless her, puts it on her card.

To make a long story short, it's New Year's Day, I have no car (and no way of getting to work but walking) because no mechanic is open, my parents are out of town so they can't help me, and I feel like crap cuz I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night.

I sincerely hope no one else had such a ruinous evening after the ball dropped.

Sorry, that's pretty crappy :(

You should get triple A. I pay I think $80 a year and you get 5 free emergency calls/tows. :yes:

Sicy said:
Sorry, that's pretty crappy :(

You should get triple A. I pay I think $80 a year and you get 5 free emergency calls/tows. :yes:

Sorry you had such a shitty night. At least no accidents happened while you were pulled over, not having hazards etc.

My dad and brother are both mechanics and I still have CAA, just for the tow factor (okay, and the fact I lock my keys in my car on a fairly regular basis).

I hope the damage isn't too costly for you, and that you've gotten all your bad luck for the year out of the way, early on :)

Oh man that sucks, I am so sorry this happened to you on New Year's of all times! I hope it all gets sorted out. Look on the brighter side....your friend helped you out, and it really could have been a lot worse, so consider yourself lucky. (My fear is being stranded like that with something happening to my car)

Good luck (I also have AAA)

snowbunny00774 said:

Sorry you had such a shitty night. At least no accidents happened while you were pulled over, not having hazards etc.

My dad and brother are both mechanics and I still have CAA, just for the tow factor (okay, and the fact I lock my keys in my car on a fairly regular basis).

I hope the damage isn't too costly for you, and that you've gotten all your bad luck for the year out of the way, early on :)

I'm hoping my bad luck is gone too! Apparently my insurance is gonna cover the tow, though. And I've also heard from three difference sources that they think it's just a belt (which is a cheap fix, instead of, say, a transmission).

When you said "condo in Ballard," I had to laugh, because I think within a year or two, that's all Ballard will be. :wink:

corianderstem said:
When you said "condo in Ballard," I had to laugh, because I think within a year or two, that's all Ballard will be. :wink:

Oh yeah. That poor Denny's on 15th and Market. Being replaced by condos.....

corianderstem said:
I know. It was a hole, but it was a cool building. :(

I'd never actually been inside it. But I used to park near it! I worry about the parking the most with all the condos going up.

I had a pretty shitty NYE but not because of anything as logical as a car breaking down. Hopefully, since today's the 2nd, the repair shop will be open and you'll be back on the road soon!!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. :( I'd also like to echo the sentiments of getting AAA. I've only needed them once (flat tire when my boyfriend couldn't come help), but the peace of mind they give me is very nice. I ended up changing my auto insurance over to them as well. :up:

the tourist said:
I'd never actually been inside it. But I used to park near it! I worry about the parking the most with all the condos going up.

Oh, you weren't missing anything - it was a dump inside. But the outside was cool.

Yeah, parking sucks in Ballard, and it'll only get worse. :(

Galeongirl said:
aw man, sorry to hear that! :hug: but at least the rest of the year will be better than this!

That's the hope! When you start on the pavement, you can only go up from there!

Back
Top Bottom