A true confession for a U2 forum...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:

I also found myself overly critical and nitpicking in a way that is odd for me with U2. Suddenly all the things that Bono does that I usually find cute seemed fake and annoying.

I feel the same way too... specially with some of Bono's attitudes, or when he appears with politicians. I don't feel comfortable hearing him talking about politics. I know he's doing a lot of job and all, but I don't like to see him....

joyfulgirl said:
(I had just come from a hot tub under the full moon at a Japanese spa so to say I was very relaxed would be an understatement)

well, that's about as zen as it can get :drool:

It's fun being naked in an outdoor hot tub when it's 19 degrees. :drool:

In the men's tub bathing suits are optional before 8, mandatory after 8. :giggle:

I can book us a tub...how many will there be?

joyfulgirl said:
It's fun being naked in an outdoor hot tub when it's 19 degrees. :drool:

In the men's tub bathing suits are optional before 8, mandatory after 8. :giggle:

I can book us a tub...how many will there be?

:hyper:

me! me! me!

only before 8 though.

:shifty:

Blue Room said:

What is the address? :laugh:

men's tub before 8 or after 8?

or would you prefer the coed tub? :sexywink:

or perhaps a private tub for 2 with a special interlander?

LOL at Irvine. What took you so long?

joyfulgirl said:

LOL at Irvine. What took you so long?

ugh. stupid work. had a lunch meeting today with a friend who works at CNN. been writing cover letters ever since.

to be more universal -- what i think we all need to remember is that U2 are popular artists. it is not up to them to make their music relevant to us. if they were to do so, they'd be fakers, they'd be in the business of business, and that's not what i want.

what i want is to work to make their art, their self-expression, relevant to me. i need to work to make either Boy or HTDAAB work for me, not the opposite. it is a privilege for me to be alive and awake and a fan while they are producing music that's alive and questioning and thrilling and provoking.

they have given me more than i have given them. while i like some albums more than others, i can honestly say that i don't think they have a crap album. yes, the last 2 albums are very polished, very listener friendly and very easy on the way down. but that doesn't mean that the last 2 albums, by definition, leave me less nourished. they might to some, but that's all to do with taste and personal preference. on a personal note, my one complaint about the last 2 albums, as much as i love them, is that they are a bit too eager, there's a bit too much effort and sweat in them. but that doesn't mean that i think they're any less worthy than Achtung or UF or Pop. Achtung is my favorite, now and probably forever, but that's because of me, not them.

Irvine511 said:

to be more universal -- what i think we all need to remember is that U2 are popular artists. it is not up to them to make their music relevant to us.
what i want is to work to make their art, their self-expression, relevant to me.
they have given me more than i have given them.

excellent-all of it :up:

My U2 confession(s):

I did not know the dvd was out until I saw an email in my trash bin from @u2.

I do not plan on buying it anytime in the near future. Too many expenses and just not interested since this tour is not a distant memory for me. I was at one of the Chicago shows so as Pub Crawler kindly pointed out I have reason to buy it however I have two more shows yet to see and that is this Friday and Saturday.

I do not care to have GAs and have no interest in standing, camping in line.

I have no interest in meeting the band.

I just want to see and hear a good concert.

There are certain fans that attend the U2 concerts that bother the hell out of me.

Kristie said:
I bought the Slane DVD the day it came out and I still haven't watched it.

someone gave me Rattle and Hum as a wedding gift 2 months ago...I haven't even opened it yet:tsk:

I hate waiting in the GA line:|

:wink:

U2SavesTheWorld said:
I'm not buying it because I was at all of the Chicago shows and Bono sounded like a cat being run over by a car! :happy:

Plus, U2 fans in general are driving me crazy right now so, therefore, I'm completely annoyed with the band! :happy:

Plus, I'm not really into U2 right now! :happy:

U2SavesTheWorld :love:

I haven't bought the DVD yet because I already have the Slane DVD and I videotaped the Boston Elevation concert when it was on VH-1 (I guess that's a confession in itself - I never bought the Elevation DVD) - and it's not like there's a mind-blowing difference between the Elevation Tour and the Vertigo tour. Besides, I'm getting a little tired of U2 trying to get every available penny out of the fans.

I do have a $20 Best Buy card, but I'm thinking I'd almost rather use it on the new Kate Bush CD or the new John Lennon anthology CD.

Irvine511 said:
i suppose i don't know why some U2 fans pit one period against another. i am an Achtung Worshipper myself, i describe it as my "favorite thing ever" -- and by "thing" i include other CDs, premium denim, cars, boats, Diesel shoes, man bags, hair product, sofas, ice cream, tickets to Mamma Mia, etc. -- and it is the only album that i can't live without. but all the albums do different things to me and seem to have had an undue influence on my life as it has progressed since i discovered them in the late 80s/early 90s and became something of a superfan in the mid-1990s.

the Achtung/Zooropa period was, for me, almost a fantasy of a cooler, better life ... slick Euro-trash-ness, sort of, think vinyl, rain-slicked streets, Berlin, new world after the end of the Cold War, angsty songs about sex and wrestling with inner demons ... it was almost like a soap opera and just perfect for my early teenaged life when things were just getting complicated.

Pop came out my freshman year in college, right when i was also getting into techno music, and it was a study in irony, in not saying what you mean, in confronting through avoidance, the absent presence/present absence, etc., all the lit theory stuff i was studying in college i found applicable in the Pop-era, the whole using the master's tools (artifice) to take down the master's house (consumerism) is applicable to both PopMart as well as, say, early 20th century African-American literature.

ATYCLB was when i moved to europe, it was a wandering, pondering, "who am i and what really matters to me" album that was perfect for a rather isolated period in time, a time when i was coming to terms with being gay, and being totally on my own and stripped of all that i had grown up with and left with just myself, i was as bare as the songs, etc.

HTDAAB is all adrenaline, it's thrilling, it's helped me get back into shape because it's the best album to run to, and thematically
it's about a sort of reconciliation with finding out who you are and what matters and strengthening your core, your essence, of who you are and what you believe just as i'm figuring out who i am -- after 3 or so years in the "real world" -- and what i want and what matters and what is crap (a whole lot of the "real world" is crap) and what is important, and let's celebrate that.

and after all that, only then can you move forward.

at any U2 concert, i let each song -- whether from HutDab or Boy -- take me back to these places in my life, and it's usually a revelatory experience, new meaning opens up right in front of me, whether it was the startling revelation that "streets" pretty much coached me out of the nice-but-homogenous suburbs or that "kite" is *my* song or that "mysterious ways" is a rather apt summation of the futility of putting sexuality in a box, the world is always a little different after a U2 show from any era.

i suppose, if i might be so bold, is to question the music less, be a little less critical, and let it wash over you and meet the music where it is right now and where the band are right now. sort of be a little zen, a little buddhist ("this is what is now") about it.

at least that's my attitude.

:love: I love you. I can certainly identify. I think Pop is for me what Achtung is for you. It's the one album I know I will never tire of. I got into U2 when Pop came out and at the time I was only nine years old, so listening to it reminds me of being a kid. But I create new memories everyday, too. Like a couple weeks ago I took a walk and listening to ATYCLB, and it was so damn perfect outside, and everything seemed to be alright in my life for that hour or so when I was lost in that world of music. Now I'll think of that whenever I listen to ATYCLB as well as the time when it first came out and when I saw them for the first time on Elevation tour and other memories associated with individual songs. Music documents my life, and certainly the biggest part of that is U2.

Here's my confession: I like U2. A lot. I walked in the driving rain to get the Chicago DVD after school the day it came out (and I didn't even KNOW for sure if the place I was going would have it!), and that evening I watched the DVD straight through, entranced and in love. U2 has never truly disappointed me, and yes, I do get annoyed at the constant complaining and criticizing. I guess that means I'm one of those "blind followers" (hence the location). It's not that I don't think people have the right to criticize the band or whatever. There are certain little things that annoy me, things I wish U2 would do, ect, and I've posted criticisms of them plenty of times before (not to mention the sorry excuse for a website known as U2.com), probably because I prefer their 90's work so much. But seeing my boys get ragged on all the time irritates me, especially since it's by the fans, who seem to sometimes be worse than the haters :huh:

People that complain about being broke after going to 19 shows kill me. If I had the money and time to go to 19 shows, I sure wouldn't be complaining about it. I really feel fortunate that I've been able to see U2 twice this tour (well, once, but I will be seeing them in Cleveland, with GA's! :hyper: ), especially since some people can't see them at all. And yes, I'm excited about it, excited as hell. I really don't think I can overdose on U2. I get excited about the DVDs and every magazine article and every TV appearence and all that. U2 is the one thing that keeps me happy. Watching that DVD was a two-hour escape from all the shit going on in my life. I'm happiest when I'm just immersing myself in U2. I'm beyond loving the band - they're a part of me. Maybe that means I'm obsessive or annoying or a blind worshipper or whatever. Fine. I'll take all those labels and wear them proudly, because I love U2 that damn much. That's why I've got over 4000 posts here and have been lurking since I was 12 :p

I hope I didn't offend anybody in this post. I didn't mean to, I'm just being honest here. If you don't like current U2 or whatever, that's fine, I too feel HTDAAB was overproduced and not nearly as good as some of their past stuff. But as far as I'm concerned it's still a brilliant album and Vertigo Tour is among their best yet... but I'm perfectly okay with people disagreeing, along as they're not trolling (which isn't anyone in this thread, I don't think).

The more I listen to U2 as a whole, the more I can apply it to my own life, and incorperate all the different parts into all my different aspects. Orignally, I was standoffish about their 90s stuff, because it seemed so weird.

PErsonally, best of 1990-2000 is an album I don't really like, according to the songs the band chose to put on it. Some of their music, in that regard, puts me at a distance. But that is a small thing, and the bottome line is, I'll NEVER have another band mean the same things that U2 does to me.

The fact that they have created my favorite song, and even some of their covers (two off the top of my head at this moment - Unchained Melody and Night And Day), I find them more enjoying than the originals. There's something special about U2 to me, and I guess I don't need to say anything more than that.

AtomicBono said:

:love: I love you. I can certainly identify. I think Pop is for me what Achtung is for you. It's the one album I know I will never tire of. I got into U2 when Pop came out and at the time I was only nine years old, so listening to it reminds me of being a kid. But I create new memories everyday, too. Like a couple weeks ago I took a walk and listening to ATYCLB, and it was so damn perfect outside, and everything seemed to be alright in my life for that hour or so when I was lost in that world of music. Now I'll think of that whenever I listen to ATYCLB as well as the time when it first came out and when I saw them for the first time on Elevation tour and other memories associated with individual songs. Music documents my life, and certainly the biggest part of that is U2.

Here's my confession: I like U2. A lot. I walked in the driving rain to get the Chicago DVD after school the day it came out (and I didn't even KNOW for sure if the place I was going would have it!), and that evening I watched the DVD straight through, entranced and in love. U2 has never truly disappointed me, and yes, I do get annoyed at the constant complaining and criticizing. I guess that means I'm one of those "blind followers" (hence the location). It's not that I don't think people have the right to criticize the band or whatever. There are certain little things that annoy me, things I wish U2 would do, ect, and I've posted criticisms of them plenty of times before (not to mention the sorry excuse for a website known as U2.com), probably because I prefer their 90's work so much. But seeing my boys get ragged on all the time irritates me, especially since it's by the fans, who seem to sometimes be worse than the haters :huh:

People that complain about being broke after going to 19 shows kill me. If I had the money and time to go to 19 shows, I sure wouldn't be complaining about it. I really feel fortunate that I've been able to see U2 twice this tour (well, once, but I will be seeing them in Cleveland, with GA's! :hyper: ), especially since some people can't see them at all. And yes, I'm excited about it, excited as hell. I really don't think I can overdose on U2. I get excited about the DVDs and every magazine article and every TV appearence and all that. U2 is the one thing that keeps me happy. Watching that DVD was a two-hour escape from all the shit going on in my life. I'm happiest when I'm just immersing myself in U2. I'm beyond loving the band - they're a part of me. Maybe that means I'm obsessive or annoying or a blind worshipper or whatever. Fine. I'll take all those labels and wear them proudly, because I love U2 that damn much. That's why I've got over 4000 posts here and have been lurking since I was 12 :p

I hope I didn't offend anybody in this post. I didn't mean to, I'm just being honest here. If you don't like current U2 or whatever, that's fine, I too feel HTDAAB was overproduced and not nearly as good as some of their past stuff. But as far as I'm concerned it's still a brilliant album and Vertigo Tour is among their best yet... but I'm perfectly okay with people disagreeing, along as they're not trolling (which isn't anyone in this thread, I don't think).

I was going to post a reply, but I read this and just thought "that's what I wanted to say"...except I don't have 4000 posts. I just saw them three times this week (probably spent the best 4 or 5 hundred dollars ever!). I'm not complaining about being broke...I'm saying I'm glad to be broke for that reason, to see U2. Their recent efforts are not Achtung Baby-caliber, but they are still great albums that I can listen to all the way through, which is more than I can say for most of the other crap out there...

Back
Top Bottom